02-08-15 11:57 AM
698 ... 34567 ...
tools
    THERE IS a post with pictures that of a working 8830 with a tmobile sim card but now i am reading these new posts that it doesnt, what is true and what is not ? remember there are pictures to prove it, unless they've been photoshoped but i hardly doubt it
    08-02-07 11:40 PM
    THERE IS a post with pictures that of a working 8830 with a tmobile sim card but now i am reading these new posts that it doesnt, what is true and what is not ? remember there are pictures to prove it, unless they've been photoshoped but i hardly doubt it
    The pics are of MY phone with the tmobile sim - I am the originator of that post. I only used the TMobile sim to UNLOCK the phone, but the phone does not work on GSM networks here in the states. I never said anywhere in there that I could jump onto Tmobile-usa's network to use the phone. To unlock a phone, you need to use a sim card that is not your own carriers.
    08-03-07 12:42 PM
    with the new software it actually unlocks the phone
    08-03-07 03:03 PM
    with the new software it actually unlocks the phone
    Thats good to know.
    08-03-07 04:58 PM
    Does the new software unlock the phone to use with 3rd party SIM cards? I called Global Support and they told me that there is no unlock code to get the 8830 to work with 3rd party SIM card and that they do not support it. So I guess I'm a little confused.
    08-03-07 05:08 PM
    Does the new software unlock the phone to use with 3rd party SIM cards? I called Global Support and they told me that there is no unlock code to get the 8830 to work with 3rd party SIM card and that they do not support it. So I guess I'm a little confused.
    Go to the 8830 FAQ and read. This question and questions similar to it have been asked 50 billion times. There is a clear definition in there about what unlocking is and does.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/883...ad-first-3308/
    08-03-07 06:13 PM
    [QUOTE=BlondeBoyL;22595]Go to the 8830 FAQ and read. This question and questions similar to it have been asked 50 billion times. There is a clear definition in there about what unlocking is and does.

[
    thanks, didn't catch it earlier....so i assume after software upgrade, phone is unlocked and can be used w/3rd party SIMs.
    08-03-07 06:34 PM
    [QUOTE=BlondeBoyL;22595]Go to the 8830 FAQ and read. This question and questions similar to it have been asked 50 billion times. There is a clear definition in there about what unlocking is and does.

1) Does the new software enable unlocking without having to have purchased the phone for $519 retail or is that still the same and we still need to get the code from Verizon Global Services?

2) How horrible are the international roaming/data charges in real life usage?
    In other words, for a business user is it worth paying full price for the phone, unlocking it, using a local/global SIM while traveling in Europe?

Steve
    08-05-07 06:09 PM
    [QUOTE=backdoc;22878]
    Go to the 8830 FAQ and read. This question and questions similar to it have been asked 50 billion times. There is a clear definition in there about what unlocking is and does.

1) Does the new software enable unlocking without having to have purchased the phone for $519 retail or is that still the same and we still need to get the code from Verizon Global Services?

2) How horrible are the international roaming/data charges in real life usage?
    In other words, for a business user is it worth paying full price for the phone, unlocking it, using a local/global SIM while traveling in Europe?

Steve
    1.) Yes. You no longer have to call verizon
    2.) Depends where you go. If your doing CDMA roaming rates start at .69 cents. GSM roaming starts at 1.29 and can go as high as 4.99 / minute. To answer your question about it being worth it... HECK YEAH! Lets use me for an example. I am going to france in march and the roaming rate there is 1.29 weather its incomming or outgoing calls. Using my global sim, ALL incomming calls are free and all my outgoing calls are .60 cents including calls to the states. The global card does not charge based on where your calling, it only charges based on where you are calling from. If I want to get a sim local to france all of my in country calls are like .15 - 45 cents I think...I have to do the euro conversion but my calls to the states are like .80 cents. Either way its still WAY cheaper than using the VZW roaming.

Bonus info for you... Just to save you a question, the sim card I use right now is the GoSim (International SIM Cards from GOSIM™ - cheap mobile calls from abroad) global sim card. There are plenty of other global sim cards out there you just have to find one to fit your needs. If you want a sim local to one county (the cheapest option) have a look at Telestial.com - Prepaid SIM Cards and Unlocked GSM Cell Phones and pick the country. The only downside to a local sim is that its only good (meaning cheap) for that one country otherwise you will pay CRAZY roaming rates
    08-05-07 07:00 PM
    [QUOTE=BlondeBoyL;22883]

1.) Yes. You no longer have to call verizon
    2.) Depends where you go. If your doing CDMA roaming rates start at .69 cents. GSM roaming starts at 1.29 and can go as high as 4.99 / minute. To answer your question about it being worth it... HECK YEAH! Lets use me for an example. I am going to france in march and the roaming rate there is 1.29 weather its incomming or outgoing calls. Using my global sim, ALL incomming calls are free and all my outgoing calls are .60 cents including calls to the states. The global card does not charge based on where your calling, it only charges based on where you are calling from. If I want to get a sim local to france all of my in country calls are like .15 - 45 cents I think...I have to do the euro conversion but my calls to the states are like .80 cents. Either way its still WAY cheaper than using the VZW roaming.

Bonus info for you... Just to save you a question, the sim card I use right now is the GoSim ]International SIM Cards from GOSIM - cheap mobile calls from abroad global sim card. There are plenty of other global sim cards out there you just have to find one to fit your needs. If you want a sim local to one county (the cheapest option) have a look at Telestial.com - Prepaid SIM Cards and Unlocked GSM Cell Phones and pick the country. The only downside to a local sim is that its only good (meaning cheap) for that one country otherwise you will pay CRAZY roaming rates
    Thanks,

I guess I don't have to pay $519 for it anymore, yea!

I have the Telestial Global SIM that I've used in Uk/France/Italy/South Africa/Portugal without any problems and I look forward to using it in the 8830. I use a Quadband Motorola L6 with it and hated not having my contacts and calandar with me and now I can.

Keep up the great work.

Steve
    08-05-07 08:58 PM
    Well I updated my Verizon 8830 with the latest software. I inserted a Vodaphone SIM I purchased for an upcoming trip to europe next week and I'm still getting the Invalid Sim Card message. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
    08-06-07 01:18 AM
    i have the same problem i updated the software and i am still getting "invalid message"
    08-06-07 01:53 AM
    hmm...looks like the software update might now be doing what its advertised to do. I will try and figure out whats going on.
    08-06-07 06:47 AM
    So does the new software automatically unlock the phone or does one still need to follow some unlocking steps? Thx.
    08-06-07 04:15 PM
    First time poster but been reading for a few weeks.

Hi,

I too was concerned about the SIM unlock issues, however, I started the unlock process about 90 minutes ago and my phone is now SIM unlocked. The requirements are that you only need to be a Verizon subscriber for the past 60 days to receive the unlock code. You do not need to pay the difference to retail or wait until your contract is up anymore. I used the verizon FAQ automated system, had a response within 10 minutes. That response emailed me the waiver that I signed and faxed back. Within 30 minutes I received a phone call and was talked through the unlock process. I am by no means a genius at this stuff, but I will tell you that I had to disable my connections before attempting to enter the 8-digit numerical code. The only person I feel I can trust at this stage is BlondeBoy, so if he PM's me I will tell him my code and give him further info in order to confirm the legitimacy of my post.

I'm sorry to those who had to pay a fortune to get your code. If you have been with Verizon for at least 2 months you should seriously look into getting a refund of the extra you paid or at least a service credit.

I look forward to learning how to use the many functions of my new toy.
    08-06-07 08:55 PM
    I did call a their Global Support and they did say that the old terms we're still valid (pay full retail or finish your contract). Are you saying this is no longer the case?
    08-06-07 09:58 PM
    Yes I am. Try calling back and quoting their "MR1 Update" of 7/27 and that now the only requirment is a previous 60day subscription to Verizon. You should be good to go.

PM me and I'll give you a name and number to fax the form to.
    Last edited by madfox; 08-06-07 at 10:33 PM. Reason: typo
    08-06-07 10:32 PM
    Just wanted to let everyone know that Madfox is spot on.

I called back again, this time asking the rep about update MR1. After being put on hold for 5 minutes she came back and said that things had changed and now the requirements we're only that you had to have been a customer for 60 days! Woohoo!

Unfortunately during that 5 minutes Global Tech Support closed for the night, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get the phone unlocked. She did say she put a note on my account so there wouldn't be any confusion when I called back. Fingers crossed...
    08-07-07 02:43 AM
    Can someone give a clear statement. Will the update (VZW Device Update)solve the unlocking problem in itself? OR do we still need to call Global Tech Support after the update to guide us in the unlocking process?

Thanks! BlondboyL, you the man!
    08-07-07 11:09 AM
    First time poster...long time lurker...

I updated my software and called VZ Global Tech Suport. Within five minutes they gave me the step by step process over the phone. I don't have a SIM card so they gave me the instructions and my MEP 8 digit code. I am guessing that should do it.

So to answer a lot of the questions on here...I think you still have to call in to get the instructions and the 8 digit MEP Code for your phone even if you update your phone with the latest software...
    08-07-07 11:21 AM
    I finally got a confirmation that they will unlock the 8830 without paying retail if you have been a customer for the past 60 days.

But they will not do the same with their two other world phones that have CDMA and GSM. So I guess having Sprint selling their 8830 unlocked got Verizon to ease up on their policy.
    08-07-07 11:22 AM
    What is the number that we have to call to get this done?
    08-07-07 11:55 AM
    I'm a new users I've only been playing with Crackberry's and crackberry servers for about 2 months so may be a stupid question. But if the user is on a BES and they perform this and use a 3rd party Sim overseas will they still stay connect to a BES?
    08-07-07 01:42 PM
    Important Information Regarding Use of Non-Global Phone

Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) Cards in Verizon Wireless Global Phones

Your Verizon Wireless Global Phone is equipped with a compatible Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) Card (the “Global Phone SIM Card”) for use when roaming in ‘GSM Mode’ within the then-current Global Phone Service Area (GPSA), as published on "link". When traveling internationally outside of the GPSA, You may use the Global Phones in ‘CDMA Mode’ throughout Verizon Wireless’ international roaming service area, subject to applicable rates, terms and conditions. A current list of countries where international roaming service is available is accessible at "link".

To obtain voice/data service outside of the GPSA using a Global Phone in ‘GSM Mode’, Your Global Phone must first be ‘unlocked’ by entering a numerical code (“Unlock Code”) into the phone (see Your phone manufacturer’s user guide for instructions). Once unlocked, You may insert another wireless carrier’s SIM Card (“Other SIM Card”) into the Global Phone to obtain service from that carrier. Each Global Phone has a unique Unlock Code. Unlock Codes are available upon request from Verizon Wireless subject to the following terms and conditions:

1. You must be an authorized contact on your Verizon Wireless account to request an Unlock Code.

2. All Unlock Code requests must be processed by the Global Phone Services Team, which may be contacted at 908-559-4899.

3. For each Global Phone for which an Unlock Code is requested, You must either have: (i) met the minimum contract term for that line of service; or (ii) paid full retail price for the Global Phone. If You have not met either of these requirements, an Unlock Code may be provided to You upon receipt of payment of the difference between the amount paid by You for the Global Phone and the full retail price of the Global Phone. A credit card is required for payment.

4. You agree to use the Global Phone SIM Card when roaming in ‘GSM Mode’ within the then-current GPSA throughout the term of Your Customer Agreement with Verizon Wireless. Failure to abide by this requirement may result in suspension or termination without notice of Your Global Phone service.

5. You agree that Global Phone rates do not apply to any service obtained through the use of Other SIM Cards, and that Verizon Wireless is not responsible for, and has no information about, such service.

6. YOu agree that any and all use of Other SIM Cards in the Global Phone is at YOUR sole risk and expense and is subject to the rates, terms and conditions of the applicable wireless carrier.

7. You agree that, to the extent applicable when using Other SIM Cards, Your use of the Global Phone remains subject to Your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement, Calling Plan and Global Phone terms and conditions, including without limitation, the requirement to abide by all applicable foreign laws when using the Global Phone outside of the United States.

8. You agree that, when signed below by You, these Terms and Conditions become part of your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement and Calling Plan.

**This is the form VZW wants me to sign, I was under the impression that we just needed to be a subscriber in good standing for the last 60 days...can anyone confirm is this is the right form?**
    08-07-07 02:48 PM
    That is the correct form.
    08-07-07 03:58 PM
698 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD