02-08-15 11:57 AM
698 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    1.) When your in the states it wont pick up a GSM signal but it will scream across the top of the phone saying "Invalid Sim". Just grab any ol' sim and test it. If it reads the sim and you can go to options > advanced options > sim card and it tells you the info on the sim, its unlocked.

2.) For the BB services to work (or the push / pull as you refer to them) you have to have BB connectivity for it to work. Now as I stated before there are SOME that are prepaid sims that give you data access but it all depends on the carrier. If they wil give you a prepay with BB data you should be good to know. Just note that it will be expensive as H**L. When I last checked go sim offered a spain international sim that did data but the data price was outrageous. Not really worth it in my opinion but every person is different. If they dont offer it anymore just hunt around some... I am sure something will pop up.

Just a random thought... since its work e-mail your going to be getting, why not get the VZW sim and use the data that way and have work pay for it OR write it off on your expense report?
    05-05-08 02:40 PM
    1.) When your in the states it wont pick up a GSM signal but it will scream across the top of the phone saying "Invalid Sim". Just grab any ol' sim and test it. If it reads the sim and you can go to options > advanced options > sim card and it tells you the info on the sim, its unlocked.
    Thanks.. getting Invalid Sim.. i sent an email to VZW with IMEI #.

2.) For the BB services to work (or the push / pull as you refer to them) you have to have BB connectivity for it to work. Now as I stated before there are SOME that are prepaid sims that give you data access but it all depends on the carrier. If they wil give you a prepay with BB data you should be good to know. Just note that it will be expensive as H**L. When I last checked go sim offered a spain international sim that did data but the data price was outrageous. Not really worth it in my opinion but every person is different. If they dont offer it anymore just hunt around some... I am sure something will pop up.
    I am confused again.. Is *data plan* you're referring to just plain GPRS (internet), or is it some BB specific stuff? Once again, if device 'pulls' data off the server, then I thought it would irrelevant which network it's on (so GPRS should be sufficient), if, however, server needs to find the phone on it's network, it could be a problem

Just a random thought... since its work e-mail your going to be getting, why not get the VZW sim and use the data that way and have work pay for it OR write it off on your expense report?
    Fair thought .. but I want to have email, but not phone calls, and I want to use my contact book, and I don't want to carry 2 phones, and since trips is personal, I want to be paying local rates, instead of VZW outrages 2.50$ per minute (Russia). Basically, i want to be checking email, w/o having to go to internet cafes.
    05-05-08 03:43 PM
    Fair thought .. but I want to have email, but not phone calls, and I want to use my contact book, and I don't want to carry 2 phones, and since trips is personal, I want to be paying local rates, instead of VZW outrages 2.50$ per minute (Russia). Basically, i want to be checking email, w/o having to go to internet cafes.
    $65 a month gets you Verizon's Global Unlimited Email + Internet + all other data.
    05-05-08 04:00 PM
    Thanks.. getting Invalid Sim.. i sent an email to VZW with IMEI #.

I am confused again.. Is *data plan* you're referring to just plain GPRS (internet), or is it some BB specific stuff? Once again, if device 'pulls' data off the server, then I thought it would irrelevant which network it's on (so GPRS should be sufficient), if, however, server needs to find the phone on it's network, it could be a problem

Wow buddy you really want to have your cake and eat it too LOL. Your either going to have to get the verizon sim and pay the rates as ofelas hinted at in the previous post or carry 2 phones... 1 for calls and the BB for your data. I dont think there is too much that can be done to avoid this unless you find a russian provider that will give you data access.

Oh by the way did you see on the VZW sites that the international rates are going up? Its a NASTY little hike too on some countries... They have the old prices still up so you can do a comparison.
    05-05-08 04:32 PM
    Wow buddy you really want to have your cake and eat it too LOL. Your either going to have to get the verizon sim and pay the rates as ofelas hinted at in the previous post or carry 2 phones... 1 for calls and the BB for your data. I don't think there is too much that can be done to avoid this unless you find a russian provider that will give you data access.
    Verizon was very nice to help me unlock the phone.. whole process from my email request to reply to unlocking took maybe 3hrs tops (they forgot to mention you need to reboot the phone after following their instructions).

I don't have a problem with 65 (or 69?) plan (my understanding is 69 plan is unlimited email data), as long as I can cancel it any time.. (I would still prefer not to have to deal with 2 phones) What is that whole 'occasional traveler' option.. I didn't really get the details..

and seems the only way to sign up is via a store of phone? They send you a Vodaphone SIM I assume?

I guess I'll go ahead and purchase the SIM card, and hope I could get it working with GPRS and my Russian provider, or fall back to Vodaphone SIM. From the FAQ (sorry, can't link) it's still not clear if GPRS alone is sufficient to 'pull' mail. BTW, gmail doesn't really work (b/c I misunderstood the nature of the service.. i thought it would pull mail into gmail from other accounts, yahoo can do this, but pop only)

Update:
    Forget it, VZW doesn't offer data services in Russia. However, the map for Russia (once again, can't post links, msg boards can't allow it) is 'orange' why you need 'purple' for GPRS and Voice Data... However, the map does offer clues.. If I have GPRS, does it mean I can pull my email? Then all I'd need is service with GPRS.
    Last edited by NetComrade; 05-06-08 at 12:38 AM.
    05-05-08 05:39 PM
    After reading up a bit more on how RIM BB works, I don't think plain GPRS will do for whatever email they provide..

My solution is rather simple.. just get an IMAP client for blackberry (such as LogicMail)... as long as I'll have GPRS, I'll be good.. I don't really see much of 'value add' in whatever RIM does with my mail anyway... and their filtering is rather pathetic.. Of course, I've only been a BB user for a few days (gave up on my Treo after a few years)

Thanks for the tips on unlocking all.. I'll be frequenting these forums a lot I am sure.
    Last edited by NetComrade; 05-06-08 at 12:33 AM.
    05-06-08 12:29 AM
    You CAN unlock the 8830.

Just call Verizon Global Tech Support (908-559-4899) and they will email you the unlock procedure and codse for free. Yes, Verizon WILL allow the 8830 to be unlocked without a hassle.

Jerry
    05-10-08 08:39 AM
    You CAN unlock the 8830.

Just call Verizon Global Tech Support (908-559-4899) and they will email you the unlock procedure and codse for free. Yes, Verizon WILL allow the 8830 to be unlocked without a hassle.

Jerry
    Why do people keep making posts saying this?
    05-12-08 12:12 PM
    Have any of you Black Berry hackers figured out how to unlock the GPS on a verizon 8830we so it can be used with tellme or google maps without paying VZW that extra fee and then being good only for VZN???
    05-12-08 02:54 PM
    I am having the same problem unlocking in canada telus to rogers are the codes universal or specific to each unit
    05-15-08 10:54 AM
    So are all unlocking codes the same? If so why doesn't someone just put step by step what the process was along with the code to make life simple for the rest of us
    05-16-08 02:09 AM
    There is a sticky with step by step, so this has already been done. As far as the code goes, there is no universal code that works, hence needing to call. If there was a universal code it would have been posted along time ago.
    05-16-08 04:59 AM
    Go with the GOSIM global sim. The rates are pretty good and your minutes NEVER expire. Its not as cheap as a local card but still very good and can be used in almost every GSM country. This is the card that I use in my 8830. Telestial has 4 others (3 passports and one other one I cant remember) if you want to check those out. There is also a russian based one thats pretty cheap but I dont remember what the name of that one was. A google search will yeild ALOT of results but make sure you take the time to compare rates. One other thing... you have to watch out because some charge a connection fee per call. Go sim and the russian one dont but the passports do but with the passports you get a UK phone number (+44) rather than an estonia numbrt (+372) which makes it cheaper for people to call you from the states.
    Hi, I just want to confirm that you did use the GoSIM card in Europe on your 8830 and it worked fine calling the US? I just called Rangeromer about their International sim card and they said they have had problems with the 8830 phones even though it is unlocked and everything. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
    05-16-08 11:29 AM
    Hi, I just want to confirm that you did use the GoSIM card in Europe on your 8830 and it worked fine calling the US? I just called Rangeromer about their International sim card and they said they have had problems with the 8830 phones even though it is unlocked and everything. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
    When I was in europe the 8830 was not out yet. Ive done tests with other unlocked phones here in the states using my gosim card and everything works fine. If your nervous about it just take a cheap quadband phone with you just incase. A prepaid quadband phone from ATT works fine you just have to pay to have it unlocked.
    05-16-08 09:40 PM
    Update on the unlocking issue I had on my trip in China and Hong Kong....So after some treaking with the phone and messing with networks, I figured out that the 8830 was selecting the wrong network to allow the phone to use the IDD feature to makes calls back to the US. SO I turned autoselect completely off and selected GSM and then whoala!!!! It works!!! Believe me, i was quite the happy man once i figured it out. So the unlocking from Verizon works, just that the 8830 may be selecting weird networks. Goodluck to anyone else with issues!!
    05-17-08 07:34 PM
    how do i get a sprint blackberry 8830 to work in other countries using one of their gsm sim cards
    05-22-08 11:48 AM
    how do i get a sprint blackberry 8830 to work in other countries using one of their gsm sim cards
    1.) Buy a sim
    2.) Pop Sim in
    3.) Make Phone Calls
    05-22-08 04:34 PM
    Nice work my friend. How did you convince Verizon to do this - just by telling them that Sprint's 8830 WE was unlocked?
    05-22-08 09:01 PM
    Int'l global support....i just got my bill this month from VZW. Get this guys, I was in china and used the global support number in Hong Kong to connect for some assistance with my unlocked 8830... Good ol' VZW charged me $2.50 per min to connect to global support. Isn't it great that they charge you for support that you should get for free? Now I have an extra $20 on my bill for a whole 10 mins of talk time. I may call verizon and see if they can take it off but i doubt they will.
    05-24-08 12:11 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I just got my 8830we two days ago and I love the phone. I am traveling out of the country for work in the next couple weeks and wanted to unlock my phone.

I just called Verizon's Global customer support and they gave me the unlock code to unlock my phone. They had to send me an e-mail with terms, which you can see below. I did not have to argue or anything. The lady was very nice on the phone and walked me through the process! It took 5 minutes to unlock the phone. Just make sure you call GLOBAL CUSTOMER SUPPORT. 800 -711-8300

Bus Trav Dave

Your Verizon Wireless Global Phone is equipped with a compatible Subscriber Identity Module (SIM)Card (the "Global Phone SIM Card") for use when roaming in 'GSM Mode' within the then-current Global Phone Service Area (GPSA), as published on Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless. When traveling internationally outside of the GPSA, You may use the Global Phones in 'CDMA Mode' throughout Verizon Wireless' international roaming service area, subject to applicable rates, terms and conditions. A current list of countries where international roaming service is available is accessible at

To obtain voice/data service outside of the GPSA using a Global Phone in 'GSM Mode', Your Global Phone must first be 'unlocked' by entering a numerical code ("Unlock Code") into the phone (see Your phone manufacturer's user guide for instructions). Once unlocked, You may insert another wireless carrier's SIM Card ("Other SIM Card") into the Global Phone to obtain service from that carrier. Each Global Phone has a unique Unlock Code. Unlock Codes are available upon request from Verizon Wireless subject to the following terms and conditions:

1. You agree that Global Phone rates do not apply to any service obtained through the use of Other SIM Cards, and that Verizon Wireless is not responsible for, and has no information about, such service.

2. YOU AGREE THAT ANY AND ALL USE OF OTHER SIM CARDS IN THE GLOBAL PHONE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND EXPENSE AND IS SUBJECT TO THE RATES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE APPLICABLE WIRELESS CARRIER.

3. You agree that, to the extent applicable when using Other SIM Cards, Your use of the Global Phone remains subject to Your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement, Calling Plan and Global Phone terms and conditions, including without limitation, the requirement to abide by all applicable foreign laws when using the Global Phone outside of the United States.

4. You agree that these Terms and Conditions become part of your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement and Calling Plan.
    05-29-08 07:03 PM
    I am planning to call Verizon to get instructions to have my 8830 unlocked so that I can pop in a SIM for service in Italy. I currently have the unlimited data plan with Verizon. When I put in the new SIM, what will happen with those email accounts that I have set up on my BB? And will I be able to get ANY Internet Service at all on the device? I would just like to know what to expect when I get to Europe. And I DO NOT want to use Verizon's data plan overseas -- ridiculous rates. I know the new SIM will allow me to make and receive calls, but what about some of the data features on the phone (like email and internet). How does that work with the new SIM?? If anyone can share their experience, it would be MUCH appreciated!
    06-14-08 02:12 PM
    I can't share any experience but I believe you need to have a sim card in the 8830 before you can do the unlock process. In other words, the process canNOT be performed without some sim card already available. Then you can remove the Verizon one, for instance, and replace it.

When I purchased the 8830, Verizon gave me a sim card for free.
    06-14-08 04:27 PM
    hey all... i just went through the most horrific process on this yesterday.
    here is the scoop for those of you who want to unlock.. get a sim, they are only $30 from the vzn store... call customer service and tell them you need to speak with global services. tell THEM you need to unlock it, they will send you an email regarding a bunch of stuff, but they didnt make me do anything with it..
    after that, they will walk you through unlocking your device and a few minutes later, you are done.

by the way the horrific part was caused by trying to take the device to sprint, which they told me three separate times could be done... but no, it really cant... it took me 7 hrs on the phone with them yesterday just to get to find that out.
    06-14-08 11:06 PM
    hey all... i just went through the most horrific process on this yesterday.
    here is the scoop for those of you who want to unlock.. get a sim, they are only $30 from the vzn store... call customer service and tell them you need to speak with global services. tell THEM you need to unlock it, they will send you an email regarding a bunch of stuff, but they didnt make me do anything with it..
    after that, they will walk you through unlocking your device and a few minutes later, you are done.

by the way the horrific part was caused by trying to take the device to sprint, which they told me three separate times could be done... but no, it really cant... it took me 7 hrs on the phone with them yesterday just to get to find that out.
    Everything you just posted here was a REPOST of everything in this topic. Unlocking was and has been explained numerous times. Also taking your device to other CDMA carriers has also been covered as well in other topic sections. Please run a basic search before posting in here with information thats already been addressed several times.
    06-16-08 07:43 AM
    I am planning to call Verizon to get instructions to have my 8830 unlocked so that I can pop in a SIM for service in Italy. I currently have the unlimited data plan with Verizon. When I put in the new SIM, what will happen with those email accounts that I have set up on my BB? And will I be able to get ANY Internet Service at all on the device? I would just like to know what to expect when I get to Europe. And I DO NOT want to use Verizon's data plan overseas -- ridiculous rates. I know the new SIM will allow me to make and receive calls, but what about some of the data features on the phone (like email and internet). How does that work with the new SIM?? If anyone can share their experience, it would be MUCH appreciated!
    SEARCH! This topic has been addressed. I even listed where to get the sim cards.

I hate to be a mean person but you people keep asking the same questions and posting the same info time and time again when this has been covered. Please SEARCH first before posting.
    06-16-08 07:50 AM
698 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD