02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 1819202122 ...
tools
    Hello
    I have found conflicting information on the internet regarding using the Sprint CDMA phone with other CDMA carriers in North America.

I want to use a Sprint CDMA phone from the USA with my cdma carrier here in Canada. Does anyone have this experience? Can they advise me? If it is 'locked' in some way, is there a way to lock it?

Thanks!
    09-12-08 01:01 PM
    I apologize in advance if my question has already been done ... but i'm Italian I can not understand all that is written.
    I have 8830 WE Verizon and i've a problem when i insert the italian sim card (TIM). The phone dont' keep the line!!! i've read that i must call verizon to have a code to unlock the phone but there are 2 problems:
    1) For me it's impossibole to call Verizon from Italy (and i don't understand too much)
    2) If i had a code to unlock the sim i must insert it in OPTION>ADVANCED OPTION> SIM CARD (it's explan in another topic) but if i go in this men the phone say me INVALID SIM CARD and there isn't place to insert this code....

Help me....if there's a people that speak italian for me it's better....but it's the same the important is the answer.
    09-13-08 08:23 AM
    I apologize in advance if my question has already been done ... but i'm Italian I can not understand all that is written.
    I have 8830 WE Verizon and i've a problem when i insert the italian sim card (TIM). The phone dont' keep the line!!! i've read that i must call verizon to have a code to unlock the phone but there are 2 problems:
    1) For me it's impossibole to call Verizon from Italy (and i don't understand too much)
    2) If i had a code to unlock the sim i must insert it in OPTION>ADVANCED OPTION> SIM CARD (it's explan in another topic) but if i go in this men the phone say me INVALID SIM CARD and there isn't place to insert this code....

Help me....if there's a people that speak italian for me it's better....but it's the same the important is the answer.
    I think that there is a Verizon global phone number you may be able to call from Italy and they may be able to help. I found this (digging through my piles) packaged with the SIM card:

Hmmm.... try this number (+)1 908-559-4899 if "traveling outside the US"

or maybe

800-90-5825
    09-13-08 01:35 PM
    For me the problem is the language....u can do it for me?...help me please
    09-13-08 02:30 PM
    I, too, was successful with Verizon. Called them yesterday, they walked me through the unlocking process (I had a valid SIM in place) and did so with a friendly attitude.

However, we missed the unlocking confirmation message on the screen as it flew through too quick.

So, to ensure that my SIM is unlocked, I inserted my valid UK SIM and the BB accepted it by showing its ID number when I went to Options - Advanced Options - SIM Card (would not have done so had the domestic SIM been locked).

I guess the only other way to verify being unlocked is to try the BB out of the USA -- not an ideal situation.
    09-14-08 12:19 PM
    For me the problem is the language....u can do it for me?...help me please
    The way the UNLOCK PROCESS is done is you have to read them a number/value and they then find a SPECIFIC CODE value/number for you to enter. So you need to do it with them on the phone. Is there a "better" English speaker friend/relative that can help? (your written English is better than any Italian I could try!)
    09-14-08 06:15 PM
    What type of number/value i must read them? Because I phoned yesterday to service information but when they request me phone number and i give them my italian phone number they said me that: don't want this!!...???
    09-16-08 03:32 AM
    After reading this post, I called Verizon and kindly asked for my unlocked code, after telling them I was going off to a country that I knew they did not cover! The young lady kindly gave me my unlock code. (I did not pay full retail and I did not fill out any forms.)
    With the help of this thread I went through the steps of putting in the code. (Code Accepted!)

Now I am just waiting for my next trip overseas (November) to try it out. I will use my friends SIM card as a test before I buy my own. I will let you guys know what happens...
    09-19-08 09:44 AM
    Hello. I received the unlock code from Verizon. Left my phone with a friend who has ATT who used her SIM card to follow the unlock procedures. (No, I am not trying to use my phone on ATT network or any US network other than Verizon -my carrier while in the states. I just don't have a SIM card and since some posts said ANY SIM card will work, I thought I would try it.) Now, back to my friend. She said that it did state "accepted". I just read a post here which says the unlocking has to be done with a Verizon SIM card. I am not going overseas for a little while and would like to figure out if my phone is actually unlocked or not. Any suggestions, ideas, opinions? Thanks!!
    09-19-08 05:29 PM
    Hi BlondeBoyL,
    I got a new Verizon BlackBerry from my friend and I followed the exact steps you listed, called the same international global support phone number, got the MEP code and entered it, Got a "Code Accepted" message in my BBerry8830. Everything is fine till here.

Now I
    1) Removed the global support SIM card from my Verizon 8830 phone
    2) Put my T-mobile SIM card into it
    3) Powered on the phone

Result:
    It just says Searching for GSM Network... and nothing much, But if I port the same SIM card onto my BlackBerry 8800, it immediately detected the T-Mobile network.

I even tried to run the Diagnostic test which got NO s for many of the test-items.

Have no idea how to make this unlocked 8830 usable now. Any idea it would work if I port the 8830 firmware from T-Mobile or Cingular on to verizon 8830 ? Am not sure what other kind of firmwares we have out there for 8830 apart from Verizon.

No doubt on the 8830 signal receiving capability because it worked v.good with the Verizon SIM card.

Thank You
    VC
    09-25-08 12:03 AM
    I am not sure what you will see but the 8830 only works OUTSIDE of the USA when using a sim card. The freqency that the phone/card combo uses does not work on domestic networks in the US.
    09-25-08 12:16 AM
    I went to Asia earlier this year and then to Aruba the same month with my verizon blackberry 8830 and managed to get totally raped. My monthly bill came in at $1300!! WTF??? My boss called me into his office and wanted to know why my bill was so high. My Asia trip was for vacation but Aruba was for work. We quickly realized that i was being charged 2.89 per minute and .50 for every text message the whole time I was in Asia. Aruba charges were high too. I will be returning to asia this coming monday for 2 week vacation, so I naturally want my phone unlocked so I can buy a Globe Sim card and pay reasonable rates on my own dime since this is not a biz trip. I called customer service today and was told that there is NO WAY to unlock the phone. When i indicated that Sprint's 8830 phone is unlocked I was told that Verizon and Sprint operate differntly and I was told that with my world phone it is not possible to "unlock the phone" and she suggested I buy a totally new phone. This pissed me off and I told the rep I had no intention of doing such a thing becasue it isnt necessary. She wouldnt unlock my phone and I dont even think she knew that it could be done. I decided to call back again. I was told the same thing. This time I insisted that I speak to her immediate supervisor right now. After about 3 or 4 minutes, I was transferred to Global Services and I told them that I need my phone unlocked for an upcoming trip to Asia. I blatently told them that becasue of my phone being locked I almost lost my job. (That was a bit of a stretch, but it worked like magic). I was given instructions to go to options-advanced options - sim card- then i typed in MEPD. Nothing appeared on screen when I typed this. Then I was told to type in MEPD2 at which point a box popped up and asked for a code. I typed the code she gave me and hit the track ball once and Wa La! Phone was unlocked!! The rep on the phone had me hit the talk key after inputting the code the first time which didn't work so we went through the routine again and this time she told me to hit the track ball once after putting in the code and I got the message "code accepted". So it looks like Verizon is now cooperating more then in the past on opening up these phones. It just takes persistance. Last year I had a similar problem with Verizon becasue to my dismay my VZ Navigator GPS didnt work and the option was greyed out rendering it useless. I called and had them turn that on last year which they did. I think if you call and strongly insist on what you want they will give it to you. You just have to kind be an A hole.
    10-09-08 02:10 PM
    i will report back if this worked on the GSM network in the Philippines when I come back. It better work.
    10-09-08 02:13 PM
    Since the 8830 is both CDMA and GSM with a SIM card it should be possible to unlock the phone for GSM networks. There is a SIM card socket and most of the phones are shipping with a Verizon branded Vodacom SIM card. It won't do any good in the US but unlocking it should allow use of local SIM cards overseas.
    can any one help me to unlock the country code/ unlock code to allow local SIM cards in overseas.......
    model: BB 8830WE (verizon)
    10-15-08 07:56 AM
    With the help of verizon I did unlock the 8830 thing this morning. It took some fighting though because I wrote an e-mail to verizon explaining how pissed I was about them saying that the unlock codes were unavailable when sprint's 8830 is unlocked. Last night they e-mailed me back and were very nice. they gave the form to fill out and had me fax it in and from that point it was a waiting game. Today about 10:45am they called me back (and global support is not usually open on weekends) and gave me the code and walked me through the process of unlocking the phone. Just an FYI, the MEPD code does not work, you have to enter MEP2 to bring up the dialog to enter the code. So now my 8830 is unlocked. If anyone doubts it I will post pics if you like. I hope this helps some of you but if you are told the codes are unavailable... its a big fat lie!?!

Also, note that they only give the code if you paid outright for the phone (full retail). If you did the upgrade and got the discount I dont think they will give you the code without charging a fee or something.
    it would be appreciated if u send me the name of the software...........
    10-15-08 08:01 AM
    Hi Bro.!
    Can u help me to unlock blackberry 8830 world edition?
    If you can and instruct to me pls.
    With Thanks,
    KYaw Htin
    10-22-08 03:45 AM
    Hi BlondeBoyl!

Can you help me about Blackberry 8830 world edition to unlock?
    My blackberry is verizon US plan and now i want to use this in my home land(Myanmar).
    If you don't mind pls. help me how to do it.

With Thanks,
    KH.
    10-22-08 04:04 AM
    Hi All,

I'm French and this summer I bought on ebay from some American guy a BB 8830 WE. The problem is it's locked on CDMA network thus I can't use it in France with my French SIM card.
    I had called a rep at Verizon but they told me that since the account of the seller was closed I couldn't get any unlocking code! So do you think that I should retry to call them, crying, yelling, etc to get a code or is there any dodgy way to have the GSM/SIM mode unlocked? You know there are some websites which say they can unlock every single mobile but I dunno if it works...
    If someone could help or give me some advice... i would be very happy
    Cheers
    Phil
    10-23-08 04:27 PM
    Yes i had the same problem.
    The guy at verizon would not want to help me because i was not a customer.
    Why does not anyone make a unlock calculator???
    please post your unlock codes!!!
    11-20-08 02:12 PM
    i have had mine over a year and have had O2 ,T Mobile , and about 4 other different carriers sims in it and it worked perfect. my main service is with alltel no sim
    12-17-08 11:59 AM
    what is the benefit to unlocking the WE
    12-24-08 04:40 PM
    I am looking for a FREE way to get an unlock code for an Alltel 8830 WE if this is even possible.

I am wanting to access the GSM network using an AT&T sim card.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
    mlynn2001
    12-29-08 08:16 PM
    I have successfully unlocked my Vzw 8830 WE.

when traveling to France and England I would like to know GSM cell providers service both the data/internet AND the voice capabilities of my Blackberry.

So far SFR in France and Vodaphone in the UK have told me they can only support the phone portions of my device.

Does anyone know of the names of providers in the UK and/France that support the data portions, along with the phone portions of my 8830 WE?

Thanks in advance for your time and help

PS: I have closed out the Vzw acct and intend to sign up for a long term European plan so i don't need pay as you go.

thanks again for any help on this you can provide.
    Last edited by Grifter3000; 12-30-08 at 07:24 PM.
    12-30-08 06:31 PM
    I am looking for a FREE way to get an unlock code for an Alltel 8830 WE if this is even possible.

I am wanting to access the GSM network using an AT&T sim card.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
    mlynn2001
    It will not work in the USA. Only on overseas GSM networks.
    01-02-09 12:18 PM
    what is the benefit to unlocking the WE
    It allows you to use a SIM card overseas with carriers other than vodaphone that verizon has a contract with.
    01-02-09 12:19 PM
698 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD