02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    I'm going to call tomorrow. I got a new 8830 and I need it unlocked for when I go to the UK. Hopefully this time they won't tell me that the device is already unlocked and that I HAVE to use a Verizon sim card.
    03-16-08 11:21 PM
    Don't know if its true, but when I upgraded to 4.2.2.196 (November 2007), I was told that this upgrade also unlocks the GSM portion. This was confirmed by a different VZW Customer Service agent a couple of days later. Again, haven't been able to test.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-08 12:28 AM
    Haha I like how you took pictures step by step and at the end there's even a video for it. Glad you got it unlocked. Sucks for the others that can't do it because of Verizon's policies but I think it's kinda fair that you can only get it unlocked if you paid for the full retail price.

03-18-08 12:43 AM
    Haha I like how you took pictures step by step and at the end there's even a video for it. Glad you got it unlocked. Sucks for the others that can't do it because of Verizon's policies but I think it's kinda fair that you can only get it unlocked if you paid for the full retail price.

I will have to disagree with you, User. Just because ppl buy things on sale doesn't mean they shouldn't get the full range of uses for anything that they buy. Requiring us to pay full price before we get the code is like, buying a car under sticker price, but the dealership disabling the reverse gear.

But anyway, I still haven't been able to check to see if other sim cards work on my phone since i've gotten it "unlocked." As soon as i do, I'll be sure to put up a posting about it. Good day fellow crackberry users
    03-18-08 08:44 AM
    Ok to follow up on what i've posted a couple days ago.....So i received the vzw sim card in the mail. Put that sucker in, called 908-559-4899. Let them know i had previously called and got my sim card and ready to unlock my bb. Process was pretty simple, code was accepted. Theoretically my phone is unlocked. To clarify, I asked that it is unlocked and that i can use prepaid sim cards overseas. So in all, everything seem to have been taken care of. Now I just wait till my trip and we'll see if it works or not!! Goodluck to the others going thru the unlocking process.
    I just called the VZW Global Support number and explained to the customer service rep that I would like to be able to unlock my phone as I am going to be traveling to Europe and the rep told me that she would have a VZW SIM card sent Fed-Ex 2nd Day Delivery and also provided me with tracking number also said that I should expect to receive on Friday. She also told me to call the Global Support number when I receive the SIM card and there are notes left on my account to be walked through the procedure to complete the unlock feature. No charge for SIM card and friendly service from VZW customer tech support. Boy have things changed in just a matter of months. I will repost again after I receive SIM card and call to complete the unlock procedure to explain how painful or painless that part of it went.
    03-18-08 09:29 PM
    I just called the VZW Global Support number and explained to the customer service rep that I would like to be able to unlock my phone as I am going to be traveling to Europe and the rep told me that she would have a VZW SIM card sent Fed-Ex 2nd Day Delivery and also provided me with tracking number also said that I should expect to receive on Friday. She also told me to call the Global Support number when I receive the SIM card and there are notes left on my account to be walked through the procedure to complete the unlock feature. No charge for SIM card and friendly service from VZW customer tech support. Boy have things changed in just a matter of months. I will repost again after I receive SIM card and call to complete the unlock procedure to explain how painful or painless that part of it went.
    I just called again and had the same results. The rep. emailed me the unlock unstructions and my SIM card will be on its way tomorrow, free of charge.
    03-19-08 08:48 PM
    I just called again and had the same results. The rep. emailed me the unlock unstructions and my SIM card will be on its way tomorrow, free of charge.
    You can actually unlock your phone by using any GSM sim card by just following the instructions the rep sent you. I just did it using a co-workers Tmobile sim.

Ljay
    03-20-08 11:16 AM
    OK. So my SIM card is on the way. I talked to Verizon Global and they were delightful - no charge for the SIM card. When I get it and activate it and unlock the phone, will I be able to use the phone in Argentina? Verizon has no agreement with Vodafone so I know that I can't use the Verizon SIM card.

Assuming that Vodafone is GSM in Argentina (I don't know) it seems that I should be able to pick up a local SIM card and be good to go.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-BB
    03-21-08 03:51 PM
    Looks like Claro or CTI Movil are the GSM networks there, not Vodafone. So the question is the same - will an unlocked 8830WE be able to use a local Claro or CTI Movil SIM card?
    03-21-08 04:08 PM
    I got my BB (8830 Verizon) through my company. Do you think I would be able to do what you did and call/email to unlock the phone?
    03-24-08 10:20 AM
    so then this is what i am wondering..... why dont someone just post up the procedures on unlocking the phone then we all can.... (i also have verizon also) that makes the best since than calling to Verizon Wireless about unlocking your phone......
    03-24-08 12:29 PM
    so then this is what i am wondering..... why dont someone just post up the procedures on unlocking the phone then we all can.... (i also have verizon also) that makes the best since than calling to Verizon Wireless about unlocking your phone......
    This would be done, and in some manner has been done if you read all the posts above. However the unlock code is tied to the some number, presumably the ESN. Inorder to unlock the headset only Verizon can give you this number, or at least only Verizon can until someone comes up with a unlock code generator, which is unlikely. So if your with Verizon, and want your sim unlocked, bite the bullet and sit on hold with Verizon. Unless all the unlock codes are the same, which I highly doubt seeing the length of the code. I would let someone try my unlock code, but keep in mind you only get 12 attempts (I think) before the phone just stops working.
    Last edited by bmtbandit; 03-24-08 at 12:40 PM.
    03-24-08 12:37 PM
    ok question... by doing this will it allow the GPS setting on the device to fully work???
    03-24-08 01:50 PM
    Ensure SIM card is inserted correctly
    Go to 'Manage Connections'
    Click on 'Turn All Connections Off'
    Go to 'Options'
    Click on 'Advanced Options'
    click on 'SIM Card'
    Type 'MEPD' (letters will not appear on-screen but a menu will pop up)
    Type 'MEP2' (user will be prompted to enter MEP code)
    Enter the unlock code ********
    Press trackball
    Reboot device
    Go to 'Manage Connections'
    Click on 'Restore Connections'

Device is now unlocked

That's all there is to it....rep just needs to give you the code for your phone

Ljay
    03-24-08 03:56 PM
    Confirmed!

Just did this and they don't need you to send in a form.

It still doesn't work with US GSM bands, so it's pretty much only good for local Vodafone or O2UK SIM's and the like (I tried an AT&T SIM and it just says "Searching for GSM...")
    03-24-08 05:06 PM
    Is there a way to check to see if the phone is in fact unlocked? I'd hate to be on a trip to find out it wasn't unlocked.
    03-24-08 06:35 PM
    Is there a way to check to see if the phone is in fact unlocked? I'd hate to be on a trip to find out it wasn't unlocked.
    I'd like to know how to check that, too.
    03-24-08 10:48 PM
    I got my SIM card this morning and unlocked the BB. That was painless, why does verizon make such a big deal about it?
    03-25-08 10:21 AM
    I really need to check this thread more often because I see there are still LOTS of questions and people with problems so here goes....

OK. So my SIM card is on the way. I talked to Verizon Global and they were delightful - no charge for the SIM card. When I get it and activate it and unlock the phone, will I be able to use the phone in Argentina? Verizon has no agreement with Vodafone so I know that I can't use the Verizon SIM card.

Assuming that Vodafone is GSM in Argentina (I don't know) it seems that I should be able to pick up a local SIM card and be good to go.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-BB
    You will NOT be able to use the GSM in Argentina because argentina uses the 850 / 1900 (US) gsm bands. The 8830 Does not support that. Grab a quadband phone off e-bay and unlock it (if its not already) and use that.

Looks like Claro or CTI Movil are the GSM networks there, not Vodafone. So the question is the same - will an unlocked 8830WE be able to use a local Claro or CTI Movil SIM card?
    See previous reply.

I got my BB (8830 Verizon) through my company. Do you think I would be able to do what you did and call/email to unlock the phone?
    No. Your not the account holder. Only those who are 1.) The account holder or 2.) An authorized person allowed to make changes to the account, can call and get the phone unlocked. You have to remember the phone may be in your possession but its your job that is the owner. Think of it as trying to put a turbo or a supercharger on a rental car.

ok question... by doing this will it allow the GPS setting on the device to fully work???
    Unlocking has nothing to do with the GPS.

Pop in a sim thats non verizon. If it says INVALID SIM its locked. If it does nothing and reads the sim its unlocked.

I got my SIM card this morning and unlocked the BB. That was painless, why does verizon make such a big deal about it?
    Because they make more money with you using a vodafone / verizon sim rather than using someone else's card.

If you all still have more questions / problems... e-mail me.
    03-25-08 11:13 AM
    Thanks to all the advice from this thread it was easy.

I just had a quick question I will be traveling to London for a few months. I would like to know what the best sim card would be to purchase that would work in London and all over Europe flawlessly. Thanks in advance for all your help.
    03-26-08 04:22 PM

I just had a quick question I will be traveling to London for a few months. I would like to know what the best sim card would be to purchase that would work in London and all over Europe flawlessly. Thanks in advance for all your help.
    I'm going to be heading over there too so I'd like to know as well.
    03-26-08 08:30 PM
    Does anyone know of a master list of the SIM cards that work on an unlocked 8830 WE by country. I went the to Caymans, bought a SIM card from the island phone co and got an SOS. They told me Verizon doesn't truly unlock the phone. Going to Asia and don't want the same thing to happen.

Thanks
    03-26-08 09:50 PM
    Does anyone know of a master list of the SIM cards that work on an unlocked 8830 WE by country. I went the to Caymans, bought a SIM card from the island phone co and got an SOS. They told me Verizon doesn't truly unlock the phone. Going to Asia and don't want the same thing to happen.

Thanks
    I can't imagine there would be since it is a GSM world as their are approx. 1 billion GSM users worldwide and approx. 270 million CDMA users and most of us are in North America. I would try a simple google search like this "900/1800 + prepaid + simcard" to find the right card for you in your country of choice and just remember that the 8830 only supports the 900/1800 bands...so, I would check coverage for these freq. in the area you plan to visit as well.

Ljay
    03-27-08 12:10 AM
    Thanks Ljay - I'll try the search.

What I meant was is there a source that ID's the better SIM vendors by country, e.g.

When in Thailand use A,B,C
    When in France use M,N,O
    etc.

I think the info would be helpful for both coverage as well as cost for calls using that particular SIM card. I guess kinda like a "callingcards.com" but for SIM cards.
    03-27-08 07:04 AM

I'm going to be heading over there too so I'd like to know as well.

Thanks
    Thanks Ljay - I'll try the search.

What I meant was is there a source that ID's the better SIM vendors by country, e.g.

When in Thailand use A,B,C
    When in France use M,N,O
    etc.

I think the info would be helpful for both coverage as well as cost for calls using that particular SIM card. I guess kinda like a "callingcards.com" but for SIM cards.
    All of these questions can be answered at the same time. Go to Telestial.com - Prepaid SIM Cards. There they have a sim card for just about every country that has GSM. This is no "master list" but it is quite extensive. For those countries that do not have a provider who will sell a prepaid sim card OR the cost is too high they do offer a global sim which works in any GSM country. Their global sim and local sims do expire after a while so if you do not make calls for X - amount of time you will loose the credit on the sims. For a global sim that never expires use International SIM Cards from GOSIM™ - cheap mobile calls from abroad and pick their global sim card. Just a side note, the global sim cards have an Estonia based (+372) number so it can get expensive for people to call you, BUT they do offer a 1800 number for people to cal you toll free but you do pay a surcharge for the call...FYI.

On the flip side if you get a local sim you get a phone number based in that country which makes it cheaper for local calls. You have to do a price comparison which both sites do offer... I hope this helps you guys out.

Forgot one thing.. ANY sim card that runs on a GSM network will work in the 8830 FYI. There are no restrictions to what sims you can use if the phone is unlocked. There is no "partially unlocking" a phone to work with carriers A B and C but not D. Unlocking is an all or nothing deal. The card you got was probably bad because Telestial offers a cayman islands sim card on their website from DIGICEL (the carrier out there) if your interested... Cayman Islands SIM Card
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 03-27-08 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Forgot some info
    03-27-08 12:06 PM
698 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD