02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 1617181920 ...
tools
    Stupid queston from a new beeie how is it that cdma network is better/superior than gsm? When gsm is gobal rightand cdma is only usa right?
    06-17-08 07:55 PM
    Stupid queston from a new beeie how is it that cdma network is better/superior than gsm? When gsm is gobal rightand cdma is only usa right?
    It depends who you ask. In my opinion one isnt necessarily "better" than the other. They both do the same things just in different ways. Over in the FAQ section I posed a link to wikipedia that decribes both in detail. FYI CDMA isnt only a US thing, there are other countries that use CDMA. For example S. Korea, Russia, Romania, Poland, Moldova, Czech Republic, Norway, Portugal etc... The list just goes on and on. There are HUGE amounts of people globally but you just dont hear about it as much as GSM with that being more favored in parts of the world (IE Europe). When it really comes down to it, its all about what gives you better signal where you are. If you are in an area dominated by GSM then I would say GSM is superior where you are. The same thing goes for CDMA as well if you are in a CDMA dominated area.
    06-18-08 07:02 AM
    I am in the process of unlocking my 8830 now. This is how I did it:

1. I called the Global Support 800 number (last night at 1am lol)
    2. I told the man that I want to use my 8830 in England soon. I am visiting a friend, and he said I can use his wife's TMobile SIM card for a while, to avoid the cost of global plans and such.
    3. Man says "ok we can do what's called unlocking the phone. Do you have a VZW SIM?"
    4. Because I don't, he said he will mail me one. I was sure to ask about cost, and he stated that this is FREE, and that afterwards I can use any SIM, and not be bound to a Verizon global plan.
    5. I am supposed to call him back in a few days when it arrives.

Very simple, no convincing necessary. I was really impressed.

Question for those who have done it: I've played around with that MEPD menu, but when I type MEPE or MEP2, nothing happens. Ideas?
    06-18-08 01:16 PM
    I am in the process of unlocking my 8830 now. This is how I did it:

1. I called the Global Support 800 number (last night at 1am lol)
    2. I told the man that I want to use my 8830 in England soon. I am visiting a friend, and he said I can use his wife's TMobile SIM card for a while, to avoid the cost of global plans and such.
    3. Man says "ok we can do what's called unlocking the phone. Do you have a VZW SIM?"
    4. Because I don't, he said he will mail me one. I was sure to ask about cost, and he stated that this is FREE, and that afterwards I can use any SIM, and not be bound to a Verizon global plan.
    5. I am supposed to call him back in a few days when it arrives.

Very simple, no convincing necessary. I was really impressed.

Question for those who have done it: I've played around with that MEPD menu, but when I type MEPE or MEP2, nothing happens. Ideas?
    Did you even read the BIG post which is also a sticky here in this forum that says "8830 Unlock Instructions"?!

On a side note... Mods can we start banning people who dont search and start deleting their reposts?
    06-18-08 08:32 PM
    Hi, I bought a blackberry from someone but it is locked with verizon. I called verizon and they refused to give me the unlock code for it. Can anyone help me out. It will be very helpful if someone can give me their own mep code so i can try it and see if my phone will work. Please!
    06-19-08 03:53 AM
    1.) This forum is not for unlocking the phone to take it to another carrier, this is for unlocking the gsm side to allow the use of international sim cards while overseas

2.) The mep code from one phone will not work for another phone as its based on your phones individual imei number.

3.) If your not a VZW customer, they aint giving up the code

4.) Please go read the faq sticky thread before you ask another question that has already been covered many times!

5.) SEARCH is your friend!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-08 05:37 AM
    Did you even read the BIG post which is also a sticky here in this forum that says "8830 Unlock Instructions"?!

On a side note... Mods can we start banning people who dont search and start deleting their reposts?
    Actually I did, and I just cared to share my success, just like you care to express your problems.

P.S. I'm not unlocking my phone for Tmobile if that's what you think. I'm fully aware that 800mhz and 850mhz are very different. Notice that I said in Europe though?
    06-19-08 12:54 PM
    Actually I did, and I just cared to share my success, just like you care to express your problems.

P.S. I'm not unlocking my phone for Tmobile if that's what you think. I'm fully aware that 800mhz and 850mhz are very different. Notice that I said in Europe though?
    So if you had read the post them you would know that when you type in MEP2 that nothing shows when you type, a menu simply pops up and if nothing happens then your obviously doing something wrong. This has worked countless times for everyone who unlocked their phone. But again you would know that since you say you read the post.
    06-19-08 01:57 PM
    So if you had read the post them you would know that when you type in MEP2 that nothing shows when you type, a menu simply pops up and if nothing happens then your obviously doing something wrong. This has worked countless times for everyone who unlocked their phone. But again you would know that since you say you read the post.
    Lol but alas there jerky boy, typing MEP2 exactly as the POST says yields no menu popping up. MEPE, MEP alt+2, alt+MEPE, MEP alt then 2, etc. I'm sure it's worked for many, just I cannot figure out why it's not working for me. Couldn't hurt to ask. Didn't your kindergarden teacher teach you that?
    Last edited by kdrweez; 06-19-08 at 02:17 PM.
    06-19-08 02:14 PM
    Where the heck did you get mepe? You go to options > advanced options > sim card and there just type in mep2. Where in gods name did you get the rest of that crap because its not in my post there.

Btw I'm not trying to be a "jerky boy" I just get tired of people asking the same stuff that I addressed months ago when I got all this started.

06-19-08 02:22 PM
    Where the heck did you get mepe? You go to options > advanced options > sim card and there just type in mep2. Where in gods name did you get the rest of that crap because its not in my post there.

Btw I'm not trying to be a "jerky boy" I just get tired of people asking the same stuff that I addressed months ago when I got all this started.

MEPE as in MEP2 without hitting alt. Tried everything I could think of.
    06-19-08 02:29 PM
    I have no clue what to tell you because I'm still thinking your doing something wrong. This is what I will do pm me your e-mail and I will make a short video of what you should be doing and I will e-mail that over to you. Fair enough?

06-19-08 02:39 PM
    hi all,

if verizon says that the WE already works overseas, what is the point of unlocking it?

thank you.
    06-22-08 11:42 AM
    hi all,

if verizon says that the WE already works overseas, what is the point of unlocking it?

thank you.
    To be able to use a local SIM from the country you are visiting and not pay Verizon's rates.
    06-22-08 11:52 AM
    Just got off the phone with Verizon. Just unlocked my phone.

1 Go to Manage Connections and Turn All Connections OFF
    2 Options>Advanced options>SIM Card> Type MEPD (no box, just type)> Type MEP2 (no box just type)> A box pops up asking for the unlock code> enter code and push trackball when done> A block comes up stating unlock complete.
    3 Manage connections>turn connections back on
    06-24-08 08:34 AM
    Verizon is telling me that the new version of the device software available at vzam.net/blackberry supports foreign SIM cards without unlocking. I am trying it now, but will not be sure until I travel next week.
    06-24-08 06:39 PM
    Verizon is telling me that the new version of the device software available at vzam.net/blackberry supports foreign SIM cards without unlocking. I am trying it now, but will not be sure until I travel next week.
    Follow the directions in this thread - you need to contact Verizon even with whatever software. They need to get info from you and provide a code number back to you. Don't just expect to travel and use a foreign sim card without following the process.
    06-25-08 01:04 AM
    Just got off the phone with Verizon. Just unlocked my phone.

1 Go to Manage Connections and Turn All Connections OFF
    2 Options>Advanced options>SIM Card> Type MEPD (no box, just type)> Type MEP2 (no box just type)> A box pops up asking for the unlock code> enter code and push trackball when done> A block comes up stating unlock complete.
    3 Manage connections>turn connections back on
    Actually the instructions are complete as I have done this on 4 seperate occasions. VZW has replaced my 8830 4 times due to mechanical defects and I had to unlock it again every time. Verizon tells you to disable the radio and type MEPD but in all reality it does nothing.
    06-25-08 08:49 AM
    I have quite an interesting story to tell amongst all you blackberry owners. I really dont have the time to look through each post and see whether or not my situation applies to others so I will do my best in explaining what occurred with my Verizon 8830 World Edition phone.

My first contract phone would be the 8830 and I was really happy with my new purchase. The reason I wanted this phone so much was because I was going overseas and had a huge interest in using my "world" phone. Of course you know Verizons rates are really high when traveling so the first thing I wanted to do was UNLOCK it. I did so by calling the global support team and they guided me step by step. They made me purchase a SIM card temporarily so that it could be unlocked. And all of this had to be done in the Verizon kiosk. Everything went smooth MY PHONE WAS NOW UNLOCKED but to my realization couldn't be used with any US CARRIERS.

The first country I stopped in was Ecuador and of course the first thing I did was look for prepaid SIM card. To my misfortune nothing worked. Not MOVISTAR, PORTA, or Allegro. What everyone told me was that they needed to unlock the phone or it was too "ADVANCED" for their network. As you can imagine I was really pissed because the phone which I had purchased for almost $500 wasn't doing what I needed it too. I was going to stick with the second theory since I couldnt find a single blackberry there or anyone who knew about it. My last hope was BRAZIL.

As my plane landed in SAO PAULO I started to receive phone calls immediately and my outgoing calls were now working (this all was occurring with Verizons Global Plan Because they phone was in ROAMING mode). NOW THE RATES IS SOMETHING I KEPT IN THE BACK OF MY MIND. So other than testing the phone calls I shutdown the phone until I could get my hands on a prepaid SIM card. I had a friend who at the time had her cell phone with her and the companies name was TIM. So the first thing I did was ask her if I could use the SIM card to test it on my Blackberry 8830. She handed me her phone and I anxiously took out the SIM card and put it into my phone waited for it to start up and what do you know my phone was working with a LOCAL SIM CARD.

Thats right after not having any service for about one whole month the phone had a successful connection and I was making phone calls with Brazilian rates which were much cheaper than Verizons Global Plan. Ok now here's where the story takes a weird twist and I really wish that people give me some feedback on why the following could've happened.

Don't ask me why but for some unknown reason I removed the TIM sim card from the phone and started to use the phone in ROAMING mode. I did this for one whole week. I was calling Los Angeles, New York, Ecuador, Sao Paulo like if it were free. HUGE MISTAKE, when I arrived back in LOS ANGELES I knew I was going to face the consequences. So I waited one week and looked and my phone log on VERIZONS WEBSITE. To my luck nothing appeared, the last call on the history page was when I departed LAX (LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT). So I started to rationalize and thought that it might take a day or two for me to actually see the calls come up on my bill. 1 WEEK passed and nothing was there. So as you can image I was desperate to know how much I would be paying. I called Verizons Billing support number and talked to a representative who told me that it takes up to 2 months for me to actually be billed for all those international calls. So this made me even more anxious because he was explaining to me how much the rate is for all the places that I had visited and when I calculated everything it came close to $3000.00.

I waited and now it's been 7 months and nothing has come up. There has to be an explanation to this. My first theory is that when you unlock this phone by calling the Global Support Team something happens to it that allows you to use it in other countries and not get billed for it. Maybe it's something Verizon has fixed but thats something I wanted others to know so that there can be a possible explanation as to how this happened. I do want to remind you that I used this phone all throughout BRAZIL WITHOUT A SIM CARD INSIDE, I did try a local pre paid sim card that worked without a problem.

Now what I have noticed is that Verizon can unlock the phone through their new software so what I would recommend is that you unlock your phone the old fashioned way which is by calling their GLOBAL SUPPORT TEAM. And getting the unlock code. Because I have a feeling that this new software might be the fix to the free calls I got away with

-Ill be more than happy to receive criticism or questions. I'm sure I will ;-)
    06-30-08 05:04 PM
    I can only answer the first part. The 8830 operates with GSM frequencies 900/1800 only.

USA and Ecuador use GSM frequencies 850/1900. That's why it didn't work.

Brazil (TIM Brasil) uses GSM frequencies 900/1800. That's why it did work with the local SIM card. So it truly was unlocked. Here are some helpful links for you.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/883...ad-first-3308/

GSM Roaming - Brazil

Your second part, I can not answer.
    06-30-08 05:20 PM
    Does anyone know if the phone is still unlock after a hard reset?
    07-11-08 09:08 PM
    I believe that once UNlocked it will remain that way but what do you mean by HARD RESET?
    07-12-08 09:56 PM
    I believe that once UNlocked it will remain that way but what do you mean by HARD RESET?
    When you do a "wipe handheld" under options.
    07-12-08 11:01 PM
    What additional feat become avail after unlocking the device!?l

07-13-08 12:28 PM
    just call verizon international cell phone section and ask for the unlock code. theywill ask if you have a verizon sim card, if you dont they will send one for you free of charge. once in they will gude you through the unlock process. they will fax you a disclaimer re usage charges by other carriers and ask you to agree.
    07-15-08 08:09 PM
698 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD