02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    i just baught a 8830 from verizon. from ebay. obviously its locked to verizon. im in canada and i use fido which is a subdivision of rogers. so reading a bunch of the replies i've came to a conclusion you can only get the unlock codes if you call either verizon or blackberry? and since im in canada verizon won't want to unlock it unless i tell them some bull**** lie stating im in the army. which in my opinion is horrible. but is there any other way to get the unlock code?
    07-09-09 12:48 AM
    I have some new information on this. I don't know if this will help any of you who bought your blackberrys elsewhere, but I was told that when I am outside of an area that uses CMDA (i.e., if I am outside the US, Canada and Mexico), I can insert any GSM sim card and my phone will work. As a Verizon subscriber, expanding service when I visited Canada was actually pretty cheap. You just change your plan to cover Canada or Mexico and change it back when you get back to the U.S. But according to Verizon, if I go to Europe, I can insert a SIM card from any company and the phone will work. That may not be helpful to people who brought their Verizon phones from somewhere other than Verizon, unless you want to sign up with Verizon. They will activate a Verizon blackberry, no matter where you got it. I'm not saying they are perfect, but so far, they have not made this difficult for my upcoming trip to europe.
    07-09-09 04:03 AM
    Once phone is unlocked you can use any GSM sim card world wide. you do not want to pay Verizon roaming rates.
    07-10-09 05:42 PM
    i just baught a 8830 from verizon. from ebay. obviously its locked to verizon. im in canada and i use fido which is a subdivision of rogers. so reading a bunch of the replies i've came to a conclusion you can only get the unlock codes if you call either verizon or blackberry? and since im in canada verizon won't want to unlock it unless i tell them some bull**** lie stating im in the army. which in my opinion is horrible. but is there any other way to get the unlock code?
    I have a similar situation. I bought a refurbished Verizon BB 8830 WE from Buy.com (Mobile Liquidations) that was described as unlocked. I have three questions.

1) I don't believe this phone is unlocked. The reason is that when Ia foreign SIM card was inserted, the message "invalid SIM Card" appeared. And the phone can't read read this SIM card, as the stored info (contact list, etc) in this SIM card is not assessable.

So the question is how to unlock this phone?

2) The BB OS version is 4.2.2.148, and Blackberry.com has a free OS 4.5 version update available. However, it warns that the device will have to be activated wireless after the update. Now I have two questions. a) suppose that this phone is indeed unlocked (as claimed by the seller), will this OS (and other applications) update makt it locked again? b) The phone will be used primarily in forein travels with forein (local) SIM cards, and will not be used here (USA), so I guess there is no need to activate it by Verizon (or Sprint or others). Am I right? I'm a newby for BB/GSM/international mobile systems.

3) I need foreign language support on this phone. But there is only English for the display and typing input options. There is no installation CD available. I guess the OS 4.5 and application updates will install foreign language capabilities/options. Am I right?

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated!

ILE
    07-12-09 05:42 PM
    This would be done, and in some manner has been done if you read all the posts above. However the unlock code is tied to the some number, presumably the ESN. Inorder to unlock the headset only Verizon can give you this number, or at least only Verizon can until someone comes up with a unlock code generator, which is unlikely. So if your with Verizon, and want your sim unlocked, bite the bullet and sit on hold with Verizon. Unless all the unlock codes are the same, which I highly doubt seeing the length of the code. I would let someone try my unlock code, but keep in mind you only get 12 attempts (I think) before the phone just stops working.
    Can Blackberry (RIM) unlock it?
    07-12-09 05:49 PM
    I just received a 8830 WE from a friend. the most annoying thing about this phone is after it sits for a few minutes it becomes locked again, prompting you to put your password back in. does anyone know a software download to rid this phone of this stupid feature?
    07-14-09 12:08 PM
    I just received a 8830 WE from a friend. the most annoying thing about this phone is after it sits for a few minutes it becomes locked again, prompting you to put your password back in. does anyone know a software download to rid this phone of this stupid feature?
    Go to options, security options, general settings. Where it says password disable it. That way it won't lock anymore.
    07-22-09 09:31 AM
    Can anyone help me, I bought a Verizon blackberry 8830 WE on ebay, and I would like to flash it to cricket, thing is I have the software and all but I need my phone unlocked, please help! Thank you!!!!
    07-30-09 11:37 AM
    Can anyone help me, I bought a Verizon blackberry 8830 WE on ebay, and I would like to flash it to cricket, thing is I have the software and all but I need my phone unlocked, please help! Thank you!!!!
    Sorry,but it can not be done
    07-30-09 01:06 PM
    I have an 8830 World Phone through Verizon. When I am in Canada and near the border, the phone will try to route calls through Verizon, even if the signal is too weak to be useful. I can be standing beside a Telus tower, but so long as the phone can even sniff a Verizon signal, Verizon it is.

My question: will unlocking the 8830 allow me to manually choose the network my phone is routing calls through? Is there a way other than unlocking the phone to allow me to manually select my network? If I look at the BlackBerry-published owner's manual, this is possible with this phone, however Verizon has locked out the capability in order to force you onto their network as much as possible. Alternately, is there a software download that will force the phone to choose the strongest signal available, as opposed to always defaulting to even a very weak Verizon signal?
    08-06-09 09:12 AM
    I had verizon unlock my 8830. it was fast and painless.
    08-10-09 02:33 PM
    i need to unlock my imei help me
    08-18-09 09:56 PM
    why use this phone? The Tour is a newer verison of the World
    08-19-09 01:42 PM
    why use this phone? The Tour is a newer verison of the World
    Why be a troll?
    08-22-09 05:40 PM
    the 8830 world edition DOES have a normal sim card slot, so some of these posts are not correct.
    08-30-09 08:48 AM
    the 8830 world edition DOES have a normal sim card slot, so some of these posts are not correct.
    "normal"? As opposed to an abnormal SIM card slot? If you're trying to say you can use US GSM cards for service, you are incorrect.
    08-30-09 08:08 PM
    What is the sim card slot for, if not for GSM?
    I never said it "wasn't for GSM". I said US GSM does not work with the 8830.

08-31-09 07:07 AM
    how is this guy on the first page using his 8830 with tmobile then???
    09-01-09 04:24 PM
    As long as you have the World Edition you can unlock and have it work on any gsm network
    Are you blind?

I never said it "wasn't for GSM". I said US GSM does not work with the 8830.

09-01-09 04:30 PM
    09-01-09 04:36 PM
    how is this guy on the first page using his 8830 with tmobile then???
    The GSM side of the phone is unlocked, but you would NOT be able to use the GSM side to make calls/get data. Just because you put a SIM card in the phone, DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN USE IT!

It's like putting GASOLINE in a DIESEL engine. It'll go in, but it won't work.
    09-01-09 04:44 PM
    I have a VZW 8830WE which I am using on USCC, Most people dont believe this but whatever( everything works perfect email, data, voice) I am wondering how to display the network name I am on right now for CDMA, I searched and couldn't find it.
    09-03-09 01:20 PM
    I have a VZW 8830WE which I am using on USCC, Most people dont believe this but whatever( everything works perfect email, data, voice) I am wondering how to display the network name I am on right now for CDMA, I searched and couldn't find it.
    Actually, I don't believe it either. Maybe your phone just has a Verizon branded housing. When you start it up, is US Cellular's logo displayed?

To answer your question, you can use SignalLoc. Download this from your phone: http://signallocbb.sourceforge.net/ota/signalloc.jad

It's pretty useful and provides a lot of different info.
    09-03-09 03:44 PM
    The phone came from vzw. Vzw logo. Vzw service books. Brower went vzw app store

That app says extended network. I wanted it displayed on home screen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by socalracecar; 09-03-09 at 04:25 PM.
    09-03-09 04:21 PM
    Why do people not believe your 8830WE can be unlocked and used with any GSM network. We unlock them all the time.
    Because the North American frequencies are not built into the device - just the Eurpoean frequencies. You can use GSM outside the USA and Canada, but the radios that work with AT&T, Rogers, and T-Mo don't exist in the 8830WE.
    09-03-09 04:35 PM
698 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD