02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 1234 ...
tools
    I just called Global Support and requested that they help me unlock the 8830. I have a German phone from our German office and carry it with the 8830. When I explained this as well as the fact that I had only a week left on my 30day evaluation and was aware that the Sprint phone was unlocked they called over to Blackberry to try to see if they could get an unlock code. The rep came back on the line and stated that the codes WERE NOT available and probably would NEVER be available. He was very sorry and knew that he would probably loose a customer because of this.
    I then called Sprint and COULD NOT speak with anyone who knows the 8830 and plans. They transferred me after I requested to speak with someone who knows the Blackberry several times and I was connected to a line that required a Sprint phone number, after not being able to provide a number I was disconnected. So, I guess it is either good service and a locked phone or terrible service and an unlocked phone.
    I swear they are full of S**T. go to the contact us section on the verizon site Cell Phones, Mobile Phones and plans for Personal - Verizon Wireless and send an e-mail there complaining about the customer service. Thats what I did an got a 4 hr response. Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent through there...

Not to be a pain or anything, but I have been calling multiple times over the last few weeks to see about getting my VZW Blackberry 8830 unlocked to use my global SIM card in it. Now I have a GSM phone that I use overseas, but I bought this phone thinking that I could avoid having multiple phone phones when I travel. Each time I have called global phone support I have been told that the codes are unavailable, but yet sprint just released the EXACT same phone but yet their phone is completely GSM unlocked! Now if these codes do not exist, why are sprint users free to use any SIM card that they wish? As a matter of fact, sprint is using that fact as a selling point for their service. I personally feel that I have been lied to after being a loyal Verizon customer for the last few years. Is there some corporate or money driven motivation to why you absolutely will not give me the code for the phone that I purchased outright (paying $519.00 for it?) The fact that I feel that I have been lied to is enough to make me want to cancel my contract and take my business elsewhere if this issue can not be resolved. If someone could give me a prompt response to this, it would be greatly appreciated.

If they keep giving you s**t, let me know and I will post their reply to me and then you can e-mail that to the stupid rep. I swear I dont know if this is a money issue or if the reps just are uninformed. Either way verizon needs to fix it FAST!
    07-09-07 10:19 AM
    Why is that? The codes are available and you work for them so if anything I figured it would be easier if nothing else.

I'm a low man on the totem pole....only a sales rep. We'll see....we aren't even allowed to buy the SIM cards...
    07-09-07 11:30 AM
    I'm a low man on the totem pole....only a sales rep. We'll see....we aren't even allowed to buy the SIM cards...
    That sucks big time man
    07-09-07 11:47 AM
    The rep did mention that the phone might be able to be unlocked after the contract runs out or if I paid full price for the phone as you did. This might be the problem! All of us here paid $300 less a $100 rebate for our phones not the 500+ you paid.
    In any event, I modified your email and sent it along to Verizon. I think Verizon has set up a corporate policy not unlock these phones and it will take **** or high water to change it. I am going to search out a Sprint store to see if I find anyone who knows the phone. I still have one week left to return the my Verizon 8830. Thanks for your help.
    07-09-07 01:25 PM
    The rep did mention that the phone might be able to be unlocked after the contract runs out or if I paid full price for the phone as you did. This might be the problem! All of us here paid $300 less a $100 rebate for our phones not the 500+ you paid.
    In any event, I modified your email and sent it along to Verizon. I think Verizon has set up a corporate policy not unlock these phones and it will take **** or high water to change it. I am going to search out a Sprint store to see if I find anyone who knows the phone. I still have one week left to return the my Verizon 8830. Thanks for your help.
    No problem bro. If they still give you flack I can post the reply they gave me saying in black and white that the codes are available. Matter fact point them in here and let them see that mine was unlocked and we not have the pics, videos and written proof that it is available. By the way if you didnt pay full price you will have to pay the difference between what you paid and the full price of the phone. Thats written in the contract that I had to sign for them to unlock my phone. I will post the contract up when I get home.
    07-09-07 01:46 PM
    Just got off the phone with Global support. Not only did they say unlock codes were unavailable they said they had not heard the Sprint 8830 was unlocked! Massive denial? Sent an email outlining the complaint and referenced this thread - hopefully they will allow me to unlock mine!
    07-09-07 03:00 PM
    I attended some BlackBerry training, and it was made clear that the Sprint 8830 will have unlocked GSM. There is no doubt's about that.

What I don't know is whether or not the GPS will work without purchasing the GPS packages from Sprint. The phone just opened up for me to order today, so I should know more in a few day's when my shipment arrives.
    07-09-07 04:44 PM
    So yeah I called VZW back about this whole unlocking ordeal but I called up about a friend of mine who is trying to do the same thing but they are still saying that the codes are unavailable. When I got a rep (VZW never makes me wait long) the first girl did not even know what unlocking was, so I gave her a brief overview and gave her some insight to what it was. Anyway after that she got me over to another rep and I swear the first words out of her mouth was Youre not going to like this, but I cant be done. Naturally I called BULLSH*T! I politely informed her that it can be done and it HAS been done. She was very adimate about trying to convince me that they dont have the codes. Anyway after about 10 minutes of debating she put me on hold (I assume to go talk to coworkers) I started getting some truthful answers. First off, I want to say that I take back about what I said about some VSW reps in a previous post where I called some of them idiots. What I managed to find out is that the reps not stupid but rather uninformed. After she did some asking around she found out that for some reason they are not really saying much regarding unlocking this phone. All the reps believe that this phone cant be unlocked and it appears management is not doing much to counter that belief. When I asked her if she would unlock my friends phone, the response I received was It can be done, but I wont do it. I dont want to loose my job. That struck me as a little odd is VZW being such Nazis about this phone that they are threatening peoples jobs? Another thing is that she admitted that it can be done after she did some looking, as I originally thought If the reps do some research they can find exactly how to do it.

Another thing I found out was is that VZW will unlock ANY other global phone but on this they are being Nazis?? Hmmm this has me wondering Anyway I got the name and number of a manager there in the global support center and he is supposed to be calling me tomorrow in the AM about this. If I dont hear from him, you better believe I will be blowing up his phone because I managed to get his DIRECT number. I cant help but wonder why they are doing this because not unlocking a phone someone paid for is like buying a car and being told you cant put on rims and tint WTF?! I am sure in someway that this is very ILLEGAL because they are flat out lying saying the codes are not available and I am sure a class action suit is going to creep up, just in the same way it did with the whole Bluetooth issue on the moto 710 a few years back.

If anyone has any questions they want me to ask the manager, post them by 830am tomorrow morning and I will post the responses.
    07-09-07 05:11 PM
    BTW here is the reply I got from my original e-mail that I sent... This is the further proof (other than them unlocking my phone) that the unlock codes exist. I took out the name of the rep just for privacy. Also I attached the contract I had to sign

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 3:51 PM
    To: Me
    Subject: Re: Customer Service Feedback

Dear Mr. Xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is
    (The reps name), and I am happy to assist you regarding information about why you are unable to unlock your SIM card for the Blackberry 8830.

Mr. Xxxxx, I am sorry to hear that you feel that you were lied to or
    mislead when you purchased your global blackberry 8830. I can imagine the
    inconvenience that this may have caused you.

I am happy to inform you that we are now able to unlock the Blackberry 8830.
    Since you have purchased the phone at the full retail price you are eligible
    to have the SIM card unlocked. Before we can start the unlock process we
    need you to fill out the Global Unlock form. I have attached the unlock
    form to this email. You can fax it back to me directly. My fax number is
    803-400-xxxx,. Once I have received that form I can start the unlock process for you.

If you have any additional questions or concerns please reply back to this
    email or contact our global services department. They can be reached at
    800-711-8300.

I also took a few minutes to review your account to see if we could save you
    some money. I see that you use 411-connect. Did you know that you could
    get up to three number listings from one call to 411?

As a reminder, do not forget that you can dial #MIN (#646) and send for
    minutes used. The call is airtime free call, and a free text message will be
    sent to your phone with your estimated minutes used.

Finally, I wanted to take a moment to thank you. You have been a loyal
    customer and we want you to know how much we appreciate you. I hope we
    remain your favorite cellular provider for many years to come.

I make it my personal goal to resolve all of your wireless concerns. I hope
    I have done that for you today. We appreciate your business and thank you
    for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or feel
    your concerns are not resolved, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

(Name Here)
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient,
    please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and
    all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a
    Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your
    Customer Agreement.

Here is the link to the contract that I uploaded to my friends FTP site.
    http://www.itsrubbish.org/landon/SIM...20consumer.doc
    07-09-07 05:34 PM
    I just received an email reply from Verizon. They stated that since I did not pay the full price for the phone I was not eligible for an unlocked phone. I could pay them the difference and they would provide me with the unlocking details.

I emailed them backed and asked they which were cheaper – give them the difference between what I paid and the list price or pay a cancellation fee and sign up with Sprint where an unlocked phone is standard. I also informed them that I thought locking me in at $140 per month for two years was more than enough to justify the discounted phone price. I asked them to reconsider their policy so I would not have to reconsider my provider. This is really beginning to tick me off. Tomorrow I am going to take a serious look at Sprint.
    07-09-07 07:06 PM
    I just received an email reply from Verizon. They stated that since I did not pay the full price for the phone I was not eligible for an unlocked phone. I could pay them the difference and they would provide me with the unlocking details.

I emailed them backed and asked they which were cheaper give them the difference between what I paid and the list price or pay a cancellation fee and sign up with Sprint where an unlocked phone is standard. I also informed them that I thought locking me in at $140 per month for two years was more than enough to justify the discounted phone price. I asked them to reconsider their policy so I would not have to reconsider my provider. This is really beginning to tick me off. Tomorrow I am going to take a serious look at Sprint.
    Although they told you that you would have to pay the difference on the phone, atleast that is PROOF that they would unlock the phone provided you pay the full price of the phone. I personally think that is reasonable but at the same time your contract should be null and void if you pay full price that way you are free to do what you want.
    07-09-07 07:32 PM
    You shold think about returning it at the discounted price and buying it back full retail. They cannot hold you to a contract in that case....then you get an unlocked phone.
    07-09-07 08:23 PM
    Ask them to provide a full company document that states the phone can only be unlocked if you paid full retail price for it. Personally I think you all should know VZW is just trying to fish you for more unjustified money. You don't have to pay full price at Sprint to get an unlocked phone and they provide no company documentation or disclosure prior to your purchase which denotes that you can get an unlocked phone "only if you pay full price".

VZW in this perticular place is basically seeing that they are getting angry customers thanks to Sprint and Bell selling this same phone with all capabilities entact. So they basically sat at a board room and figured. Hey, no problem, we got cought with our pants down... we'll just dredge up this "You have to pay full retail for the phone" scheme and make some more money and then give these stupid customers what they should have got in the first place. They basically know no one out there is going to have the balls or be smart enough to know that what they are doing is EXTORTION!!! Smarten up people!
    07-09-07 10:57 PM
    Verizon just responded to my last email. They sent me the release and informed me that for an additional $119 they will unlock my phone. What it boils down to is that a Verizon phone is $219 ($119 plus the loss of the $100 rebate) more than a Sprint identical phone. The plans for each carrier are about equal. Over the two years, for a new contract it is less than $11 per month extra for Verizon. In my case if is switch to Sprint I have a $175 cancellation fee which leaves only a $44 difference or less than $2 per month. It is ridiculous that it has come down to this but I am somewhat a captive. However, in 23 months I’ll remember this and seriously re-evaluate. It’s a good short term policy for Verizon but in the long run I think they are following the wrong course. It is amazing the low value some companies place on existing customers verses the great value they attach to obtaining new ones.
    07-09-07 10:57 PM
    You shold think about returning it at the discounted price and buying it back full retail. They cannot hold you to a contract in that case....then you get an unlocked phone.
    You do know that early cancelation is a possible max penalty of $175 per line in use. Last time I checked 99+175 is nowhere close to what the retail price of the 8830 is. Besides that, when you buy a BB you'd be switching to a Blackberry data plan in your existing service contract which turns into a "contract extention/renewal". You're hosed either way.
    07-09-07 11:00 PM
    You do know that early cancelation is a possible max penalty of $175 per line in use. Last time I checked 99+175 is nowhere close to what the retail price of the 8830 is. Besides that, when you buy a BB you'd be switching to a Blackberry data plan in your existing service contract which turns into a "contract extention/renewal". You're hosed either way.
    Woah, wait a sec bro... I hate to play devils advocate here but getting a blackberry or changing your plan does NOT extend your contract. What extends the contract is when you take the discounts on the phone. Thats the way it works on sprint, not VZW.

Also why is he hosed doing the contract cancelation? 175 + 99 = 274.

519 (full retail of the phone) - 274 = 245. The way I see it, hes got 245 in his pocket... Where here is he hosed?
    07-10-07 05:27 AM
    With new plans they have out (voice/data bundle plans) it is possible to extend your contract with the Blackberry plans...that went into effect July 1. The voice/data bundles actually save you a little money on the data plan. You can still put on the standard $44.99 Blackberry plan which will not affect your plan.
    07-10-07 06:05 AM
    I was 15 months into a 24 month contract and had been upgraded as a customer so I could upgrade to a new phone after 1 year. My original agreement expires on 3/08, this new one 6/09. I just emailed than and explained since I am paying full price for this phone does my contract now end on 3/08, not 6/09, if not I asked them to explain. I will post their reply when I receive it.
    07-10-07 08:29 AM
    Trust me...if you paid $519.99 + tax for the phone and added the $44.99 Blackberry plan to your account....your original agreement will stay in effect. But you can buy a phone at full retail at anytime without having to worry about upgrade time. Essentially, you can upgrade at any time.....you would just pay the full retail price.
    07-10-07 09:06 AM
    With new plans they have out (voice/data bundle plans) it is possible to extend your contract with the Blackberry plans...that went into effect July 1. The voice/data bundles actually save you a little money on the data plan. You can still put on the standard $44.99 Blackberry plan which will not affect your plan.
    You seem to get what I said, BlondeBoyL didn't. BlondeBoyL go back and reread my post man. If you buy full retail and you keep the existing voice and you just add data (separate), you will not extend the contract. There is a very fine line there. If you buy any of the BB bundeled plans you automatically extend the contract. It used to be in years past that if you changed anything on the plan it automatically meant the contract would extend. They changed it to just extend the contract if you change the "bundle" rather then "options". Not only that, but VZW also has the right (if your contract is not in effect, because you're always buying retail and not extending your contract) to cut your service without notice.
    07-10-07 09:19 AM
    Also why is he hosed doing the contract cancelation? 175 + 99 = 274.

519 (full retail of the phone) - 274 = 245. The way I see it, hes got 245 in his pocket... Where here is he hosed?
    This is what I quoted and why he's hosed...
    Basically he's already paid 99 (if he got all the discounts) plus he's going to pay 175 to terminate the line. That 274 he's already wasted. Then he'll be paying the 519 to get the phone retail... that's 274+519 not minus. (VZW is not going to return his money if he's past the 30 days.) Now if he's still in the 30 day window, then yes... it will all work out fine and he'll get all his money back and won't have to pay contact cancelation.
    07-10-07 09:27 AM
    I just had my phone unlocked! I paid the additional $119 and my contract only runs through 3/08 the same as my old contract. It was an easy process. After my next trip to Europe I will let all know how it works. Thank you all for your support and guidance. The BB is GREAT! I have been a prisoner of the Treo's since the 300 first came out. It is so nice to leave the darkside!
    07-10-07 03:05 PM
    Glad you got it unlocked, but wow, that's a high price to pay to get your phone unlocked.
    07-10-07 03:27 PM
    I just had my phone unlocked! I paid the additional $119 and my contract only runs through 3/08 the same as my old contract. It was an easy process. After my next trip to Europe I will let all know how it works. Thank you all for your support and guidance. The BB is GREAT! I have been a prisoner of the Treo's since the 300 first came out. It is so nice to leave the darkside!
    Congrats! Now there are 2 people in the entire country who have unlocked 8830's lol
    07-10-07 03:37 PM
    I have had the OK from Verizon to get an unlocked 8830 for a few weeks. I even plan to pay retail. I really just want the 8830 to make calls and text messages while I travel.

But I was told by a few reps that I had to buy a data plan as well. I think I can get around this. Anyone else have an 8830 without a data plan .

Also, if we pay full price and get it unlocked, will Verizon unlock the GPS?
    07-10-07 04:36 PM
698 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD