02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    Good to know you got it resolved to your satisfaction, keep us posted as to how it performs in Luxembourg - slow down while you power on the 8830, otherwise you'll drive through Luxembourg before you get a signal
    Worked like a charm! Be persistent with VZW. Our corporate rep didn't have a clue - nice guy but badly informed, I guess. This CRACKBERRY forum was the answer.
    04-19-08 03:51 PM
    Got mine unlocked tonight.
    Very simple and easy and they did it with my old congular SIM card.
    Now im waiting for the Verizon SIM card. All this was free BTW.
    04-20-08 09:53 PM
    all I saw way people talking about doing it.
    04-24-08 06:29 AM
    all I saw way people talking about doing it.
    Yes... we have said how to do it too many times already but im feeling nice this morning so I will tell you how to do so. By the way make sure you have a SIM in the phone. Any sim will do for unlocking

1.) Call verizon GLOBAL support. Dial 611 and simply ask for global support.
    2.) Tell the rep you want the unlock code for your 8830 so you can unlock it.
    3.) Give them your IMEI
    4.) They will give you your code and enter it in the phone by going to
    Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card. Once your there just type in MEP2. You will not see what your typing...so just do it.
    5.) A box will come up asking for the network code. Enter in the code VZW gave you. Make sure its 100% correct when you enter it because you only get 10 chances to do it right... otherwise you perminately lock your phone.
    6.) If the code is entered right it will say "Code Accepted"
    7.) Enjoy your unlocked phone. By the way dont ask if it will work in the US on cingular or t-mo becuase NO IT WILL NOT!
    04-24-08 09:30 AM
    [QUOTE=BlondeBoyL;272203]Yes... we have said how to do it too many times already but im feeling nice this morning so I will tell you how to do so. By the way make sure you have a SIM in the phone. Any sim will do for unlocking

1.) Call verizon GLOBAL support. Dial 611 and simply ask for global support.
    2.) Tell the rep you want the unlock code for your 8830 so you can unlock it.
    3.) They tell you to give them the corporate access code.
    4.) You tell them you don't have it
    5.) They don't answer questions about how to unlock the phone
    .QUOTE]

Let me rephrase the question. If I have a corporate phone, and there are only a select few people who have access to make Verizon type of changes, how do I unlock the phone without Verizon.
    04-25-08 06:50 PM
    yes i can unlock it .but .need cable .shipping . last weeked i order a 8830 for a india client . very soon . but not any good idear for imei unlock . everybody have any question can give me email xingba2003@gmail.com
    04-26-08 11:07 AM
    Maybe someone can answer this for me, I'm in Hong Kong right now, with a VZW 8830, unlocked (theoretically). I put a prepaid sim in the phone, it works when i call Hong Kong numbers while in HK. This card is supposed to be able to utilize IDD so i can make international calls as well. However, My phone doesnt seem to be working when i try to make calls to CHina or Back to California. Anyone know why? I tried calling global support but being verizon....I got the "you're using a prepaid card, We can't help you" Any Help?
    05-01-08 02:00 AM
    Maybe someone can answer this for me, I'm in Hong Kong right now, with a VZW 8830, unlocked (theoretically). I put a prepaid sim in the phone, it works when i call Hong Kong numbers while in HK. This card is supposed to be able to utilize IDD so i can make international calls as well. However, My phone doesnt seem to be working when i try to make calls to CHina or Back to California. Anyone know why? I tried calling global support but being verizon....I got the "you're using a prepaid card, We can't help you" Any Help?
    Well the fact that you put the sim in and can make calls says the phone is indeed unlocked. Now of course vzw isnt going to help at this point because its not their problem to fix. The phone is working, you can make calls... its not their issue. It sounds like you need to call the provider of the sim card and see whats going on with the account that is keeping you from dialing internationally. Usually you have to enter the country code + area code + phone number BUT this may be done differently using a HK prepaid sim. Your only option at this point is to call the provider of the sim because if your dialing correctly but its not working its their problem, not verizon. Just out of curiosity... How did you call VZW if you cant call the US?
    05-01-08 06:51 AM
    Well the fact that you put the sim in and can make calls says the phone is indeed unlocked. Now of course vzw isnt going to help at this point because its not their problem to fix. The phone is working, you can make calls... its not their issue. It sounds like you need to call the provider of the sim card and see whats going on with the account that is keeping you from dialing internationally. Usually you have to enter the country code + area code + phone number BUT this may be done differently using a HK prepaid sim. Your only option at this point is to call the provider of the sim because if your dialing correctly but its not working its their problem, not verizon. Just out of curiosity... How did you call VZW if you cant call the US?
    Yeah i kinda figured that the phone is unlocked since i can make calls to HK numbers, I just thought maybe verizon "partially" unlocked the phone so that you only can calls limited in one country, so that they can say "we gave you a verizon sim card, U can use that." Sounds like a verizon ploy to me, right? haha I am indeed dialing correctly since when I put that sim into another phone and can make calls to the US. I may try dialing differently due to there's some other option to make International Roaming instead of IDD? I have no idea. But I made a call to vzw using the access numbers they gave me with the verizon sim card, theres numbers in almost every country, where u call it and put in your verizon sim # or account then it connects you to vzw global support.
    05-01-08 03:17 PM
    Yeah i kinda figured that the phone is unlocked since i can make calls to HK numbers, I just thought maybe verizon "partially" unlocked the phone so that you only can calls limited in one country, so that they can say "we gave you a verizon sim card, U can use that." Sounds like a verizon ploy to me, right? haha I am indeed dialing correctly since when I put that sim into another phone and can make calls to the US. I may try dialing differently due to there's some other option to make International Roaming instead of IDD? I have no idea. But I made a call to vzw using the access numbers they gave me with the verizon sim card, theres numbers in almost every country, where u call it and put in your verizon sim # or account then it connects you to vzw global support.
    Hmmm... Im not sure what to tell you there bud. give a call to the sim provider and see what they have to say but just an fyi, there is no such thing as "partially" unlocking.
    05-01-08 03:59 PM
    Hi,

I went through all 27 pages of the thread and could not find similar issue to what I'm experiencing. I wonder if anyone might be able to assist me here.

Here we go: I contacted Verizon and got the phone unlocked (thanks for the step by step instructions here so I could ask the smart questions).

It now recognizes the SIM Cards I have: 1 GOSIM GLOBAL and one AT&T.

My issue is very simple:

I'm in US and it does not connect to any network and does not find any network.

Let me add that I changed the network setting to GSM and put it in Manual Mode and tried the search. It just does not find anything.

I contacted VRZ Global Support and they said that while in US, even if you unlocked the phone it will not recognize the networks from the 3rd party SIM cards.

Can anyone give me a hint on what I'm missing? This explanation from VRZ did not make sense, since if the phone is unlocked it should work anywhere with a SIM CARD.

Help!

BBBeginner
    05-02-08 11:30 AM
    My issue is very simple:

I'm in US and it does not connect to any network and does not find any network.
    THE GSM frequencies that the 8830 uses are not compatible in the US.

Read this http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/883...ad-first-3308/ about mid point of the first post.
    05-02-08 11:52 AM
    Quick question regarding my situation in Hong Kong and China. Once i put the sim in, my phone just takes a bit longer to load up and then it doesn't really tell me much. I was wondering was there a configuration step I missed thats causing me to not be able to access that IDD function so i can make calls back to CA? As you can see, i'm still hopeful that theres just a minor issue that explains why my phone isn't working hahaha. Thanks guys
    05-02-08 03:46 PM
    Quick question regarding my situation in Hong Kong and China. Once i put the sim in, my phone just takes a bit longer to load up and then it doesn't really tell me much. I was wondering was there a configuration step I missed thats causing me to not be able to access that IDD function so i can make calls back to CA? As you can see, i'm still hopeful that theres just a minor issue that explains why my phone isn't working hahaha. Thanks guys
    There is nothing to configure other than setting the phone to gsm. You know now that I think about it... its a slight chance the phone just may not like that sim. Ya never know
    05-02-08 04:56 PM
    There is nothing to configure other than setting the phone to gsm. You know now that I think about it... its a slight chance the phone just may not like that sim. Ya never know
    Did I need to do anything in particular to set it to GSM? Maybe thats the issue and i'm just not savy enough to set the phone up cuz i actually didn't do anything, unless the phone did it to itself when i turn it on after i put the sim in. I just put the sim in and turned that bad boy on and it worked...well it calls hong kong numbers. Other than the fact that it doesn't let me call out to the US or china, it works once i turn it on. BTW, thanks for all your help BlondeBoyl.
    05-02-08 05:26 PM
    Did I need to do anything in particular to set it to GSM? Maybe thats the issue and i'm just not savy enough to set the phone up cuz i actually didn't do anything, unless the phone did it to itself when i turn it on after i put the sim in. I just put the sim in and turned that bad boy on and it worked...well it calls hong kong numbers. Other than the fact that it doesn't let me call out to the US or china, it works once i turn it on. BTW, thanks for all your help BlondeBoyl.
    Sounds like your phone is set to auto select since hong kong is a gsm area so your good in that respect. Now i still have no clue what the issue is if you can make local calls but not international but when you put the sim in another phone it can call international... I dunno man... Im at a serious loss. The other phone you have, is it a HK phone or a US gsm phone?
    05-02-08 09:28 PM
    I believe its a US gsm phone, I have no idea, hahaha. But, I just messed around with the phone in china and turned off auto select, and selected GSM manually. It seem to work with the CHina Sim...I'm going back to hong kong in 2 days, maybe thats the issue. Maybe Auotselect isn't selecting the right network. If thats the case, i'll be a happy man
    05-03-08 03:47 PM
    I believe its a US gsm phone, I have no idea, hahaha. But, I just messed around with the phone in china and turned off auto select, and selected GSM manually. It seem to work with the CHina Sim...I'm going back to hong kong in 2 days, maybe thats the issue. Maybe Auotselect isn't selecting the right network. If thats the case, i'll be a happy man
    Autoselect only picks the band you will be on, IE if cdma its going to choose that and if not it picks GSM. Now that you got me thinking about manual selections though, how many GSM networks are there in HK? Maybe you could pick a different providers network.
    05-04-08 08:00 AM
    I was wondering how to unlock the phone regularly...like not unlocking the sim but just the phone...what are the steps for doing that and is verizon willing to do that for you? thanks
    05-05-08 12:59 AM
    I was wondering how to unlock the phone regularly...like not unlocking the sim but just the phone...what are the steps for doing that and is verizon willing to do that for you? thanks
    What are you talking about? I hope your not asking how to unlock it to use it on another network because there is a big ol' sticky thread at the top of this forum with that very question in it. Have you even checked there FIRST or done a basic search for your answer?
    05-05-08 06:50 AM
    Is there are a way to verify that phone is unlocked?

Does email still work if you're on a different SIM (as long as you have GPRS)?

thanks
    05-05-08 10:38 AM
    Is there are a way to verify that phone is unlocked?

Does email still work if you're on a different SIM (as long as you have GPRS)?

thanks
    1.) Put in a NON-vzw sim. If it says across the top "Invalid sim" its locked.
    2.) Depends on the gps provider. If you have one from a network that will give you BB service on a prepay then yes. If not.. no
    05-05-08 11:06 AM
    Actually, this isn't so hard. You're all trying too hard!

When I upgraded to my 8830 last April, I specifically asked about unlocking the GSM side. I was told that the phone had to be locked for one year, and after that they would unlock it. As I've had the phone for over a year, I called customer service and was transferred to global solutions.

A very nice woman came on and walked me through it. She had to send me an email (attached) first that said they had no responsibility for charges on a third-party SIM card and that if the third-party SIM card caused any damage to my phone, it was solely my problem. After I verbally acknowledged receipt of the email, she gave me the code and walked me through the MEPD and MEP2 procedures. That took about two minutes, including rebooting the phone. Including calling customer service and being transferred, it was 20 minutes, start to finish.

Note that after you've unlocked your phone and are using another carrier's SIM card, you won't have data service unless you have a non-prepaid voice and data account with that carrier. Thus, when in a GSM area, you'll have to swap the Vodaphone SIM back in order to send and receive email and have access to other data services.

As opposed what has been said or conjectured in other posts here, you don't have to pay someone, including VZW, for unlocking the phone, you don't have to threaten or schmooz them to convince them to do it, and it doesn't matter whether you paid full or upgrade price for the phone. All that matters is that you've had the phone for a year.
    05-05-08 12:56 PM
    Actually, this isn't so hard. You're all trying too hard!

When I upgraded to my 8830 last April, I specifically asked about unlocking the GSM side. I was told that the phone had to be locked for one year, and after that they would unlock it. As I've had the phone for over a year, I called customer service and was transferred to global solutions.

A very nice woman came on and walked me through it. She had to send me an email (attached) first that said they had no responsibility for charges on a third-party SIM card and that if the third-party SIM card caused any damage to my phone, it was solely my problem. After I verbally acknowledged receipt of the email, she gave me the code and walked me through the MEPD and MEP2 procedures. That took about two minutes, including rebooting the phone. Including calling customer service and being transferred, it was 20 minutes, start to finish.

Note that after you've unlocked your phone and are using another carrier's SIM card, you won't have data service unless you have a non-prepaid voice and data account with that carrier. Thus, when in a GSM area, you'll have to swap the Vodaphone SIM back in order to send and receive email and have access to other data services.

As opposed what has been said or conjectured in other posts here, you don't have to pay someone, including VZW, for unlocking the phone, you don't have to threaten or schmooz them to convince them to do it, and it doesn't matter whether you paid full or upgrade price for the phone. All that matters is that you've had the phone for a year.
    Uhhhh... your about 8 months and about 400 posts late on this info but thanks anyway!

Edit: You dont have to have the phone for a year BTW. I had mine for WAY less time than that and got it unlocked... in case you missed it I was the FIRST person with it unlocked.
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 05-05-08 at 01:14 PM.
    05-05-08 01:08 PM
    1.) Put in a NON-vzw sim. If it says across the top "Invalid sim" its locked.
    How do I know it even read the SIM if I am in the states? I'd want to make sure it's cool w/ the SIM before I leave the States.

2.) Depends on the gps provider. If you have one from a network that will give you BB service on a prepay then yes. If not.. no
    Err.. that sucks.. it should've worked, if it was the phone doing periodic 'pulling', if it really is some 'push' thing, i guess it wouldn't work. I guess a workaround would be to get something like gmail to pull all my mail from work into a gmail account... too bad it doesn't have
    05-05-08 01:29 PM
698 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD