02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    I followed the steps outlined and as noted above, called Verizon and did the steps.

BUT while I asked for an email, she insisted on FAX. I gave my phone number but since it is a computer-fax-homephone, I never did successfully receive it. Might they have RElocked my phone?

I saw another thread that said something about one of the ways to tell and it mentioned that if you entered the MEPD code and the line

Network ....... ACTIVE

it meant it was NOT unlocked. That is what mine now reads.

By the way, at the top of that screen or page I see:

SIM Card: Security Disabled

Since I was not sure, today I called Verizon again. Went through the steps, did the MEP2 step and entered the code number she read to me. But when pressing the trackball I got an error message she was not aware of...

"Code error; please wait...."

It then clears itself and I'm back at the SIM card detail screen where I again see

Sim Disabled
    Network Active

And Disabled for the last 3 items.

Network Subset
    Service Provider
    Corp

Could it be that since it was UNlocked, it cannot be done again which generates the error?

Am I UNlocked, RElocked or what?

Thanks in advance.
    01-30-08 03:34 PM
    Guys-
    I'm a little lost now. What can you do with the 8830 when its unlocked that you can't when its locked?? I just got mine today from Verizon and hated to leave Nextel. They were so good to me. Any takers???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-08 01:54 AM
    Apollo...

You can install a "foreign" sim card when overseas. I gather you can get better rates with some other carriers than with the Verizon related ones over THERE!

The Verizon 8830WE can communicate on the frequencies used in Europe/Other with a sim card.
    02-08-08 10:10 AM
    Very exciting when seeing this thread on google search. I have got a verizon blackberry 8830 from the other third party and it should be a second hand BB. Unfortunately the SIM was locked and I'm working out of the states. It's really a headache because it means useless for me as i can't & don't want use the other people's CDMA network out of the states. Does anybody could help to make a call for me to Verizon to unlock the SIM or give me some idea to email them the details for unlocking. I am much appreciated if you could and this is my first time use blackberry phone.
    02-13-08 03:54 AM
    Apollo...

You can install a "foreign" sim card when overseas. I gather you can get better rates with some other carriers than with the Verizon related ones over THERE!

The Verizon 8830WE can communicate on the frequencies used in Europe/Other with a sim card.
    what about sim cards of competitors? any way to get them to work?
    02-13-08 05:04 PM
    If you put a foreign sim card in your number changes though. In many ways defeating the beauty of a global phone.
    02-21-08 09:06 PM
    Hi!
    I live in Russia, I bought 2 BB8830 Verizon on ebay and I need to unlock them. I called to Verizon support but they asked about my phone number and password, I don't know what to tell him. Can somebody help me? I can send my imei and pin.
    Thanks!
    02-29-08 04:25 AM
    I would like to add my input here. My company gave us VZW 8830 WE phones several months back. They are CDMA & GSM (the thing came with a Verizon SIM card). Since we do a lot of international work, our IT guy called VZW and whined at them for over 2 hours and finally got the unlock code. Right now, I am working in the Caribbean on the island of Curacao. I went to the local cell phone office (UTS - Digicel is here also) and bought a plain Jane SIM card, installed it, signed up for their Blackberry service and I can get e-mail (BB push), internet access, phone service - well everything I had on the VZW system in the US on the local GSM. The BB maps doesn't work since that's been screwed with by Verizon for their system. I can also switch back to the CDMA system and use my US cell phone number to make and receive calls on it. The local company here (Digicel) has roaming agreements with VZW - super expensive though. Although I am not a big fan of VZW and the 8830 WE combo (hard feelings over the whole GPS debacle), it does work well and gives good flexibility for communications. To enter the unlock code, you have to go to the SIM card in Advanced Option, type MEP2 and a box open to type in the code. You have only 10 attempts to enter the number correctly or the phone will die permanently on you. Hope this answers some of your question. Good luck and don't take NO from VZW for the code...they will give it up!
    03-03-08 03:26 PM
    I just called, they verified the account was in good standing, and gave me the code. Overall painless process. Dont know if Ill ever use a foreign sim, but having the ability is never a bad thing.
    03-06-08 09:27 AM
    Looks like I may be calling Verizon to get mine unlocked since I paid full retail for it.
    03-06-08 07:41 PM
    The full retail is not required. I got mine at the upgrade price. It takes a little while, but they will do it. At least for me no beggin or pleading involved. Just I want it, account is in good standing, please hold. 15 minutes later, sorry for the long hold, here is your code.
    03-07-08 01:28 PM
    Ok guys, so i've read thru a good 15 pages of posts in this thread and basically getting frustrated.... So I got my vzw 8830 as an upgrade, been with verizon 5+ yrs. So WHat i'm getting from recent posts is that, if i call global customer service and ***** enough, they're supposed to give me the code to unlock it? Please let me know if i'm getting that correctly and if someone can provide me with the global support number to ***** at, that would be great!!
    03-09-08 03:01 PM
    Glabal support number is 1 908 559 4899. I just upgraded my phone as well. It didn't require any bi***ing just a request for the code.
    03-10-08 07:02 AM
    Glabal support number is 1 908 559 4899. I just upgraded my phone as well. It didn't require any bi***ing just a request for the code.
    I just called that number and it was not correct. I had to call 1-800-711-8300, which is VZW Global Support. According to the rep I spoke with all of the newer versions of the software will automically unlock the phone. He said that once you insert the foreign SIM it will either start working and read the SIM or you will have to enter the Delock code which is given to you by the foreign carrier.
    03-10-08 09:14 PM
    I just called that number and it was not correct. I had to call 1-800-711-8300, which is VZW Global Support. According to the rep I spoke with all of the newer versions of the software will automically unlock the phone. He said that once you insert the foreign SIM it will either start working and read the SIM or you will have to enter the Delock code which is given to you by the foreign carrier.
    Are you sure you dialed the number correctly? I called that number yesterday and spoke with someone. Everything seems legit and they had my information. In fact, the girl was even kind enough to be sending me a verizon sim card so once i receive it, I can use that to unlock the phone and have the option of using the verizon card or another sim. So far everything seems legit, the number works, so we'll see when the sim card comes in and I call again.
    03-11-08 08:18 AM
    Are you sure you dialed the number correctly? I called that number yesterday and spoke with someone. Everything seems legit and they had my information. In fact, the girl was even kind enough to be sending me a verizon sim card so once i receive it, I can use that to unlock the phone and have the option of using the verizon card or another sim. So far everything seems legit, the number works, so we'll see when the sim card comes in and I call again.
    When I called that number I got a woman that didn't even know what I was talking about and she transferred me to the data team. When I spoke with the woman on that team she gave the 800 number to call. When I called that the man I spoke with told me the info. about the phone already being unlocked.
    03-11-08 12:01 PM
    When I called that number I got a woman that didn't even know what I was talking about and she transferred me to the data team. When I spoke with the woman on that team she gave the 800 number to call. When I called that the man I spoke with told me the info. about the phone already being unlocked.
    If someone could throw a random SIM card in a phone with a new version of the software and confirm/deny this, that would be sublime.
    03-11-08 12:52 PM
    If someone could throw a random SIM card in a phone with a new version of the software and confirm/deny this, that would be sublime.
    Ok well I just went over to a co-workers desk, took his sim card and put it in my phone. When it started up it said "Invalid Sim Card" at the top. My os version is 4.2.2.176
    03-11-08 01:12 PM
    Ok well I just went over to a co-workers desk, took his sim card and put it in my phone. When it started up it said "Invalid Sim Card" at the top. My os version is 4.2.2.176
    The Verizon rep. I spoke with said that it had to be a foreign SIM card.
    03-11-08 01:53 PM
    Greetings, my first post and first blackberry

After reading this thread last night I did not hold a lot of hope for unlocking my 8830 without a lot of hassle. I went to Verizon.com and contacted them with a moderately nasty email about how I was told at the Verizon dealer that this phone worked in Japan and come to find out Verizon has no service agreements in Japan so I asked to unlock the phone to use a different sim card and within 2 hours I received an email with the code and instructions. I have tried calling the global service department before when I was in Europe and could not receive emails and I did not find them to be much help.

Just my experience, yours may differ

cheers
    03-12-08 12:21 PM
    Hello all....this is my first post and blackberry as well.

I called Verizon and told them I wanted an unlock code. The first girl I got didn't know what she was talking about. She said, "oh we don't have an unlock code." and all other bs she threw at me. So I asked for someone else. The next girl said they can unlock it for me. After account verification and so forth she told me she will send me Verizon sim card and terms and condition. I will have to input Verizon sim card and call them for instruction once that has been done. Basically, she told me I need VZ sim card to unlock it first then I can use any sim card. I also have to fax over terms and conditions. She also said verizon will not provide any support when I'm using other carrier sim card. Uhhh I think I know not to call them for support but anyways...the whole process was pretty easy.
    03-12-08 03:52 PM
    Ok to follow up on what i've posted a couple days ago.....So i received the vzw sim card in the mail. Put that sucker in, called 908-559-4899. Let them know i had previously called and got my sim card and ready to unlock my bb. Process was pretty simple, code was accepted. Theoretically my phone is unlocked. To clarify, I asked that it is unlocked and that i can use prepaid sim cards overseas. So in all, everything seem to have been taken care of. Now I just wait till my trip and we'll see if it works or not!! Goodluck to the others going thru the unlocking process.
    03-12-08 04:16 PM
    Ok to follow up on what i've posted a couple days ago.....So i received the vzw sim card in the mail. Put that sucker in, called 908-559-4899. Let them know i had previously called and got my sim card and ready to unlock my bb. Process was pretty simple, code was accepted. Theoretically my phone is unlocked. To clarify, I asked that it is unlocked and that i can use prepaid sim cards overseas. So in all, everything seem to have been taken care of. Now I just wait till my trip and we'll see if it works or not!! Goodluck to the others going thru the unlocking process.
    Nice! Have you try using other carrier's sim card like att? Good to know the process was easy for you. I guessed VZ decided not to give customers a hard time if they want to unlock the phone. From the previous post I thought I had to convince them in providing me with the code.
    03-12-08 05:18 PM
    Will someone please complain to WAVY tv 10 onyourside (google it) about these
    service providers nickel & dimeing their customers. This Virginia tv station has been know to bring attention to some big problems like this. I would do it, but my job wont allow me to do so. Can I get some help here?
    03-12-08 08:03 PM
    Just a quick reply guys cool web site by the way
    I rang verizon and told them while abroad i didnt want to use there sims and they unlocked it straight away over the phone no hassles or anything

Mick
    03-13-08 09:37 PM
698 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD