02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 12345 ...
tools
    I have had the OK from Verizon to get an unlocked 8830 for a few weeks. I even plan to pay retail. I really just want the 8830 to make calls and text messages while I travel.

But I was told by a few reps that I had to buy a data plan as well. I think I can get around this. Anyone else have an 8830 without a data plan .

Also, if we pay full price and get it unlocked, will Verizon unlock the GPS?
    The GPS is a WHOLE nother fight. There are a few posts floating around about that issue. As far as the data goes... I dont think verizon will let you not have a data plan on the 8830. Aparently the phone is always connected or something like that so its always doing something. Now if thats true and you dont have a data plan you will be paying a small fortune in charges for any data you do. I disabled PUSH updates on mine and I dont seem to use much data other than when I use infospace Findit. I could be wrong but thats just the info I got so what I did was, I kept my original voice plan and just did the 24.99 data plan add on for 10MB and thats plenty for me.
    07-10-07 05:14 PM
    I just had my phone unlocked! I paid the additional $119 and my contract only runs through 3/08 the same as my old contract. It was an easy process. After my next trip to Europe I will let all know how it works. Thank you all for your support and guidance. The BB is GREAT! I have been a prisoner of the Treo's since the 300 first came out. It is so nice to leave the darkside!
    Hey gary i forgot to mention in my last post, dont forget to get your global sim card man. If you need some recommendations just let me know and I will help you pick one.
    07-10-07 05:16 PM
    I have been researching global SIM cards. There are really a lot of things to consider. I prefer one with lots of free incoming calls and a long life before they need to be reloaded. Some have an Estonia number, but I think I prefer a UK number. Anyone have any suggestions? I am close to buying a Passport SIM from Telestial.
    07-10-07 05:24 PM
    I have been researching global SIM cards. There are really a lot of things to consider. I prefer one with lots of free incoming calls and a long life before they need to be reloaded. Some have an Estonia number, but I think I prefer a UK number. Anyone have any suggestions? I am close to buying a Passport SIM from Telestial.
    The passport sim is a good choice and its a UK (+44 number) but the rates are higher plus there is a connection fee of 25 cents per call. I bought the GoSim sim card. Although it is an estonia based number, i do get a 1800 number for my friends to call me on when I am overseas and there is NO expiration on my card or credit on the sim. The passport you have to add money atleast once a year otherwise you loose your number.

THere is a russian one out there too but I did not want a russian number that did not offer a 1800 number option BUT the russian one is the cheapest at 35 bucks
    07-10-07 05:28 PM
    Telestial also has an Explorer SIM with an Estonia number. No connection fees. I will check out GOSIM too.
    07-10-07 05:37 PM
    Telestial also has an Explorer SIM with an Estonia number. No connection fees. I will check out GOSIM too.
    In all honestly Gosim and Explorer are basically the same except go sim has no expiration. I think you will like that card alot... I spent a week researching other cards before settling on that one. Passport use to be the best deal out there but they jacked up their rates and started adding on all the surcharges
    07-10-07 05:42 PM
    BLONDEBOYL
    I have a SIMS card from my German phone that I am planning on using. I have an office in Munich and was able to obtain the phone that way. The 8830 puts it all together so I will only use the German SIMS for my known long calls.
    07-10-07 05:56 PM
    BLONDEBOYL
    I have a SIMS card from my German phone that I am planning on using. I have an office in Munich and was able to obtain the phone that way. The 8830 puts it all together so I will only use the German SIMS for my known long calls.
    Ah ok thats cool.
    07-10-07 06:32 PM
    I have had the OK from Verizon to get an unlocked 8830 for a few weeks. I even plan to pay retail. I really just want the 8830 to make calls and text messages while I travel.

But I was told by a few reps that I had to buy a data plan as well. I think I can get around this. Anyone else have an 8830 without a data plan .

Also, if we pay full price and get it unlocked, will Verizon unlock the GPS?
    No Verizon will NOT let you get the Blackberry without a data plan. Our account is in my wife's name and when we got back from the UK we had a bill for almost $300 waiting for us and that didn't include any calls we made while we were there ony the service charges for the month. She called to find out why and they told her that you can't get a BB without a data plan "After all that is why they were designed in the first place". After over an hour on the phone with them she finally got a $25/mo 10mg plan.
    07-11-07 06:50 AM
    No Verizon will NOT let you get the Blackberry without a data plan. Our account is in my wife's name and when we got back from the UK we had a bill for almost $300 waiting for us and that didn't include any calls we made while we were there ony the service charges for the month. She called to find out why and they told her that you can't get a BB without a data plan "After all that is why they were designed in the first place". After over an hour on the phone with them she finally got a $25/mo 10mg plan.
    OK, no offence, but why on earth would someone want to buy a BB without a dataplan? That's just a stupid move. Honestly, it's even a stupid move to get only a 10MB a month plan. The unlimited data plan is only 30 if it's part of a BB voice package. If you don't want a data plan, don't buy a PDA Smartphone! Stop trying to be trendy and cheap at the same time.
    07-11-07 08:22 AM
    I am not trying to be trendy in buying an 8830 without a data plan. As I said, I want a phone to use through out Europe and the US. I want it unlocked so I can buy either a country SIM or global SIM.

Verizon has two other global phones with CDMA and GSM that are not the 8830. They are several years old, with older technology and missing some features. Plus I would have to pay full price as well.

I do not need e-mail or Web access. Just the ability to call or get calls around the world. In the next year I will be in over 20 countries including most of Europe plus Egypt, Malta and Tunisia. I want to install a Global SIM to allow free or cheaper incoming calls than the $1.29 to $2.29 that Verizon would charge.

I don't want to pay several hundred dollars a year more for a data plan I don't need.
    07-11-07 08:35 AM
    OK, no offence, but why on earth would someone want to buy a BB without a dataplan? That's just a stupid move. Honestly, it's even a stupid move to get only a 10MB a month plan. The unlimited data plan is only 30 if it's part of a BB voice package. If you don't want a data plan, don't buy a PDA Smartphone! Stop trying to be trendy and cheap at the same time.
    The reason that I bought the BB was because I needed to get a global phone. Our carrier is Verizon and they offered only limited global phones. The one I really wanted was no longer available and the only other one they had in the store at the time was an ugly Samsung. When I saw the advert for the BB and the fact that it was a global phone I jumped at it. So I wasn't trying to be trendy and cheap?
    07-11-07 08:44 AM
    You can always buy an unlocked GSM phone elsewhere for much cheaper. Blackberry is designed to be an email device....other Microsoft OS Smarphones have integrated email as a non-priority (i.e Wireless Sync). It's just the nature of the design of the Blackberry. It requires the device to communicate with RIM. Any other non-Blackberry PDA you can purchase without a data plan.

You can't knock Verizon for not carrying certain phones. They decided to invest their money in a CDMA network which is far more superior than a GSM technology with the exception that GSM is more widely available.

You may want to shop for another carrier if Verizon isn't meeting your specific needs. Everyone has specific needs and you need to first find the network that meets your needs then find a phone that network provider offers that works for what you want.
    07-11-07 08:54 AM
    This need for a global phone only arose because we decided to take a vacation to the UK and we needed to be able to not only talk back to the US but also to our friends in the UK. Now it turns out I may start traveling again for work, but not sure on that yet.

The reason I used Verizon is because, as I said, the account is in my wife's name and she just started a brand new 2 year contract with them on her non-global phone. Am I understanding you to say that I could have purchased a global phone elsewhere and activated it on Verizon? If so I will stow that little piece of information away for future use.
    07-11-07 09:19 AM
    I was saying that you could go on Ebay and buy an unlocked GSM phone....you could then take your SIM and use that phone anywhere....my previous post was directed more towards FBblack
    07-11-07 09:30 AM
    Stop trying to be trendy and cheap at the same time.
    Would that include Honda Civics?
    07-11-07 09:59 AM
    TMoney:

I dropped Sprint two years ago because of numerous dead zones. ATT/Cingular is not much better. Verizon is the strongest signal where I live. BTW.. I already own an unlocked GSM Samsung z500 from Tim. I am trying to avoid carrying two phones and chargers with me when I travel. One for US cities and Airports and one for foreign travel.
    07-11-07 11:25 AM
    Hey FBlack, did you decide on a sim card yet?
    07-11-07 01:51 PM
    Would that include Honda Civics?
    Sometimes it's easier to keep a name that was representative at one time then make new ones up.
    07-11-07 04:41 PM
    BlondBoyL:

I am trying to figure out the negatives of having an Estonia number, even with that 800 number. GOSIM does have a deal where you buy $100 Top Up and you get the SIM for free. Have you tried it with the 8830 yet in nEurope?
    07-11-07 08:14 PM
    BlondBoyL:

I am trying to figure out the negatives of having an Estonia number, even with that 800 number. GOSIM does have a deal where you buy $100 Top Up and you get the SIM for free. Have you tried it with the 8830 yet in nEurope?
    No but I will be in france in march / april (maybe sooner) so I cant wait to test it out. As far as having an estonia number, its just more expensive for someone to call you (1.50 /min) but if they use the 1800 number it costs them nothing. When you have a UK number, its about 99 - 1.50 per minute depending on their carrier.

BTW with the 1800 number anyone who calls you from the states will only cost YOU 35 cents and they pay nothing that is provided the country you are in has free in comming calls (most of europe). If the country has a price on incomming calls, you pay that price + 35 cents per min for the people using the 1800 number.
    07-12-07 05:30 AM
    Fblack, when are you going overseas next?

And garyt, when are you heading back to your munich office?

Right now on blackberry forums there is a debate going on over the 8830 actually being unlocked and we are waiting for someone to take an unlocked vzw 8830 overseas to test.

unlock the 8830 - Page 2 - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 07-13-07 at 06:18 AM.
    07-13-07 06:16 AM
    BLONDBOYL

I am in medical and from a medical standpoint Europe shuts down all summer until early September. I have no plans to return to Europe until mid-September.

Where does this debate come from? I find it hard to beleive that Verizon would take money from their customers and then not deliver the goods. I am in medical not law, but I am sure there is something criminal about that type of activity which would not be good for a public company.
    07-13-07 08:55 AM
    i have unlocked my bb 8830 and am trying to use a cingular sim to place calls in a verizon dead zone i have st the phone to gsm cingular ohones have service but the bb wont find a network any ideas
    07-13-07 10:11 AM
    i have unlocked my bb 8830 and am trying to use a cingular sim to place calls in a verizon dead zone i have st the phone to gsm cingular ohones have service but the bb wont find a network any ideas
    The BlackBerry 8830 GSM radio only does European and Asia Pacific GSM/GPRS frequencies (900MHz/1800MHz), not North American ones (850MHz/1900Mhz).
    07-13-07 03:54 PM
698 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD