02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    Yes it is possible to unlock the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition phone...By Verizon wireless ...I got phone from my kid ..who could not afford to pay he's delinquent phone bill of $350.00 dollars so he gave it to me..well I was not about to pay for he's bill just to activated my self..T o make a long story short..I was stuck with a phone that was only good for an MP3 player..So I went to Hollywood on Western & Santa Monica.T o a cell phone place & I had it activated...Pre paid..All the guy did was look up IMEI number ID.made phone call to some one & next thing I know it was activated he was kind enough to give me 150 minutes with it..How they do it I have no idea Im still looking into it...But yes it is possible to unlock the phone..note y phone has no way to insert a pre-paid SIM card..Were one would go there is something there already integrated into the phones main board..TY
    07-21-08 12:01 PM
    Just call Verizon and ask for Global phone service technical. They will help you unlock it for free. I have done it twice.
    07-23-08 07:21 AM
    Does anybody know how to unlock the sprint because i have recently purchased my blackberry 8830 world edition from my friend best purchase i have made but my phone still needs to be unlocked. need help!!
    07-23-08 03:35 PM
    Does anybody know how to unlock the sprint because i have recently purchased my blackberry 8830 world edition from my friend best purchase i have made but my phone still needs to be unlocked. need help!!
    Sprint 8830s are natively unlocked.
    07-24-08 01:06 PM
    Ya i know that but I tried a cingular and tmobile sim card and it wont work why!!!!!
    07-24-08 09:08 PM
    Ya i know that but I tried a cingular and tmobile sim card and it wont work why!!!!!
    Go read the big old FAQ that I had stickied (http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/883...ad-first-3308/)

You should have read that before posting in here.
    07-25-08 10:21 AM
    i just bought this phone from my cousin for $40. Can anyone do this for me??
    07-31-08 08:37 AM
    I have an unlocked 8830 with all chargers, travel/car and a 4 GB memory card. Anyone seen a price on these if I wanted to sell on ebay etc?
    08-02-08 06:52 PM
    It is possi le to unlock a cdma phone like sprint or verizon but what most carriers do is disable the internet. So you are better off just inserting the sim card and hope its accepted cause if you do unlock the phone the the internet function is lost

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-08 06:21 AM
    What is the real purpose for unlocking a phone? Aside from using it on another carrier...is there anything you benefit from by using another carrier?

If you unlock your VZW 8830, does it unlock the GPS functionality? Or just the network the phone works on?

I'm not sure if T-Mobile has the 8800 series BB, but Sprint has it...so why bother unlocking your phone...just buy the phone from the new carrier you want to switch to...

I guess you'd save money bringing your phone over from another carrier and not buying a new one...but I'll never leave the VZW network...do I have anything to gain by unlocking my 8830?
    08-06-08 02:40 PM
    hey i have a little problem. my niece brought me a sprint blackberry 8830 which she had been using in the USA, and i would like to know what i have to do to get this device working in my country, which is Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies.
    08-09-08 08:14 PM
    hey i have a little problem. my niece brought me a sprint blackberry 8830 which she had been using in the USA, and i would like to know what i have to do to get this device working in my country, which is Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies.

I've read the Sprint 8830 isn't locked by default so you can use it outside the US without the hassle of getting in unlocked. I would call Sprint and see if your country uses the frequencies the Sprint 8830 uses, also check if you need to get a SIM card.

Follow this link I found in the 8830 Q&A for the GSM World Coverage Map GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands if you want to check the coverage and frequencies on your own...

The 8830 Q&A is located here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/883...ad-first-3308/

Good luck!
    08-09-08 10:55 PM
    Just called VZW with my new 8830 to unlock. First girl said they don't unlock them....I asked to speak with someone else in Global Services, and they did the following.

1.) Sent me a free (2 day shipping even) VZW SIM card.
    2.) Once I received it I called them and they stepped me through the mepd, mep2, enter code, voila....unlocked. **She said she'd send an email with a waiver/disclaimer saying my warranty is now voided, but it hasn't arrived yet.**
    3.) Put in my french SIM card from callineurope, and it accepted it. I tried putting it in before it was unlocked, and it would display "invalid SIM card", an indication that it is locked.

Verizon was very helpful with this...no-one should be having problems. I did NOT pay full price for my phone...$100 with my discount for renewal.
    08-15-08 10:28 AM
    My carrier isn't VZW - yet (it's Alltel for now) but I have a question on my 8830: is there a way to tell if the phone is unlocked or not? Is there a code somewhere or a message or setting the user will see if the phone is unlocked but not if it isn't?

thanks,

MG
    08-18-08 09:52 AM
    Hello,

I have a blackberry 8830 world edition phone from verizon, i travelled out of the country and cannot get to use another SIM card on it, i would be glad if you can assist me on this, because i know you got to unlock yours.

Thanks in anticipation,
    Jose Cruz

NB: my email is josecruz79901@yahoo.com
    08-19-08 12:04 PM
    You have to call Verizon's Global service and they have you run some steps (probably already discussed in this long thread as well as one short, one-message thread that's also a sticky) to unlock.

You do need a sim card, any sim card inside the phone when you call them.
    08-19-08 04:19 PM
    Hey, how did verizon global service dept send u a free SIM card.....they asked me to purchase at a retail store for $29.99.....but they did tell me that i WOULD NOT have to pay to unlock the sim....its totaly free after i read the waiver...if u are not using the verizon sim, could i borrow it and i will return it to u once vzw unlocks my BB 8830
    08-23-08 04:26 PM
    R u saying that i dont need the red vodafone/verizon sim card...Would ANY SIM card work for the global support dept to unlock.....Bye the way how would VZW global service dept know what sim card is in my 8830?
    08-23-08 04:30 PM
    The 8830 needs just any sim card inside when you try unlocking. So, you should be able to borrow a sim card from somebody, put it in the phone, call Global support, get the unlock and then return the sim card. Afterward, any sim should work. I guess you could try going to a verizon store and say you know friends have gotten the card for free and see if they give you one??????????
    08-24-08 09:10 AM
    Hi there,
    New to the site.. sorry if I'm asking the same question (even though I didn't see it posted in my quick review).
    I've got a Verizon phone and they have given me the unlock code (as it was purchased outright and I have finished my contract with them), but am having problems with the Sim Card. I'm currently in Grand Cayman, and using one of their local carriers Sim Cards, so not sure if that's the problem. When I go through all the steps, and push "Sim Card" it says:
    "SIM Card: No Valid SIM Card"
    and when I push "MEPD" nothing pops up. So although I have the unlock code nothing is happening... would this be due to Sim card? I've used both cards of the carriers (Digicel and Cable & Wireless), the only 2 on the island, and neither one works??
    Also when in Canada, do I just purchase another Sim card... and how about when in the U.S. again?
    Thanks in advance if anyone has any information!!
    08-26-08 04:40 PM
    With the help of verizon I did unlock the 8830 thing this morning. It took some fighting though because I wrote an e-mail to verizon explaining how pissed I was about them saying that the unlock codes were unavailable when sprint's 8830 is unlocked. Last night they e-mailed me back and were very nice. they gave the form to fill out and had me fax it in and from that point it was a waiting game. Today about 10:45am they called me back (and global support is not usually open on weekends) and gave me the code and walked me through the process of unlocking the phone. Just an FYI, the MEPD code does not work, you have to enter MEP2 to bring up the dialog to enter the code. So now my 8830 is unlocked. If anyone doubts it I will post pics if you like. I hope this helps some of you but if you are told the codes are unavailable... its a big fat lie!?!

Also, note that they only give the code if you paid outright for the phone (full retail). If you did the upgrade and got the discount I dont think they will give you the code without charging a fee or something.

how you contact Verizon? can you tell me the email addresses? or phone number?
    I buy verizon BB-8830 locked. I need help to unlock it.
    thx.
    08-31-08 10:35 AM
    I am in Honduras and am having the same problem. Just got off the phone with Verizon. You have to have the verizon sim card in the phone to use the unlock code. Still does me good as the frequency is different here and the phone will not work anyway. It is almost a global phone but not quite.
    08-31-08 03:48 PM
    You dont have to be a royal D-I-C-K to people you heartless assclown!!!!!

1.) This forum is not for unlocking the phone to take it to another carrier, this is for unlocking the gsm side to allow the use of international sim cards while overseas

2.) The mep code from one phone will not work for another phone as its based on your phones individual imei number.

3.) If your not a VZW customer, they aint giving up the code

4.) Please go read the faq sticky thread before you ask another question that has already been covered many times!

5.) SEARCH is your friend!

09-05-08 01:58 PM
    I know that unlocking the phone will not enable the phone to work in the US on another carrier, but will it work in Canada on another provider?

09-08-08 06:17 AM
    NO.
    It will not work on a different North American CDMA carrier, nor will it work on North American GSM frequencies.
    09-08-08 11:57 AM
698 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD