02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    This is my 3rd verizon 8830, and am now trying to get it unlocked. My first one I had no trouble with back in July. Now, I just called tech support and they told me I MUST buy a verizon SIM to get the code. I told them they were wrong and trying to take money from me when I had it done for FREE back in July. I'm so frustrated with VZW! Those F*****S! Does anybody have any advice for me when I call them back again trying to do the same thing?

P.S. I STILL don't have a SIM (even though I say I do), and I didn't buy their crappy Global support (which I will NEVER do)
    11-01-07 10:25 AM
    This is my 3rd verizon 8830, and am now trying to get it unlocked. My first one I had no trouble with back in July. Now, I just called tech support and they told me I MUST buy a verizon SIM to get the code. I told them they were wrong and trying to take money from me when I had it done for FREE back in July. I'm so frustrated with VZW! Those F*****S! Does anybody have any advice for me when I call them back again trying to do the same thing?

P.S. I STILL don't have a SIM (even though I say I do), and I didn't buy their crappy Global support (which I will NEVER do)
    Ask for a manager or someone who knows what they are doing. I just got a replacement BB cause my other one was acting stupid and I had no issues. Well actually I take that back, I got someone who was saying it cant be done but politely explained that it can be and has been done already. Once I did that he got me over to global support and I was done in 3 mins since they already had my new IMEI number in the system from when I registered the phone online.
    11-01-07 11:03 AM
    Wow. I just called back and spoke to a much better rep. I described I had this done for my past 8830 and he said that the authentication code remains the same, no matter the phone, for the same phone #. I'll try that once i get my SIM card say in like 2 years. Thanks a bunch blondeboyl!
    11-01-07 11:10 AM
    I had that done to my replacement 8830 last week as well - a transfer to Global Support ensured the new device was unlocked using my existing SIM.
    By the way - the unlock code does NOT remain the same - it changes with a device change, regardless of the same phone number or same SIM card.
    11-01-07 01:24 PM
    My experience was a little frustrating - called Global Phone Support yesterday (ultimately the # is 800-711-8300), and they said I needed a Verizon Global SIM. My 8830 didn't come with one (not sure if it should have anyway), so they said I should go to the nearest Verizon store and get one, and then call back.

So, I go to the store and they are basically clueless. Bottom line, they did end up selling me the SIM (and not the Global Pack, whatever that was), but I had to pay $40 less a discount I get. This irritated me, but the guy wasn't even going to sell it to me without the $65/month international plan, so I got tired of arguing and just paid for it. He was convinced they wouldn't unlock the phone for me anyway, and said they weren't supposed to sell the cards without the plan. Whatever...

So, I call this morning and whaddya know, it worked just fine. Inserted the SIM, called Tech Support and the nice lady on the phone walked me through unlocking. Basically it's like others have described:
    1) insert SIM
    2) go to SIM Card menu under Options -> Advanced Options
    3) enter MEPD
    4) enter MEP2, then enter the 8 digit code provided - BINGO, phone unlocked!

We'll see if it works when I go to the UK in a couple of weeks...
    Last edited by hartmri; 11-02-07 at 11:14 AM.
    11-02-07 09:12 AM
    Sent an e-mail complaining about the crippled GPS and locked SIM and told them I will go to Sprint (and I just may, thigns like tethering charge and crippled equipment started to annoy me). A very polite and quick response was that they are sorry, can not do anything, but I may call to the global support for unlocking asistance.

That may be enough to keep me as a customer - if I really need GPS on Google maps, I can buy a 54 channel high-sensitivity GPS bluetooth puck for $75. And I have my hiking Garmin. But $2/min Vodafone roaming in Europe was a 100% no-go for me.

I will call and hopefully it is unlocked before my next trip.

Like the device so far, and as awful a lock-in nazy Verizon is, at least they have a semblance of a a customer service.

But those T-mobile deals are really good right now.... Hm. 20 more days until 30 day is up.
    11-04-07 09:26 PM
    hi, what u did for unlock the phone, what code put on it and how, i need to unlock mine, help me please....
    11-07-07 12:48 PM
    1st off I want to thank everyone who has posted helpful information in this forum. i am a rookie in the BB world and in this forum and i am learning A LOT!!! so thank you!

so i called Global Support yesterday and told them everything i have read in the forums in the past few weeks. i explained that i should b able to get my phone unlocked and the rep kept saying he cant do anything until i buy a VZW sim card. if i call again and speak to a manager, will the manager say the same thing or should i b able to get it unlocked without buying a VZW sim.

thank you in advance.
    11-07-07 01:14 PM
    1st off I want to thank everyone who has posted helpful information in this forum. i am a rookie in the BB world and in this forum and i am learning A LOT!!! so thank you!

so i called Global Support yesterday and told them everything i have read in the forums in the past few weeks. i explained that i should b able to get my phone unlocked and the rep kept saying he cant do anything until i buy a VZW sim card. if i call again and speak to a manager, will the manager say the same thing or should i b able to get it unlocked without buying a VZW sim.

thank you in advance.
    Thats BS. You DO NOT need a VZW sim card. Anyone who tells you that is clueless and we have gone through this before. If you get someone trying to push one on you hang up and call 611 and have them transfer you to the global support based in NC.
    11-09-07 08:07 AM
    hi, what u did for unlock the phone, what code put on it and how, i need to unlock mine, help me please....
    You have to call verizon and get the code. Everones code is different so one code will not work for another phone.
    11-09-07 08:08 AM
    I unlocked my VZW 8830 a couple days after the 4.2.2.148 software was released...the release notes mention the ability to unlock the 8830.
    Yesterday, I reverted back to the earlier 4.2.2.66 software to resolve some network issues.
    I wonder if my 8830 is still unlocked...seems like it should be, after the initial unlocking, regardless of software version...
    11-09-07 09:02 AM
    what's the mep network code you used to unlock the phone?
    11-09-07 10:11 AM
    what's the mep network code you used to unlock the phone?
    Dude, ive said this MANY times before... You have to get yours from vzw. We can give you our codes but if you enter a code that does not work more than 10 times you permanently lock (and possibly disable) your phone. Look carefully in there it says you get only 10 tries. Save your self some trouble...and call vzw to get your code.
    11-09-07 01:24 PM
    cell55 your Telus 8830 is factory unlocked.
    11-09-07 01:46 PM
    Maybe this will help. I just spoke with Research In Motion (RIM) Blackberry's operating technical support. They sent me the wrong warrantied replacement phone by accident. The phone was locked to Cingular's network. RIM said if you have an active BlackBerry account to have your carrier verify your BlackBerry Service with the network carrier the phone is locked to. They should allow the phone to be unlocked upon verification of your account. I'm taking mine to SunCom tomorrow to have them verify my service. I will have them to contact Cingular to unlock the phone.

Note: They did say if you are a new customer with BlackBerry you may be S.O.L. , but it's worth a try.

I have a 8830 and a 8700g.
    Last edited by Wingman; 11-12-07 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Better explaination
    11-12-07 06:41 PM
    Alright...So I apologize as I'm sure its been said here clearly, I just don't want to pick through 19 pages to find it. I am going to unlock my 8830, but I do not have the Verizon SIM nor do I have plans to purchase one as I'm told there is no way whatsoever by the rep that he will sell it to me without the international plan. It seems in the few pages I have read you can unlock the phone without the SIM card for Verizon. I just called and the rep wanted the serial number of the SIM before he'd give me the code to unlock. I highly doubt that you actually need the card, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything of this. I refuse to pay $40 for something that wont even be used through Verizon tech support. So anyone done it without one....or if I were to put in, say, a Cingular SIM, would that allow me to get away with it? Again, Verizon isnt getting a cent out of me for their d*** SIM card
    11-16-07 02:39 PM
    Is the implication here that one would be able to consolidate a VZN and T-mobile phone into one device?

- one ring to rule them all?
    11-19-07 05:13 PM
    Alright...So I apologize as I'm sure its been said here clearly, I just don't want to pick through 19 pages to find it. I am going to unlock my 8830, but I do not have the Verizon SIM nor do I have plans to purchase one as I'm told there is no way whatsoever by the rep that he will sell it to me without the international plan. It seems in the few pages I have read you can unlock the phone without the SIM card for Verizon. I just called and the rep wanted the serial number of the SIM before he'd give me the code to unlock. I highly doubt that you actually need the card, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything of this. I refuse to pay $40 for something that wont even be used through Verizon tech support. So anyone done it without one....or if I were to put in, say, a Cingular SIM, would that allow me to get away with it? Again, Verizon isnt getting a cent out of me for their d*** SIM card
    It has been awhile ago but they gave me my SIM card for free if I agreed to subscribe to their global service. I have read others post the same thing. For me I just canceled the global service a couple of days after I got the phone with no problems.
    11-19-07 05:43 PM
    Not sure if anyone already mentioned this but, if you unlock your blackberry with verizon's assistance, you sign a waiver stating that your devices warranty is nullified.

This does not however effect the phone insurance through verizon.

just my .02 cents.
    11-22-07 05:13 PM
    I am planning a trip to Spain in June. I will be there for 14 days and will need to stay up to date on my work email and calling home to check on my now 9 month old son. So I have been reading some of the posts in the thread, will I have full capabilities of my phone and will I rack up a high bill using my phone since it is not unlocked? I am a newbie and I dont know all of the capabilities of the Blackberry yet.
    11-24-07 06:12 PM
    Hi folks, newbie here on the boards... I currently have AT&T and am considering moving over to Sprint. Now, there has been some major lawsuit against them AND T-Mobile over locked phones and the people have won. Here in CA, as of Jan 1st, they HAVE to offer people the unlocked codes but I think it's after 3 months of being with the service.
    12-19-07 04:31 PM
    i unlocked my 8830, but recently got a replacement berry through insurance. is my berry still unlocked or do i have to go through the whole process again because its a new one?

thanks
    12-21-07 12:40 PM
    Thanks it worked but took two calls to global support. The first person was nice but she was unaware that you could just enter MEP2 in the sim screen to bring up the screen to enter your MEP code. She told me I would need a Verizon supplied sim. The second time I called back I told her I was already in the screen to enter the MEP code so she just gave me the code and it worked
    BTW I used an old Cingular SIM, it worked and read the SIM's phone number but obviously doesn't work here in the US
    Last edited by kennyrosen; 12-24-07 at 01:21 PM.
    12-24-07 01:19 PM
    i unlocked my 8830, but recently got a replacement berry through insurance. is my berry still unlocked or do i have to go through the whole process again because its a new one?

thanks
    You will have to unlock your new phone.
    12-24-07 01:19 PM
    lol, gitterdunn....its always doable, as it also is with cdma tech....ya just gotta get someone who cares enough to help
    12-24-07 01:55 PM
698 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD