02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I was given the steps and the MEP Code over the phone WITHOUT any mention of this form...did VZW mess up? Not that I am complaining...just wondering...
    08-07-07 03:11 PM
    Well, I called back again and told them that I was of the understanding that there were no more requirements for either having to fulfill contract terms or pay full retail price. I also told her I was of the understanding that the only requirement was being a current VZW customer for the last 60 days. She said I was correct and that the prior rep was incorrect. She emailed me the correct terms/conditions that did not need to be signed.

She said they could only unlock phone unless I actually had the 3rd party SIM card in possession (which I didn't). I guess I'll get one and call back.
    08-07-07 03:18 PM
    Yes its true that you need a 3rd party sim to unlock the phone. They DO NOT need a sim card in your phone to provide you with the unlock code though.
    08-07-07 07:16 PM
    By third party - will the Vodafone SIM card supplied by Verizon count?
    08-07-07 08:36 PM
    i just got off of the phone with the verizon customer support. i asked for the 8-digit code, was placed on hold for about 5 minutes, and was told i would have to go into a verizon store with my authorized SIM card to get the 8 digit number. i asked for the code and would use it when i would place my SIM card in, but she would not tell me. did i do something wrong? are they supposed to give our numbers out? i'm confused now. this was the second time today i called. all the customer service rep. told me to do was put a password on my general security settings. i did that, but she said that all verizon phones come UNLOCKED by default. now, i am even more confused. could someone please help me? thanks in advance

P.S. i also asked about the GPS, but they have yet to decide on what to hand back to us users. the rep. stated (not entirely quoting her on this) that if Blackberry does not release a program for our phones in an update, then verizon will release one for us. this program, according to her, will be more than likely in a release patch like the one they recently released and will be free. she said that if they release their VZAccess, (or whichever pogram they have for the "Motorola Q" (i'm quoting her on that one)then we will have to pay everytime we use it. i hope this helps any fanboys out there somewhere
    Last edited by dblo7; 08-08-07 at 01:04 PM.
    08-08-07 12:52 PM
    The GSM side can be unlocked... I have a couple of colleagues toying with the process right now!!

If anything progresses I will post back to this thread.

Verizon released a Op system update on 8/2 that "unlocks" the SIM slot. After talking to a couple people at VZW, this only gives the ability to unlock the slot with a special code. One guy said by law they have to give you the code if you ask for it. Another guy said you have to have a "Global Plan" for 60 days first, then ask for the code, and then they give it to you. This code will only work overseas where you can use other provider's GSM network via their sim card. Domestically you are still totally stuck with Verizon. Hope that helps!
    08-08-07 02:58 PM
    P.S. i also asked about the GPS, but they have yet to decide on what to hand back to us users. the rep. stated (not entirely quoting her on this) that if Blackberry does not release a program for our phones in an update, then verizon will release one for us. this program, according to her, will be more than likely in a release patch like the one they recently released and will be free. she said that if they release their VZAccess, (or whichever pogram they have for the "Motorola Q" (i'm quoting her on that one)then we will have to pay everytime we use it. i hope this helps any fanboys out there somewhere

I just got off the phone with a medium level Data guy at VZW Corporate in Chandler (i will not give his name because he gave me info "off the record"). He said they killed GPS for 3rd party apps because the rushed to release the phone and did not have VZNavigator ready for it (as an extra fee). So they didn't want to have GPS running and urge people to seek other 3rd party solutions without having their own ready. However, he is not certain they will release the capability of GPS to 3rd party apps when they roll out VZNavigator on the 8830. They will "unblock" GPS with an update similar to the recent one on 8/2/07 (version 4.2.2.148). Don't expect to see it before they announce VZNavigator is ready. He said it only makes sense that the update would also unblock 3rd party apps from accessing the GPS, but he doesn't know for sure if they will. He does know Verizon expects a premium for their services because of their superior network so hence the hobbling of devices to extract that premium by offering their own (PAY) solutions. If we scream loud enough and often enough to free up the GPS, upper management may hear it and unlock the damn thing for GoogleMaps (which is free and awesome). Especially you business accounts out there, either scream at your reps to take the message up the chain, or have your Phone Admin folks do it. Strength in Numbers!!!

Love my 8830, love VZW most of the time, hate to find out they are hobbling devices from experiencing all the manufacturers designs...

Later
    08-08-07 03:21 PM
    I called and spoke with global support and had it unlocked in 10 minutes. I did have to insert a non-verizon sim card though. I did not have to push at all. They just did it. I did not pay full retail for my phone either.
    08-08-07 09:34 PM
    yea its now a "free" thing. i just want to know, where can i get an international sim card to complete this unlocking process (i live in the states)?
    08-09-07 05:11 PM
    I just used an att card. It worked fine. It was a prepaid card.
    08-09-07 09:02 PM
    i tried using a friend's tmobile sim card (he has a monthly plan) and when i try to unlock it still says "invalid sim card" (i did install the new OS). do you have to use a new prepaid sim card in order for this unlock to work?

thanks
    08-10-07 01:30 PM
    i just read through some of the other posts, and some people are requesting a clearcut answer to:

does the new OS upgrade unlock the GSM portion of the 8830 and not require use to go through the whole sim card/code unlocking process?

no one has given a clearcut answer to this yet. can someone please answer this question?
    08-10-07 03:55 PM
    i tried using a friend's tmobile sim card (he has a monthly plan) and when i try to unlock it still says "invalid sim card" (i did install the new OS). do you have to use a new prepaid sim card in order for this unlock to work?

thanks
    Are you sure you had the SIM card installed correctly? I made that mistake.

i just read through some of the other posts, and some people are requesting a clearcut answer to:

does the new OS upgrade unlock the GSM portion of the 8830 and not require use to go through the whole sim card/code unlocking process?

no one has given a clearcut answer to this yet. can someone please answer this question?
    It doesn't appear that the new OS alone will unlock the GSM portion. It appears that you still need to go through the whole sim card/code unlocking process.

I was able to unlock mine using a friend's ATT/Cingular SIM card. Took a total of 5 minutes. Question I have is do I need to go through the unlocking procedure each time I want to use a third party SIM or is my phone now unlocked permanently and I can use whatever SIM card I want (be it VZW or someone else when traveling abroad)?
    08-10-07 08:18 PM

thanks
    There have been reports of the new software not unlocking phones .... read the FAQ that I did and had posted at the very top of this forum because I have already addressed this. Chances are that will answer 99% of the questions people keep asking 20 times.

Now for your other question...No. You can use ANY sim card from ANY provider except the verizon / vodafone card. The reason your phone says "Invalid sim" is because your phone is still locked. This is what you do

1.) Insert sim... yes its going to say "invalid sim". This is normal
    2.) Go to options > advanced options > sim card and enter MEP2 (You will not see what you are typing.
    3.) The phone will ask for the MEP code. That is your UNLOCK CODE that you get from verizon. Enter that and it will accept the code
    4.) Your phone is now officially unlocked. It should no longer say invalid sim after a restart.

If your phone does either you screwed up entering it or gave VZW the bad IMEI or verizon did not hear you correctly and gave you the wrong MEP code for your phone. Its all based on your IMEI...one code will not work for more than 1 phone.

Are you sure you had the SIM card installed correctly? I made that mistake.

It doesn't appear that the new OS alone will unlock the GSM portion. It appears that you still need to go through the whole sim card/code unlocking process.

I was able to unlock mine using a friend's ATT/Cingular SIM card. Took a total of 5 minutes. Question I have is do I need to go through the unlocking procedure each time I want to use a third party SIM or is my phone now unlocked permanently and I can use whatever SIM card I want (be it VZW or someone else when traveling abroad)?
    No. Once the phone is unlocked, its unlocked for good. Point blank.
    08-11-07 08:48 AM
    Do the SIM cards from third parties allow you to use the internet and get email as well as voice?
    08-11-07 09:03 AM
    Do the SIM cards from third parties allow you to use the internet and get email as well as voice?
    It depends on the service provider. Some do, some dont. you have to investigate that with whoever you get a sim card from.
    08-11-07 03:18 PM
    Huh? "if Blackberry does not release a program for our phones"??? Both the 4.2.2.62 and 4.2.2.148 Verizon-supplied 8830 OS's have Blackberry Maps right there on the applications screen, ready to give you GPS maps if Verizon would just unblock it's access to the GPS chip. People, don't let Verizon double-talk you into thinking this is RIM doing it. Plain and simple it is Verizon (or Verizon specification to RIM) that access to the built-in GPS receiver be blocked.
    Sprint/Nextel GPS-capable Blackberry's come with both Blackberry Maps and TeleNav. TeleNav costs extra and gives you audible turn-by-turn driving directions, BBMaps is just plain vanilla. Why Verizon can't offer the same is beyond me, but they apparently want their own proprietary VZNavigator rather than sending revenue to TeleNav.
    08-13-07 03:00 PM
    Hello! First-time poster here...wanted to share some recent experiences.

I successfully installed the updated BB OS patch last week and last night finished unlocking the SIM slot using a prepaid card from GOSIM (Global version). I was holding my breath to make sure everything went without a hitch. All was smooth including the software update.

Last week, I was able to get the unlock instructions from VZW Global Support Team even without the SIM on hand. I didn't have to sign anything. The rep, without hesitation or confirmation, gave the instructions over the phone. FYI, you need to install the software update first before proceeding to unlock.

The phone sees the GOSIM card. I just can't connect to local GSM since the phone only works on the 900/1800 bands. I am confident that I will have no problems when I travel to Europe/Asia next month.

The fact that the phone's SIM was locked vs Sprint's version sort of bothered me but I have been a satisfied VZW customer for a long time, and decided to stick with them. Having an unlocked BB world phone which I got for $99 (after rebates)...all I can say is, wow - what a deal.

Cheers.
    08-14-07 10:15 AM
    Verizon isn't that bad afterall! Called Global Phone Services Team, 19085594899, 10 minutes ago and told them that I need my three 8830 unlocked since we are leaving for europe this weekend. I had no foreign sim at hand, my phones are not fully paid (just got them last month) and only one amongst the 3 has OS upgraded. No problem. After two guys who seem to be unaware about unlocking, they passed my inquiry to a sweet lady who just verified my info....Bam! She came back with individual codes for the three phones. Guided me to a procedure and asked if I wanted the waiver faxed or emailed. Just fax it. Thanks. End of call.

Then, took my other phone's sim (Tmob) and installed it in my 8830. Followed the procedure (blondeboyL #145), code accepted and finish..... Tmob sim card number appeared! UNLOCKED! I'm so excited to do the same with the other two. Thanks to y'all. I'm sure Verizon listens to our needs.
    08-14-07 07:05 PM
    I am a Blackberry newbie. In fact, I just got mine via FedEx a few hours ago. I bought it based on all of the info I read on this thread.

I was on a business trip in Germany for 2-months. I just got home about 3-weeks ago. One thing that sucked was that my VZW cell phone didn't work over there. I ended up buying a cheap little prepaid VodaPhone. I hated that phone. It worked, but it sure lacked even the very basics that my regular phone has. So I was (an still am) determined to find a phone that will work anywhere I go. That way I can get used to using one phone that has all of the features that I have come to love and rely on.

I don't like Verizon's business plan when it comes to overseas phones. $1.29 per minute? You have to be kidding me right? NO, they aren't! So that started my search for an "unlocked" Verizon phone. Not that I have any love for Verizon, but I've tried Sprint a few years ago and their connection in my area is not that great. Verizon have always worked better. After extensive research, I now know why (benefits of CDMA over GSM). I found this thread on a Google search and I was excited to read that some folks unlocked their 8830's. This is too cool. (Hopefully) this means that I can have this sleek new 8830 as my one and only phone; do email, web browsing, and other cool "geek" features, and the next time I go back to Germany, NOT have to pay outragous fees just to call a local #. Just the thought makes this geeky Network Engineer gitty.

I have a lot more research to do over the next few weeks just to learn how to get the full benefits from the 8830, but (hopefully) I will be using that prepaid VodaPhone SIM to unlock it soon. My next trip to Germany will probably be for 4-months (or more), and I bet it will be coming soon.

I know that is a lot of useless information that y'all probably didn't need, but it is my first post on CrackBerry and I just wanted to thank y'all for all of the continuing research and sharing the wealth of knowledge.
    08-14-07 11:41 PM
    I did the above procedure a while back with the supplied VZW/Vodafone SIM card and it said "code accepted"??!!
    08-15-07 01:27 PM
    I have had the OK from Verizon to get an unlocked 8830 for a few weeks. I even plan to pay retail. I really just want the 8830 to make calls and text messages while I travel.

But I was told by a few reps that I had to buy a data plan as well. I think I can get around this. Anyone else have an 8830 without a data plan .

Also, if we pay full price and get it unlocked, will Verizon unlock the GPS?
    Yes, thru US Cellular. You can just get the voice plan
    08-15-07 08:37 PM
    I posted yesterday that I just got my 8830. It did not come with the SIM card. Evidently when I ordered online at Verizon's site I thought I set it up with the International service plan. Appearantly, I did not. I did set it up for the unlimited data plan. (A good thing) So, I wonder if I can still ask to be unlocked and go through all of these steps mentioned earlier. I'll try it tomorrow at work, and see what happens, so I am thinkin' that I will never need to subscribe to their world wide voice service. If I can get it unlocked, I'll just throw the other SIM in when I go overseas.
    08-15-07 10:03 PM
    at blondeboyl

2.) Go to options > advanced options > sim card and enter MEP2 (You will not see what you are typing.
    3.) The phone will ask for the MEP code. That is your UNLOCK CODE that you get from verizon. Enter that and it will accept the code
    4.) Your phone is now officially unlocked. It should no longer say invalid sim after a restart.

at step 2 you say type in mep2 you should not be able to see this onscreen

when i type in mep2 nothing happens but when i type in mepd i get a new screen but no where does it ask for my 8 digit code i got from global support

the new screen looks something like

sim card: no valid sim card
    personalization:
    SIM Unknown
    Network Unknown
    Network Subset Unk.
    Service Provider Unk.
    Corporate Unk.

Ive already updated to the new 4.2something and am using an at&t sim
    any help would be great
    08-16-07 05:00 PM
    at blondeboyl

at step 2 you say type in mep2 you should not be able to see this onscreen

when i type in mep2 nothing happens but when i type in mepd i get a new screen but no where does it ask for my 8 digit code i got from global support

the new screen looks something like

sim card: no valid sim card
    personalization:
    SIM Unknown
    Network Unknown
    Network Subset Unk.
    Service Provider Unk.
    Corporate Unk.

Ive already updated to the new 4.2something and am using an at&t sim
    any help would be great
    If you dont get a pop up box asking for the MEP code saying you have 10 tries left, your doing something wrong. Are you hitting the ALT key before you hit "2" so it actually registers a "2" and not an E?

No matter what your doing something wrong... This has worked for everyone across the county who has done this
    08-16-07 05:40 PM
698 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD