02-08-15 11:57 AM
698 ... 23456 ...
tools
    My next trip to Europe is late September. I also have an unlocked Samsung Z500 Triband phone that should work with global SIMS too.
    07-13-07 06:07 PM
    BLONDBOYL

I am in medical and from a medical standpoint Europe shuts down all summer until early September. I have no plans to return to Europe until mid-September.

Where does this debate come from? I find it hard to beleive that Verizon would take money from their customers and then not deliver the goods. I am in medical not law, but I am sure there is something criminal about that type of activity which would not be good for a public company.
    Sometimes American Corporate Arrogance knows no bounds...
    07-15-07 02:29 AM
    Gentlemen, I have read with interest the discussion concerning unlocking Verizon's 8830, as I am also interested in travel overseas. The simplest and most cost effective approach is to purchase an inexpensive phone in the country you visit. A friend in Italy gave me an old phone, and I purchased a prepaid SIM card (TIM), which comes with 30, 40 or 50 Euro denominations (the card is free with the prepaid minutes). The cost to call the U.S. is pennies.

That said, I would like to unlock the 8830. However, I urge that you understand what motivates your adversary before engaging in battle. Verizon is simply pursuing a good business model. They provide excellent service in the U.S., and my experience with service calls has been excellent. Wanting to charge for a roaming relationship with Vodafone makes perfect sense, especially since Vodafone has to get their share of the pie.

I do not believe that Verizon personnel are intentionally withholding information. In fact, I have found them to be quite helpful, and when lacking knowledge, they move the call up the resource tree. Each employee cannot know everything about every phone.

In that they provide the phone at a discount, they have a right to "own" the network that you call through, hence the contract constraints on unlocking. If you own the phone outright, then they should provide the code without hesitation. Berating Verizon for pursuing a policy that any of us would, as Board members or CEO, recommend seems disingenuous.

Sprint's proported delivery of unlocked phones is their marketing approach. They have calculated that the loss revenue will be superceded by revenue gained from those of us interested in this featrue. I suspect that they have miscalculated, but time will tell.

Pi variables
    07-15-07 11:16 PM
    abhorredlife:

There is a LEGIT way to have the 8830 unlocked. Just pay full price and sign their indemnity/agreement paperwork.
    07-16-07 09:33 AM
    Pi Variables:
    You are 100% correct!!! After I approached Verizon to unlock my 8830 they provided me a plan and walked me through it step by step. I was treated fairly and with respect. It was a clear business decision for both of us. I will use their card most of the time but when I know I have a hour plus phone call to make I will replace the verizon SIMS with my German one.
    I was with AT&T for 10 years, Sprint for 8 years and Verizon for the past 1.5 years. Verizon is so far superior to those other companies that they are worth the extra fees. I will always choose to pay more for good service over bad service and lower prices.
    07-16-07 04:33 PM
    Gary01 - We think alike. I believe that Verizon's customer service is excellent. However, this is not a service issue. It is a business model issue. Those complaining either have not owned or run a business, or don't understand business. More important is the hesitation one must have in wanting to use a foreign carrier's SIM. Use of another SIM would not provide for unlimited E-mail or Internet access. Sixty-five dollars U.S. buys a month of unlimited data connection overseas (Verizon). Yes, I can unlock my phone, I simply don't care to. For voice calls I use an old GSM European phone and a 50 Euro pre-paid SIM, with U.S. calls costing 14 cents per minute.

Pi Variables
    07-17-07 02:10 AM
    I agree with you guys verizon is the best! I've been with every major cell carrier in the US and verizon is always there to help. I had 3 Motorola Q's in about a year my first one died the second and third never worked properly after talking with customer service they gave me a chance to pick any phone i wanted so i picked the 8830. By far the best decision
    07-17-07 04:12 AM
    Verizon may be the best cell carrier, but they are not the best company i do business with. In fact they are the worst
    07-17-07 01:03 PM
    Back to the topic at hand....

Has anyone taken their unlocked crackberry overseas yet to test out to make sure its unlocked?

Also anyone here have a sprint blackberry thats unlocked and tried a global sim in there to test and make sure its unlocked as well?

go to options --> Advanced options --> sim card --> and enter MEP2 and tell what it says under NETWORK. Does it say "Active" or "Disabled"?
    07-17-07 04:37 PM
    Can someone give me the link or a step by step way of getting ahold of vzw. So I can send an email. And possible get my berry unlocked?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You have 2 options:

1.) The option I used - Send an e-mail to verizon VIA the contact us link on the website and do customer feed back and explain to them you want your phone unlocked.

2.) Call 800.711.2900 and tell them you want the phone unlocked.

In both cases you either 1.) have to have paid FULL RETAIL ($519.00) for the phone or 2.) if you did a discount, you have to be prepared to pay the difference between that and full retail.
    07-19-07 08:19 AM
    Yes. I am in Wuxi China and I use a China Mobile SIM card. Less than perfect though. The phone wants to display Chinese characters and can't...at least on the phones screens. It does, however, display Chinese characters in my translator, although that may be a graphic, ratehr than text.

Also, the phone goes to "GSM" upon startup and then changes to "gprs". I'm purposely typing in the text case that the phone displays because I think that the lower case "gprs" says I am not connected correctly.

Also, numbers in my address book for locals show a "+" sign when choosing to dial them and it does not dial correctly. I think it may actually be calling out CDMA.

Another issue is that I have been, "occasionally" been receiving a 523 error and need to reset.

Anyone have some good old wisdom here?
    07-20-07 09:59 PM
    Yes. I am in Wuxi China and I use a China Mobile SIM card. Less than perfect though. The phone wants to display Chinese characters and can't...at least on the phones screens. It does, however, display Chinese characters in my translator, although that may be a graphic, ratehr than text.

Also, the phone goes to "GSM" upon startup and then changes to "gprs". I'm purposely typing in the text case that the phone displays because I think that the lower case "gprs" says I am not connected correctly.

Also, numbers in my address book for locals show a "+" sign when choosing to dial them and it does not dial correctly. I think it may actually be calling out CDMA.

Another issue is that I have been, "occasionally" been receiving a 523 error and need to reset.

Anyone have some good old wisdom here?
    The + is not a bad thing, the + is what does the international dialing for you, rather than trying to figure out what you need to dial to call international. Example here in the US we would normally dial 011 or in the uk they have to dial something else ( dont remember what) but it takes the guess work out for you. All you need is the country code of where you want to dial.

If your phone is dialing CDMA, then it should say 1X or EVDO next to the signal icon. If you are unsure, take your phone off of global mode and set it to GSM only or CDMA only (Options --> Mobile network ---> Network mode).

As far as your error code goes... I have no clue...
    07-21-07 08:44 AM
    can someone help me out ??
    I m stuck with a blackberry 8830 VERIZON locked
    I m overseas in PARIS,FRANCE
    I tried to call a Verizon Rep but he said he was unable to help
    07-26-07 04:31 AM
    You have 2 options:

1.) The option I used - Send an e-mail to verizon VIA the contact us link on the website and do customer feed back and explain to them you want your phone unlocked.

2.) Call 800.711.2900 and tell them you want the phone unlocked.

In both cases you either 1.) have to have paid FULL RETAIL ($519.00) for the phone or 2.) if you did a discount, you have to be prepared to pay the difference between that and full retail.

Just make sure that you are NOT calling them from your verizon phone, as you have to do work on the phone to enter the code. Since you are already overseas, it may be better to grab a local france prepaid phone for the time being because your calls back to the states to get this done may get pricey.
    07-26-07 08:37 AM
    FYI. I tried to call 800-711-2900 and it does not work. Try 800.711.8300 or 888.844.0395 for info on unlocking the phones.
    07-27-07 12:42 PM
    Here's an idea : leave Verizon for a carrier that doesn't screw its customers. I have left them a long time ago and never looked back, that company is based in crookville...
    07-28-07 01:11 AM
    Hey does anyone know what its supposed to say in the menu after you input MEPD to know if its unlocked because it might as well be in chinese I don't understand it I'm a n00b to unlocking phones. . (Options -> Advanced Options -> SIM Card -> then you key MEPD)

I addressed this issue in another forum. go here..

unlock the 8830 - Page 2 - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Aparently our phones being CDMA and GSM dont conform to the GSM rules regarding being unlocked.

If you dont want to read, to sum it up one guy says if it does not say "Disabled" or "inactive" under network its locked but I counter with mine being unlocked saying "active" and a few sprint users say the same thing about theirs and we know the sprint phones are unlocked.
    07-29-07 08:14 PM
    Ok it kinda helps. At the top it says.

SIM Card: Securety Enabled

ID # 002**.......

Personalization:
    SIM: Disabled
    Network: Active
    Network Subset: Disabled
    Service Providor: Disabled
    Corperate: Disabled

(Note I have the Verizon Global SIM card) I had a friend unlock it. I want to know if it worked. When I put in a At&T SIM inside it says Invalid SIM. Could this be it is not unlocked?

No, your still locked. When you put in another sim it should not say "invalid sim", it should say nothing at all. FYI when you unlock it you need to do it with a sim card thats not verizon. I used a friends tmo sim card since my global card was not here yet. By the way did your friend get the unlock code from verizon? Right now they are the only people with the code.
    07-30-07 06:47 AM
    I'm not sure where he got the code but it was for free so no big deal. So to unlock it I cannot have the Verizon/Vodafone SIM card that came with the global package in the 8830? Does it have to be tmo? Because I have AT&T SIM cards (though inactive). Pin me its easier. pin:30185abd

No it does not have to be T-Mo, thats just what I had handy at the time BUT you CAN NOT do it with the verizon / vodafone card since thats the card its designed to work with.
    07-30-07 09:16 AM
    I was told that once Verizon unlocks the 8830 you can use either their GSM SIM or any other SIM you buy to make or receive calls in Europe.
    07-31-07 03:02 PM

OK so i am new to this site and let me say so far it has helped me much more than the local retail stores around me.

IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN THERE IS NOW WAY TO GET THIS NEW BB 8830 UNLOCKED TO USE WITH A T MOBILE OR CINGULAR CARD CORRECT ?

unless i get the codes exclusively from verizon, right ?. Because then i am thinking it is a matter of time before someone finds a solution to this problem with us 8830 owners. Otherwise i want to sell it now to get something that works
    08-01-07 11:59 PM

OK so i am new to this site and let me say so far it has helped me much more than the local retail stores around me.

IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN THERE IS NOW WAY TO GET THIS NEW BB 8830 UNLOCKED TO USE WITH A T MOBILE OR CINGULAR CARD CORRECT ?

unless i get the codes exclusively from verizon, right ?. Because then i am thinking it is a matter of time before someone finds a solution to this problem with us 8830 owners. Otherwise i want to sell it now to get something that works
    Again, You can NOT use the 8830 on american gsm networks. The 8830 does not have the 850 / 1900 MHZ frequency. It only has the 900 / 1800 which is what is used internationally
    08-02-07 06:44 AM
    Correct. The device itself is not capable of operating on USA GSM, only International GSM. Regardless of the locked/unlocked status of the device or what SIM card you install.
    08-02-07 11:41 AM
    HOPE THIS HELPS YOU GUYS

Dear Mike Jones,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We apologize that you are not able to get your BlackBerry 8830 unlocked for use overseas. We are happy to assist you with your concern on using the BlackBerry 8830.

All Verizon Wireless Global Phones have the SIM locked, which means that the phones are programmed to operate in GSM mode only with a Verizon Wireless SIM card. In order for a Global Phone to operate in GSM mode using another carrier's SIM card, a special code must be entered into the phone. Each phone has a unique code, which can be provided by the Global Phone Support team (GPST) by dialing 1-908-559-4899.

The GPST will provide the unlock code only under the following circumstances:

- If you have completed the contract term
    - If you pay full price for the phone (or, for existing customers, the difference between the price they paid for the phone and the full retail price of the phone)

If you have other questions or concerns, please write to us again through Cell Phones, Mobile Phones and plans for Personal - Verizon Wireless. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Gaylan
    Verizon Wireless
    Data Technical Support
    08-02-07 12:46 PM
    HOPE THIS HELPS YOU GUYS

Dear Mike Jones,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We apologize that you are not able to get your BlackBerry 8830 unlocked for use overseas. We are happy to assist you with your concern on using the BlackBerry 8830.

All Verizon Wireless Global Phones have the SIM locked, which means that the phones are programmed to operate in GSM mode only with a Verizon Wireless SIM card. In order for a Global Phone to operate in GSM mode using another carrier's SIM card, a special code must be entered into the phone. Each phone has a unique code, which can be provided by the Global Phone Support team (GPST) by dialing 1-908-559-4899.

The GPST will provide the unlock code only under the following circumstances:

- If you have completed the contract term
    - If you pay full price for the phone (or, for existing customers, the difference between the price they paid for the phone and the full retail price of the phone)

If you have other questions or concerns, please write to us again through Cell Phones, Mobile Phones and plans for Personal - Verizon Wireless. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Gaylan
    Verizon Wireless
    Data Technical Support
    Not being a **** or anything but what does this prove? We have been through all of this and discussed this stuff about 6 pages ago. Matter fact Im the one who got the whole ball rolling regarding getting the phone unlocked and I believe I was the first to have it done.
    08-02-07 02:55 PM
698 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD