02-08-15 11:57 AM
698 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    After giving up reading all 19 pages I still have a question for the hackers out there and I believe this question hasn't been asked.

Are "we" sure that an "unlocked" 8830 doesn't do the North American GSM frequencies ?

For example, Intel makes processors and then markets/sells them at different speeds for different markets/price points- but they are manufactured exactly the same.

RIM has the 8800 line of phones and on their site it specifies the 8830 does NOT do North American GSM frequencies.

However, could the chipset/hardware actually do these frequencies but are programmed NOT to work?

I guess one would have to determine the chipset used and the RF hardware used in the phone and then be able to write some code to flip a bit somewhere...

Has anyone thought about this ?

Thanks.
    12-25-07 10:33 PM
    After giving up reading all 19 pages I still have a question for the hackers out there and I believe this question hasn't been asked.

Are "we" sure that an "unlocked" 8830 doesn't do the North American GSM frequencies ?

For example, Intel makes processors and then markets/sells them at different speeds for different markets/price points- but they are manufactured exactly the same.

RIM has the 8800 line of phones and on their site it specifies the 8830 does NOT do North American GSM frequencies.

However, could the chipset/hardware actually do these frequencies but are programmed NOT to work?

I guess one would have to determine the chipset used and the RF hardware used in the phone and then be able to write some code to flip a bit somewhere...

Has anyone thought about this ?

Thanks.
    LMAO Lets see the list of hack wishes for BB devices:
    Real theme/home screen customization.
    Real access to use the memory card for other than multimedia storage.
    Enough open code to allow a real third party software market to develop.
    And now the ability to modify the radio frequencies.

Lets face it Windows Mobile is hacked all to pieces but I'll bet you won't find anybody modifying the radio frequencies via a software hack.
    12-26-07 10:20 PM
    Congrats on getting your BB unlocked. I would not waste energy trying to persuade someone that may not agree with you. As long as your phone is working, that's what really matters
    12-26-07 10:42 PM
    Hey all, I'm a new user on this forum, I'm debaiting on whether or not to get the 8830. When buying the 8830, do i have to get the $30 email plan? and also, i spoke with a verizon manager and he said it cannot be unlocked, but i've read here that i can so should i go ahead and buy the phone and just get it unlocked by the way you guys have instructed on here? please let me know soon, I leave out of the country on the 4th of Jan
    12-28-07 07:17 PM
    Can I Get Some Unlock Code & Instructions???

I Called Verizon They Gave Me A # For Global Support Which Was No Help What So Ever..
    12-30-07 12:27 AM
    Theres not a generic unlock code. Call them back and tell them you want to unlock the GSM side of the phone to use other sim cards overseas. I unlocked 3 in 1 day. All I had to do was prove I was on the account, have phone in hand, and listen to a sermon. I talked to 2 different people, the first was very friendly and didn't bother me, the 2nd was kind of rude and she is the one who gave me a sermon. She did unlock the phone though. You may want to call into the main support number and talk to tech support, thats what I did the first time. After verifying my account she then passed me onto the Global support team and Globe support had no problems giving me the instrcutions. The second time I called to unlock the 3rd phone I called right into Global and she was kinda rude and the one who gave me a sermon. Be firm and tell them you want it unlocked for overseas travel and keep repeating it. They'll eventually unlock it.
    If at first you don't succeed call back and hope for someone else!!!!
    12-30-07 12:45 AM
    yeah ok, so you inserted a t mo sim card into an 8830 doesnt mean the 8830 is using the gsm in america...i wanna be able to call people and have the bills be separate! dam vz
    12-30-07 01:03 AM
    Can I Get Some Unlock Code & Instructions???

I Called Verizon They Gave Me A # For Global Support Which Was No Help What So Ever..
    Try to call 1800 711 8300 they will ask you for the basic information and pretty much hand you the codes now since their policy has changed within the past month
    12-30-07 01:06 AM
    Yea Noted.. But The Main Global Support Center Not Open Till 6am I Do Plann On Calling All Day Tomorrow & If All Fails Tell Them I Will Cancel My Contract Since Im Still With In There 30days..
    12-30-07 01:06 AM
    after talking to the rep. for 20 min i was fax a form.

@ www.itsrubbish.org/landon/SIM...20consumer.doc

& then she advice i have to go into verizon store & obtain a sim card before i can start the unlocking process..

is this true???

can i do it any other way with out going into a vz store ???
    12-30-07 12:12 PM
    You can get it unlocked over the phone. Just call the number, give them the reference code mentioned in the first few pages, and they will unlock it. You might have to be forwarded to different departments, as most of the reps are clueless.
    12-30-07 01:11 PM
    Try to call 1800 711 8300 they will ask you for the basic information and pretty much hand you the codes now since their policy has changed within the past month

Last night I went to a local Verizon store to get their SIM card installed. Today I called the Verizon Support # above with phone menu option 3.

This was a simple painless process that they walked me through to unlock the GSM SIM. Very polite... No questions asked...

12-31-07 05:11 PM
    Last night I went to a local Verizon store to get their SIM card installed. Today I called the Verizon Support # above with phone menu option 3.

This was a simple painless process that they walked me through to unlock the GSM SIM. Very polite... No questions asked...

Hey guys, I also called global support their tech department, in which I was praying not to get hassled which wasn't the case at all, I explained exactly what I wanted done with my phone in hand ready to go, their were no questions asked and it was a very quick process. A brand new year with my unlocked bb 8830 it's just GRAND! Thank you guys!
    01-03-08 03:19 PM
    I called VZW Global Support today to unlock the phone and she told me that if I downloaded the newest OS (the one released in Nov) then the phone would be unlocked. This sounds strange. I am going to download thr new OS but I'm doubting it will be unlocked

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-08 04:56 PM
    You can get it unlocked over the phone. Just call the number, give them the reference code mentioned in the first few pages, and they will unlock it. You might have to be forwarded to different departments, as most of the reps are clueless.
    What reference code are you referring to in the first few pages? And what are some of the questions they will be asking? I just want to make sure I'm well prepared for this battle (which it shouldn't be). I've read through most of the pages on this particular forum, but I need a recap, if possible.
    01-07-08 02:23 PM
    I called VZW Global Support today to unlock the phone and she told me that if I downloaded the newest OS (the one released in Nov) then the phone would be unlocked. This sounds strange. I am going to download thr new OS but I'm doubting it will be unlocked

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Download the new OS which will give you some new features, but that will not unlock your phone. Try to call 1800 711 8300 they will ask you for the basic information and pretty much hand you the codes now since their policy has changed within the past month.
    01-09-08 12:49 AM
    I have noted the hassles experienced by many on this and other forums. It does appear that Verizon have shifted their stance on unlocking. Prior to buying 2 new 8830s, I was reassured by our local Vzn rep that the phones can be unlocked after purchase. Within 10 days of playing around on my first ever BB, I called the rep, and was told to obtain a Global SIM (free of charge) from Verizon customer service. This was sent by Fedex (no charge to me), and with this in hand I also called 800-711-8300. Within a few minutes I had unlocked 2 BBs using the same Verizon Global SIM. There were no forms, faxes, global contracts etc.

I had simply mentioned to the tech support guy that I was going to Europe in a few weeks, and needed the phones unlocked, so that I could use my local SIMS there.

The unlock code is unique for each BB.
    01-11-08 06:13 PM
    Well, I HOPE that I just UNlocked mine (as a just in case the Euro plunges and I can afford to get to Europe again). The "lass" from either Ireland or Scotland but US-based was incredibly pleasant. Led me through the Disconnect, Unlock, On/off, Connect steps and is going to FAX me the waiver form as an after-thought.

Thanks for this very lengthy discussion.

PS - now if someone could tell me how to use the 8830 with my Tomtom 920 for TomTom's traffic/data services I would be very happy. This is NOT the internal 8830 gps, by the way.
    01-13-08 02:09 PM
    How do we send messages using PIN?
    01-15-08 10:05 AM
    OK I am on Verizon with an 8830 what does unlocking do to the phone if I am not planning on leaving the usa anytime soon? Does it turn on the gps? so maps work? thanks for any thoughts on this.
    01-19-08 11:20 PM
    Unfortunately, from what I understand, NO, it does not help with the gps. It allows "foreign" sim cards to be used in the unit, thereby, presumably lowering the cost of calls when you are overseas.

I guess, when you "knowingly" sign up with Verizon, you are "informed" that if you want gps, you need to use their proprietary system. BUNK!
    01-20-08 12:24 AM
    Verizon told me that you have to have a sim in the phone in order to unlock it. Is this true?
    01-21-08 08:22 PM
    Well, I read this thread and I decided to call VZW to unlock my BB. Called (800) 711-8300 to start the process. The guy verified my account and stated that he had to fax over some information for me to read (not sign). Got the document and he walked me thru the process of unlocking the phone. Very simple and no hassle. I guess I lucked out. Does anyone know if it is worth me removing the Global part of my plan? Guy stated I may have to switch SIM cards not to go to the Domestic Data Plan?
    01-21-08 09:47 PM
    Well, I read this thread and I decided to call VZW to unlock my BB. Called (800) 711-8300 to start the process. The guy verified my account and stated that he had to fax over some information for me to read (not sign). Got the document and he walked me thru the process of unlocking the phone. Very simple and no hassle. I guess I lucked out. Does anyone know if it is worth me removing the Global part of my plan? Guy stated I may have to switch SIM cards not to go to the Domestic Data Plan?
    So did you have to have a sim card in order to unlock it?
    01-21-08 10:24 PM
    So did you have to have a sim card in order to unlock it?
    Yes Chris, I did have the Verizon SIM card in to complete this. The guy did state that you have to have a SIM card in the slot to complete the unlocking. I don't know whether or not that is true, but he seemed pretty on point with his information.
    01-21-08 10:31 PM
698 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD