02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    Sorry to say, NOT TRUE...You can unlock the sim card portion of the 8830 so you can use 3rd party sim cards, no problem......I have done it on mine legally.....
    03-29-08 09:39 AM
    Sorry to say, NOT TRUE...You can unlock the sim card portion of the 8830 so you can use 3rd party sim cards, no problem......I have done it on mine legally.....
    What the heck are you talking about or trying to prove? This whole forum is dedicated to unlocking the phone. Matter fact I am the one who got the unlocking started. have you not read through these posts?
    03-30-08 04:55 PM
    I just called the VZW Global Support number and explained to the customer service rep that I would like to be able to unlock my phone as I am going to be traveling to Europe and the rep told me that she would have a VZW SIM card sent Fed-Ex 2nd Day Delivery and also provided me with tracking number also said that I should expect to receive on Friday. She also told me to call the Global Support number when I receive the SIM card and there are notes left on my account to be walked through the procedure to complete the unlock feature. No charge for SIM card and friendly service from VZW customer tech support. Boy have things changed in just a matter of months. I will repost again after I receive SIM card and call to complete the unlock procedure to explain how painful or painless that part of it went.

I finally had the time to call VZW Global Customer Support to complete the unlocking of my phone after receiving the free VZW/Vodaphone SIM card. Spoke with customer service representative and was given the directions step by step with customer service representative staying on phone during each step and customer service representative stayed on till process was complete and they also had me make a phone call afterwards to make sure phone was in working order. I didn't have to sign any paperwork at all. All I did was call and request to unlock my BB8830WE and was provided step by step directions by friendly customer support representatives. Absolutely painless process. I'm glad to see that they finally have their stuff together. Will be traveling over to Europe for two weeks and will report back after to let all know how I made out.

03-31-08 11:56 AM
    I finally had the time to call VZW Global Customer Support to complete the unlocking of my phone after receiving the free VZW/Vodaphone SIM card. Spoke with customer service representative and was given the directions step by step with customer service representative staying on phone during each step and customer service representative stayed on till process was complete and they also had me make a phone call afterwards to make sure phone was in working order. I didn't have to sign any paperwork at all. All I did was call and request to unlock my BB8830WE and was provided step by step directions by friendly customer support representatives. Absolutely painless process. I'm glad to see that they finally have their stuff together. Will be traveling over to Europe for two weeks and will report back after to let all know how I made out.

Congrats but i would suggest getting a 3rd party sim. Using the verizon sim kinda defeats the purpose of unlocking the phone... Unless you enjoy paying 1.29/min for GSM calling. If thats the case then happy trails my friend!
    03-31-08 01:54 PM
    Congrats but i would suggest getting a 3rd party sim. Using the verizon sim kinda defeats the purpose of unlocking the phone... Unless you enjoy paying 1.29/min for GSM calling. If thats the case then happy trails my friend!
    Thanks for the info. I am going to be traveling to several different countries so I am gooing to be looking for one SIM that I can use in all rather than purchase multiple SIM cards.
    03-31-08 03:57 PM
    Thanks for the info. I am going to be traveling to several different countries so I am gooing to be looking for one SIM that I can use in all rather than purchase multiple SIM cards.
    Go with the GOSIM global sim. The rates are pretty good and your minutes NEVER expire. Its not as cheap as a local card but still very good and can be used in almost every GSM country. This is the card that I use in my 8830 International SIM Cards from GOSIM - cheap mobile calls from abroad. Telestial has 4 others (3 passports and one other one I cant remember) if you want to check those out. International Cell Phones, World Phones, SIM Cards, Satellite Phones. There is also a russian based one thats pretty cheap but I dont remember what the name of that one was. A google search will yeild ALOT of results but make sure you take the time to compare rates. One other thing... you have to watch out because some charge a connection fee per call. Go sim and the russian one dont but the passports do but with the passports you get a UK phone number (+44) rather than an estonia numbrt (+372) which makes it cheaper for people to call you from the states.
    03-31-08 07:24 PM
    I have an 8830 WE with a Verizon SIM. Recently in Ireland, the phone would not link with Verizon's carrier there. On return, I discover this thread. I go through the MEPD > MEP2 steps and find indication that the card is "Disabled".

Next, I call Verizon's corp rep to my company (we use BES by the way). "Should work as soon as the card is inserted and the band selection is auto" (which it was). I send him nearly all the posts in this forum - he says the unlock only applies to non-Verizon SIMs. "Why, then, does it indicate 'Disabled' I ask?" He doesn't know - maybe it's the phone. "You don't need an unlock code."

So, I call Verizon as suggested in this string. Rep doesn't know what we're talking about. Doesn't even know about MEPD or MEP2. Gives me something called a PUK code; enter it and the indication still reads "Disabled". He arranges for us to swap the SIM card at a local VZW store. No change.

Question: Do you need an unlock code for a VZW SIM? What does "Disabled" mean? And, finally, should the phone operate internationally just by inserting the VZW SIM (of course, with GSM or Auto band enabled)?

Help!
    04-04-08 11:26 AM
    Question: Do you need an unlock code for a VZW SIM? What does "Disabled" mean? And, finally, should the phone operate internationally just by inserting the VZW SIM (of course, with GSM or Auto band enabled)?
    No unlock code needed if you're using the Verizon/Vodafone SIM in the VZW 8830.

Yes, it should operate when the VZW/Voda SIM is inserted + Network set to Auto/GSM.
    04-05-08 09:03 AM
    I would also like to know what DISABLED means in this context???

Mine shows DISABLED, also.
    04-05-08 10:38 AM
    My Pearl was already unlocked when I got it from T-Mobile - it said so on the bill, too - and it says "disabled" in every line.

So: "Disabled" (also?) means Unlocked!

Stefan
    04-05-08 11:38 AM
    No unlock code needed if you're using the Verizon/Vodafone SIM in the VZW 8830.

Yes, it should operate when the VZW/Voda SIM is inserted + Network set to Auto/GSM.
    Well, I called VZW support again. This time, the tech says "No problem." Emails a T & C document; asks for my agreement; goes off the line; unlocks or opens the account for service; gives me a code; enter the MEPD then MEP2; presto "Code Accepted".

Disabled stays Disabled. According to the tech, it relates to the network I am on (VZW stateside).

Inserting the card alone doesn't work. You must (a) have VZW enable international access (b) get a code from them (c) enter it.

The phone will be in Luxembourg next week. We'll see!
    04-08-08 10:36 PM
    Good to know you got it resolved to your satisfaction, keep us posted as to how it performs in Luxembourg - slow down while you power on the 8830, otherwise you'll drive through Luxembourg before you get a signal
    04-09-08 07:58 AM
    Were you able to unlock the phone
    04-09-08 09:12 AM
    Hi, I was able to get my 8830 unlocked through vzw, I am now wondering when I go overseas will I be able to get a data plan through orange for example, or does inserting a non verizon sim limit me to only make calls?
    04-10-08 05:57 PM
    Hi, I was able to get my 8830 unlocked through vzw, I am now wondering when I go overseas will I be able to get a data plan through orange for example, or does inserting a non verizon sim limit me to only make calls?
    My understanding. Only call will work. No email, no BB functions.
    04-10-08 11:53 PM
    You can IF the carrier who you get a sim from will give you a BB / data plan. I dont know of many carriers globally who will give you a bb data plan on a prepay. But in short it all comes down to the network provider of the sim card.
    04-11-08 03:43 AM
    What if I can only get a data plan? I have heard there is possible work around to not having a bb plan if I use the opera browser on the phone.
    04-11-08 09:46 AM
    I'd use the VZW SIM for data with an unlimited global data plan, and use a local sim or a cheap prepay phone for voice calls while overseas.
    04-11-08 10:53 AM
    Is there any way I can unlock my BB 8830 WE to be used with sprint My contract with verizon ends next month and im lookin to go towards sprint but want to keep this phone and not have to buy a new one from them.
    04-16-08 01:10 PM
    Is there any way I can unlock my BB 8830 WE to be used with sprint My contract with verizon ends next month and im lookin to go towards sprint but want to keep this phone and not have to buy a new one from them.
    No. Sprint will not and has NEVER activated phones from another carrier.
    04-16-08 06:07 PM
    I looked at your pics and watched the video, very helpful. The doofus at the store installed my SIM card backwards so I kept perpetuating the mistake. I am in China and bought a Sim card, installed it, and the phone powers up OK. My phone still shows my North American phone number instead of the one that came with the card. Anyone know how to resolve this????
    04-17-08 04:24 AM
    First you need to call Verizon Global Support 888.844.0395 and get the 8 digit "unlock" code - ********.

Here are the directions:

go to: Options>Advanced Options>Sim Card; then you come to a screen which reads: "Sim Card Security Disabled", below that it will read: "ID: *******************, my ID is 19 digits, and it is highlighted.

Next, You need to type in "mepd", PLEASE NOTE there is no prompt for you to type "mepd", but after you do you are prompted for your 8 digit code, type "mep********", then press trackball and do a battery pull.

Then you are good to go. When you get to your destination abroad, put in your local SIM card.
    04-17-08 10:17 PM
    First you need to call Verizon Global Support 888.844.0395 and get the 8 digit "unlock" code - ********.

Here are the directions:

go to: Options>Advanced Options>Sim Card; then you come to a screen which reads: "Sim Card Security Disabled", below that it will read: "ID: *******************, my ID is 19 digits, and it is highlighted.

Next, You need to type in "mepd", PLEASE NOTE there is no prompt for you to type "mepd", but after you do you are prompted for your 8 digit code, type "mep********", then press trackball and do a battery pull.

Then you are good to go. When you get to your destination abroad, put in your local SIM card.
    He wasnt asking how to unlock the phone (we have covered this too many times anyway). He was asking how to make it display the phone display the Chinese Phone number that comes on his sim rather than his US phone number.
    04-18-08 08:28 AM
    I looked at your pics and watched the video, very helpful. The doofus at the store installed my SIM card backwards so I kept perpetuating the mistake. I am in China and bought a Sim card, installed it, and the phone powers up OK. My phone still shows my North American phone number instead of the one that came with the card. Anyone know how to resolve this????
    Hi there, I'm actually going to china and hong kong in about a week. My 8830 is theoretically unlocked from verizon as well. I was wondering if you have any insight on issues with any prepaid sim cards in HK or china? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    04-18-08 06:58 PM
    Hi there, I'm actually going to china and hong kong in about a week. My 8830 is theoretically unlocked from verizon as well. I was wondering if you have any insight on issues with any prepaid sim cards in HK or china? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    No real issues to report for that area. If you unlocked your phone with the code VZW gave you, you should be fine.
    04-18-08 08:51 PM
698 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD