02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    To unlock the phone, do you need to have a sim in the phone when you do it? I'm thinking about giving them a call to unlock mine, but I don't currently have a sim for it.
    03-20-09 12:34 PM
    You NEED a sim in the phone but it does not have to be a verizon one from what I've read. So borrow from a friend???
    03-20-09 07:56 PM
    That's what I thought. Thanks.
    03-20-09 10:07 PM
    Hi guys, i hope some one can help me.
    Does anyone know how to unlock this from a verion network? I tried to enter the MEPD menu, but after some tries it wont even show anymore?? is there another menu where i can access it. better yet, has anyone come across some software to maybe unlock the SIM? Any feed back would be great! ")
    The Verizon Help desk will walk you through the process (I just completed my un lock process on my world edition). Th bad news is that I have been told that the verizon software will block any oter sim card application. Is that correct? Any other options?
    04-08-09 11:40 AM
    I called Verizon this morning, and they told me they couldn't give me an unlock code. The kid sounded very confused about the whole thing. I asked to speak to someone else and he said "hold on". Then he came back and was like, yeah we don't offer that.

Can someone post a phone number. I just called the customer service 1800 number.
    04-11-09 07:14 AM
    So, if you go the codes, what were they? And how do I unlock mine?

With the help of verizon I did unlock the 8830 thing this morning. It took some fighting though because I wrote an e-mail to verizon explaining how pissed I was about them saying that the unlock codes were unavailable when sprint's 8830 is unlocked. Last night they e-mailed me back and were very nice. they gave the form to fill out and had me fax it in and from that point it was a waiting game. Today about 10:45am they called me back (and global support is not usually open on weekends) and gave me the code and walked me through the process of unlocking the phone. Just an FYI, the MEPD code does not work, you have to enter MEP2 to bring up the dialog to enter the code. So now my 8830 is unlocked. If anyone doubts it I will post pics if you like. I hope this helps some of you but if you are told the codes are unavailable... its a big fat lie!?!

Also, note that they only give the code if you paid outright for the phone (full retail). If you did the upgrade and got the discount I dont think they will give you the code without charging a fee or something.
    04-11-09 10:23 AM
    How to enter unlock code for Verizon blackberry 8830
    1. Insert any sim card
    2. Scroll and select "Manage connections"
    3. Select "Turn all connections off"
    4. Press "Escape" to go back to the "Home" screen
    5. Go to "Options" menu and select "Advanced options"
    6. Select "SIM card"
    7. Select "Show keyboard"
    8. Hold the ALT key while typing MEPD. You will not see text appear on screen while typing. This opens up a personalization menu
    9. Hold the ALT key while typing MEP2. You will not see text appear on screen while typing
    Press ALT and 2 simultaneously to get number 2.
    10. You should be presented with a prompt "Enter Network MEP Code"
    11. Enter supplied unlock code
    12. After entering the code press the trackball once
    13. Restart your phone and restore connections by following the first two steps
    14. Your phone is unlocked
    04-14-09 05:44 PM
    Hello,
    I just recently got a BlackBerry 8830 from a friend. He was with Sprint in America, and now I'm in Canada. I got the MSL code and the ESN number but don't know where to go from here. Any help is appreciated, or even if you could suggest a direction for me, that would be great.
    04-14-09 06:31 PM
    how did you get the network to show on the phone, i unlocked it but it would find any gsm network, howd you do it
    04-22-09 06:21 PM
    Call verizon global services a (800)711-8300, push 3 for tech support, tell them you're military just back from Iraq, on assignment to Italy, plan on traveling Europe and Asia and need to unlock. I successfully weaseled a brand new verizon/vodafone sim card shipped to my house and free unlocking once I got it. Just installed the sim card, called them again, told them my issue and they walked me through unlocking. Easy, free, and hey- I got a new sim card out of it, haha!

Don't forget, though, this will NOT work for US/Canada GSM. US and Canada use 850/1900 band GSM, the 8830 WE only uses the rest of the world's 900/1800. GSM will work anywhere but where you'll need it the most.
    Can you hear me now?...
    Last edited by r3df1a66; 04-24-09 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Add information
    04-24-09 04:16 PM
    I'm really getting fed up with VZW.....maybe time to switch?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 04:58 AM
    I hate to be really stupid everyone but just curious, what does unlocking the BB do and how can you tell if its unlocked? I am still learning sorry!

Thanks!
    05-05-09 12:07 PM
    They offered to give me the unlock code if I bought their SIM card for $30. Don't understand what one has to do with the other?
    05-10-09 10:44 PM
    blondeboyl... or who ever can give me some advice:

so i had an 8830 and upgraded to a storm, my problem is that i gave my verizon 8830 to a tmobile user and they said that it needed to be unlocked. i called my verizon sales rep, he stated that the only way i could possibly unlock it is if i called global support. so i did, and since im not going overseas and im giving it to a t mobile user they wont unlock it. all i want to do is unlock the damn thing! so what are my options now? please help!
    05-18-09 09:24 AM
    blondeboyl... or who ever can give me some advice:

so i had an 8830 and upgraded to a storm, my problem is that i gave my verizon 8830 to a tmobile user and they said that it needed to be unlocked. i called my verizon sales rep, he stated that the only way i could possibly unlock it is if i called global support. so i did, and since im not going overseas and im giving it to a t mobile user they wont unlock it. all i want to do is unlock the damn thing! so what are my options now? please help!

Your t-mobile user friend doesn't know what he/she is talking about, unless he/she is using the phone t-mo in the UK. Please tell me you know that the phone you gave away cannot be used on GSM radios in the US because the bands are not active. The sim card slot can be unlocked for use on GSM bands in the UK and elsewhere outside the US. Call back and tell them you want the unlock code because you want to use your phone overseas. Sorry your t-mo friend is out of luck.
    05-18-09 12:21 PM
    I don't know what all teh humbug is about getting the unlock code from verizon or anyone.

I called VZW a month ago to get the unlock code for my Storm and within 2 minutes (just for them to search for it) i was given it with absolutely NO question about why I wanted it. . .

I recently dropped my storm in the toilet, burnt it out, and switched to a 8830 tha i bought off of ebay, i again called VZW and they gave me bull***t about "you cannot get unlock codes for 10 month on 1 phone number (multiple phone lines okay) but for 1 line only 1 time unlock for 10 months. . .

It was 1 month that i unlocked my storm, I explained my incedent and they with no questions again okayed the "transaction" of services. So I really do not understand what or why people have so much trouble getting these codes. . .

I guess they have it on file that I have actually left the country (for asia) before so they believe me I guess, but jeese, the way some people put it is that it's like pulling teeth with these reps. . .

anywho. . .

I tried inserting my friends At&t sim card with no luck (maybe a bad spot) just to see if it worked in gsm mode since I unlocked it, and it still said searching for gsm for 1 minutes. . .any pointers on what is needed, because i will be going to China for a couple of months and want to use local sim this time. . . .
    05-25-09 05:24 PM
    Call verizon global services a (800)711-8300, push 3 for tech support, tell them you're military just back from Iraq, on assignment to Italy, plan on traveling Europe and Asia and need to unlock. I successfully weaseled a brand new verizon/vodafone sim card shipped to my house and free unlocking once I got it. Just installed the sim card, called them again, told them my issue and they walked me through unlocking. Easy, free, and hey- I got a new sim card out of it, haha!

Don't forget, though, this will NOT work for US/Canada GSM. US and Canada use 850/1900 band GSM, the 8830 WE only uses the rest of the world's 900/1800. GSM will work anywhere but where you'll need it the most.
    Can you hear me now?...

"tell them you're military just back from Iraq"

Those who earn that claim are not amused
    05-28-09 03:14 AM
    "tell them you're military just back from Iraq"

Those who earn that claim are not amused
    Not only am I not amused that you would perpetrate a fraudulent action of something i've done myself to protect your very rights to have a cell phone, any person military or otherwise, would have the common sense to know to contact their carrier and inform them of military status and an overseas tour of duty as by law, cellular phone carriers can and will suspend services upon presentation of official military orders, in fact, it's almost a requirement with any of them that you do provide orders for their records. I know, i've done it myself a few times already. If you're claiming you're military to get something for nothing, i'm really appalled by your level of personal integrity and respect that you seem to not have for those who are actually in the military doing what you didn't/can't/won't/chose not to do whether by choice or validation. Especially something as trivial as global cellular phone service. Yes, I said trivial. I've been around the world, and everywhere i've been there's ALWAYS cheaper alternative methods than using GSM unlocked phones for communications. People are just too lazy/reliant on cell phones to look for them.

I guess the old saying still applies here, "Can't fix stupid."
    06-01-09 03:02 PM
    So instead of buying a global sim card, can I just buy a prepaid sim in a country that I go to?

I have the sprint 8830 so I dont have to worry about the unlocking Drama at VZW.
    06-05-09 06:15 PM
    The 8830 is a global phone, they will send you sim cards for the GSM component
    06-08-09 08:14 PM
    This is gay. I canceled my contract with VZW when I moved to Asia, figured that I'd be able to just mod the software to unlock the phone to use here but from reading this thread I guess I can't. So I've got a pretty BB paperweight now.
    06-09-09 03:19 AM
    [QUOTE=garyt01;16684]I just called Global Support and requested that they help me unlock the 8830. I have a German phone from our German office and carry it with the 8830. When I explained this as well as the fact that I had only a week left on my 30day evaluation and was aware that the Sprint phone was unlocked they called over to Blackberry to try to see if they could get an unlock code. The rep came back on the line and stated that the codes WERE NOT available and probably would NEVER be available. He was very sorry and knew that he would probably loose a customer because of this.
    I then called Sprint and COULD NOT speak with anyone who knows the 8830 and plans. They transferred me after I requested to speak with someone who knows the Blackberry several times and I was connected to a line that required a Sprint phone number, after not being able to provide a number I was disconnected. So, I guess it is either good service and a locked phone or terrible service and an unlocked phone.[/QUOT
    07-06-09 02:51 PM
    [QUOTE=garyt01;16684]I just called Global Support and requested that they help me unlock the 8830. I have a German phone from our German office and carry it with the 8830. When I explained this as well as the fact that I had only a week left on my 30day evaluation and was aware that the Sprint phone was unlocked they called over to Blackberry to try to see if they could get an unlock code. The rep came back on the line and stated that the codes WERE NOT available and probably would NEVER be available. He was very sorry and knew that he would probably loose a customer because of this.
    I then called Sprint and COULD NOT speak with anyone who knows the 8830 and plans. They transferred me after I requested to speak with someone who knows the Blackberry several times and I was connected to a line that required a Sprint phone number, after not being able to provide a number I was disconnected. So, I guess it is either good service and a locked phone or terrible service and an unlocked phone.[/QUOT

I HAVE TRIED TO UNLOCK A VERIZON BLACKBERRY 8830 WORLD EDITION PHONE FOR USE ON GSM NETWORK (I HAVE AT&T) BLACKBERRY AND AT&T SAY VERIZON HAS THE CODES. VERIZON SAYS NO.....BUT THEY DO AND WILL ON LY GIVE THEM TO YOU IF YOU HAVE SERVICE THROUGH THEM. I THINK THE EASIEST WAY MIGHT BE TO GET ONE OF MY FRIENDS WITH VERIZON SERVICE TO CALL AND DO IT FOR ME.....GOOD IDEA?????? I even tried to go through AT&T because I have service with them but am not on contract so I told them I would be going to Verizon if they couldnt unlock it ....the guy tried for an hour and couldnt do anyhting...but he did give me great deals on a new contract phone.....
    07-06-09 02:55 PM
    You CAN unlock the 8830.

Just call Verizon Global Tech Support (908-559-4899) and they will email you the unlock procedure and codse for free. Yes, Verizon WILL allow the 8830 to be unlocked without a hassle.

Jerry
    They will only do this if you have service with them....I am trying to get my 8830 unocked (I have AT&T) and they will not do it. I have spoke to 3 different Verizon people, two AT&T, and BlackBerry.....any suggestions?
    07-06-09 03:06 PM
    The last posts on this subject were a couple of years ago. Have there been any developments since then? I am going to Ireland shortly and want to be able to use any local company sim card. My understanding is that Vodafone, which is in Ireland, is a Verizon partner, but based on what all of you said some time ago, it should be possible to unlock the GSM portion of the Verizon 8830 so that one can use it with any network overseas. Does anyone have any updated information re how to get this done?

Thanks in advance.
    07-07-09 03:56 AM
698 ... 2021222324 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD