02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    yes i have been a customer over 3 years.
    and yes was a full retail version. with $100 mail in rebate. but he never mentioned anything about using a card on it, which at that time I didn't know either till i came on here.
    10-11-07 10:21 PM
    Another reply from Verizon... any other suggestions...... I told them that I have paid full retail for the phone and have a receipt to prove it......

Thank you for your reply. My name is Jameelah and I am happy to assist you the procedure to unlock your BlackBerry 8830 World Edition phone. I apologize for all the inconveniences you have experienced thus far.

We were not given the unlock codes for the BlackBerry 8830 device until recently because we were waiting the unlock codes from the manufacturer, Research In Motion. We have recently received these unlock codes from Research In Motion and there is a new procedure in place in order for you to unlock your BlackBerry 8830. I have provided the following information about why the global phones are locked initially as well as the unlocking procedures. Please read this information in its entirety.

Verizon Wireless restricts the SIM card readers on our global phones to recognize only Verizon Wireless SIM cards since we offer a discounted price on the global equipment contingent of a new service agreement. This is done to avoid confusion that can arise from billing and service changes that will occur if another carrier?s SIM is inserted in the phone.

We also offer the ability to unlock our global phone?s SIM card readers so that our global phone customers can use any international service provider?s SIM card with the device. However, to unlock your Verizon Wireless global phone, you must have either:

1) Paid full retail price for the global equipment or
    2) Have fulfilled your service agreement with Verizon Wireless for the promotional price of the equipment or be in good payment standings for at least 60 days.

Due to recent changes for the procedures for unlocking our global phones, you can now call Global Services and a global services coordinator will be able to assist you in unlocking your phone. I have attached our terms and conditions for SIM unlock release. You no longer are required to sign and fax this waiver back to us. You must already have a SIM card (it does not have to be a Verizon Wireless Global SIM card) to put into the device in order for us to unlock your device. You can reach them at 1-800-711-8300 from a landline phone between the hours of 8am - 7pm Eastern Standard Time. You can call our Global Technical Support at 1-908-559-4899 24 hours a day, seven days a week for assistance as well. Please have your device with you fully charged when you call.

I hope the information I have provided has been helpful and that I have addressed all of your concerns. I strive to provide to all of my customers 100% quality customer service! If you have any further questions on Verizon Wireless' products and services, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Jameelah
    Verizon Wireless
    Global Services
    10-12-07 09:32 PM
    sorry double post.
    10-12-07 09:34 PM
    Also they included this new service SIM card agreement.

Important Information Regarding Use of Non-Global Phone
    Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) Cards in Verizon Wireless Global Phones

Your Verizon Wireless Global Phone is equipped with a compatible Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) Card (the Global Phone SIM Card) for use when roaming in GSM Mode within the then-current Global Phone Service Area (GPSA), as published on Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless. When traveling internationally outside of the GPSA, You may use the Global Phones in CDMA Mode throughout Verizon Wireless international roaming service area, subject to applicable rates, terms and conditions. A current list of countries where international roaming service is available is accessible at Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless.

To obtain voice/data service outside of the GPSA using a Global Phone in GSM Mode, Your Global Phone must first be unlocked by entering a numerical code (Unlock Code) into the phone (see Your phone manufacturers user guide for instructions). Once unlocked, You may insert another wireless carriers SIM Card (Other SIM Card) into the Global Phone to obtain service from that carrier. Each Global Phone has a unique Unlock Code. Unlock Codes are available upon request from Verizon Wireless subject to the following terms and conditions:

1. You agree that Global Phone rates do not apply to any service obtained through the use of Other SIM Cards, and that Verizon Wireless is not responsible for, and has no information about, such service.

2. YOU AGREE THAT ANY AND ALL USE OF OTHER SIM CARDS IN THE GLOBAL PHONE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND EXPENSE AND IS SUBJECT TO THE RATES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE APPLICABLE WIRELESS CARRIER.

3. You agree that, to the extent applicable when using Other SIM Cards, Your use of the Global Phone remains subject to Your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement, Calling Plan and Global Phone terms and conditions, including without limitation, the requirement to abide by all applicable foreign laws when using the Global Phone outside of the United States.

4. You agree that these Terms and Conditions become part of your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement and Calling Plan.
    10-12-07 09:40 PM
    Another reply from Verizon... any other suggestions...... I told them that I have paid full retail for the phone and have a receipt to prove it......

Thank you for your reply. My name is Jameelah and I am happy to assist you the procedure to unlock your BlackBerry 8830 World Edition phone. I apologize for all the inconveniences you have experienced thus far.

We were not given the unlock codes for the BlackBerry 8830 device until recently because we were waiting the unlock codes from the manufacturer, Research In Motion. We have recently received these unlock codes from Research In Motion and there is a new procedure in place in order for you to unlock your BlackBerry 8830. I have provided the following information about why the global phones are locked initially as well as the unlocking procedures. Please read this information in its entirety.

Verizon Wireless restricts the SIM card readers on our global phones to recognize only Verizon Wireless SIM cards since we offer a discounted price on the global equipment contingent of a new service agreement. This is done to avoid confusion that can arise from billing and service changes that will occur if another carrier?s SIM is inserted in the phone.

We also offer the ability to unlock our global phone?s SIM card readers so that our global phone customers can use any international service provider?s SIM card with the device. However, to unlock your Verizon Wireless global phone, you must have either:

1) Paid full retail price for the global equipment or
    2) Have fulfilled your service agreement with Verizon Wireless for the promotional price of the equipment or be in good payment standings for at least 60 days.

Due to recent changes for the procedures for unlocking our global phones, you can now call Global Services and a global services coordinator will be able to assist you in unlocking your phone. I have attached our terms and conditions for SIM unlock release. You no longer are required to sign and fax this waiver back to us. You must already have a SIM card (it does not have to be a Verizon Wireless Global SIM card) to put into the device in order for us to unlock your device. You can reach them at 1-800-711-8300 from a landline phone between the hours of 8am - 7pm Eastern Standard Time. You can call our Global Technical Support at 1-908-559-4899 24 hours a day, seven days a week for assistance as well. Please have your device with you fully charged when you call.

I hope the information I have provided has been helpful and that I have addressed all of your concerns. I strive to provide to all of my customers 100% quality customer service! If you have any further questions on Verizon Wireless' products and services, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Jameelah
    Verizon Wireless
    Global Services
    10-12-07 09:46 PM
    Hey there...
    u guys to an extent solved my problem after readin all the msgs i contacted verizon and they gave me the unlock code for blackberry 8830 and procedure immediately.

Now the problem is i do not have a active account with verizon is there still someway i can unlock the phone. the guys in verizon say i need an active account in order for me to unlock the phone and be able to use it with a different carrier.

can i put in any other sim card and unlock the phone or i have to reactivate a new account use the sim card unlock the phone and then cancel the contract again ....

please advise ....
    10-15-07 07:38 AM
    Does anyone have any realtime experience with using a third party sim card? I am going to India. Would I get a sim card in India to use while there that is on a network in India? Just got this phone so I am just not really sure. Thanks
    10-17-07 06:33 PM
    So, if I purchase an unlocked Verizon 8830, can I use it with my AT&T sim card inside the US?

Also, if it does work with my AT&T sim card inside the US, does anyone have an idea if I can use the 8830 when I go to Japan?

Many thanks in advance!
    10-17-07 06:54 PM
    Well instead of begging verizon to give me codes and forms can you release this very desired information? Maybe not for free, but would you mind helping a desprite and frustrated verizon customer out please!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-07 01:14 AM
    I didn't have to beg. here is what I did to unlock my phone:

E mailed Verizon customer service. They sent me an e mail back with a number to call to unlock my phone.

The e mail said i had to buy a sim card. I got one from verizon for $40.

I called the number given (not from my cell). They unlocked it for me.

Here is the steps they took me through:

1.Turn off all connections
    2.Go to Options>Advanced options
    3.Type the following (even though it will not show up) "MEPD"
    4.Type "MEP2"

She then gave me a code that only works on my phone/sim.

I returned the verizon sim card (you can return it no questions within 30 days

I am not waiting for some news on the GPS front and i will be a happy man
    10-18-07 10:39 AM
    So, if I purchase an unlocked Verizon 8830, can I use it with my AT&T sim card inside the US?

Also, if it does work with my AT&T sim card inside the US, does anyone have an idea if I can use the 8830 when I go to Japan?

Many thanks in advance!

not not in the US.

Japan yes, if you also have the global plan added.
    10-18-07 11:28 AM
    Hey there...
    u guys to an extent solved my problem after readin all the msgs i contacted verizon and they gave me the unlock code for blackberry 8830 and procedure immediately.

Now the problem is i do not have a active account with verizon is there still someway i can unlock the phone. the guys in verizon say i need an active account in order for me to unlock the phone and be able to use it with a different carrier.

can i put in any other sim card and unlock the phone or i have to reactivate a new account use the sim card unlock the phone and then cancel the contract again ....

please advise ....
    How can verizon give you a unlock code if you are not with them.....
    10-18-07 11:30 AM
    Does anyone have any realtime experience with using a third party sim card? I am going to India. Would I get a sim card in India to use while there that is on a network in India? Just got this phone so I am just not really sure. Thanks
    I use gosim (International SIM Cards from GOSIM - cheap mobile calls from abroad) for my international sim but because india has slightly higher rates you may want to look into a local sim card for india from telestial (International Cell Phones, World Phones, SIM Cards, Satellite Phones)
    10-21-07 05:38 AM
    Oka, ready for a dumb question from a newbie? What is the significance of unlocking it?
    10-25-07 08:25 PM
    Oka, ready for a dumb question from a newbie? What is the significance of unlocking it?
    Short answer... It allows you to use a local sim in a foreign country so you dont have to pay 1.29 a minute when roaming overseas. When you use a local sim your rates are as low as .10 cents a minute.
    10-26-07 02:31 PM
    I have read all postings n congrats to those who have successfully unlocked their BB 8830's.....am also having a same prob, i mean am from Pakistan n i have received a BB 8830 from US.... amnot able to have BB 8830 work on GSM (SIM) even though we have 900/1800 MGhz frequencies here in pakistan, major local service provider is (Mobilink).
    Plz help me out how to get this prob fixed, as i cannot contact with verizon here from pakistan.
    waiting for replies.............
    thanx
    Last edited by Sajeels; 10-30-07 at 05:40 PM.
    10-30-07 05:38 PM
    So I'm very unfamiliar with the technology that enables my 8830 to have GSM and CDMA. Unlocking the phone is not a problem, as I know how to force Verizon to give me the codes, but if I do so, will this allow me to run, say, Cingular from my phone? I travel out of the country a few times a year, and where I go, I know I can run a Cingular prepaid card. Would unlocking my phone allow this to happen? Furthermore, is there a chance that it would allow me to run it within the United States? I saw the video posted by another user showing his 8830 accepting a T-Mo card and recognizing it. That would honestly be amazing if I could domestically, as when I travel between the town I live in for school and back home, I briefly lose my Verizon signal, but my friend's Cingular and sometime T-Mo still have signal
    10-30-07 07:35 PM
    So I'm very unfamiliar with the technology that enables my 8830 to have GSM and CDMA. Unlocking the phone is not a problem, as I know how to force Verizon to give me the codes, but if I do so, will this allow me to run, say, Cingular from my phone? I travel out of the country a few times a year, and where I go, I know I can run a Cingular prepaid card. Would unlocking my phone allow this to happen? Furthermore, is there a chance that it would allow me to run it within the United States? I saw the video posted by another user showing his 8830 accepting a T-Mo card and recognizing it. That would honestly be amazing if I could domestically, as when I travel between the town I live in for school and back home, I briefly lose my Verizon signal, but my friend's Cingular and sometime T-Mo still have signal
    I think you misunderstood my video... But first let me address all your problems in order.

1.) If you unlock your phone, yes you can put a cingular card in there and use it OVERSEAS ONLY. The 8830 does not have domestic frequencies for the us, it only has the international frequencies. Nothing you do will make the GSM portion work here in the states period.

2.) I used a tmobile card to unlock my phone and it READS the card but nothing more. That video was to show that the phone was indeed unlocked because if its locked it says "Invalid Sim" across the top. The phone will not receive any T-Mobile calls here in the states because out phones can not see the t-mobile or ATT networks here in the states.

Just to break it down further for you...

US. GSM Frequencies operate on 850 / 1900 Mhz
    Global GSM Frequencies operate on 900 / 1800 Mhz
    The two are not compatible.

3.) If you are in an area where T-Mobile and ATT have signal and you don't, update your PRL by dialing *228 and selecting option 2, or just dial *22899 and wait for it to finish. If that does not work, call VZW (when you get a few bars) and let them know where it was they did not have coverage and I am willing to bet they will get some coverage over there ASAP. Very seldom will VZW not have signal somewhere a competitor has coverage and not do anything about it.
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 10-31-07 at 07:52 AM.
    10-31-07 07:49 AM
    I have a black berry 8830 which shows invalid sim card that means it is locked, how can i get this **** unlocked........plz reply...either it would be through installing new software or paying different sites for the codes?
    10-31-07 11:44 AM
    I have a black berry 8830 which shows invalid sim card that means it is locked, how can i get this **** unlocked........plz reply...either it would be through installing new software or paying different sites for the codes?

***Sigh***

Go read the first few pages of this thread...
    10-31-07 11:52 AM
    I have seen several sites beginning to unlock the GSM portion of the Verizon Blackberry 8830. Unfortunately they are charging from $75-95. Verizon would rather have you pay these unknown third parties to get what you should have stock rather than just give you an unlocked phone.

As someone who works in this industry, I can assure you that Verizon is absolutely the worst operator of all with regard to enjoying your phone for anything other than talking. They will lock, strip, remove, disable any access you can that your phone is built for so that you will be forced to use their services at a high premium. I am trying to get my work to give me special permission to use another service for my new Blackberry.

As of right now there is no plan for Verizon to unlock their phone and I hope Sprint sticks it to Verizon something awful when they release their version of this phone... unlocked. After almost 10 years with Verizon, I'll be moving everything I can off of their services.

Can you hear me now?
    i worked for verizon, and must say they are the soupnazis of the carrier service.
    10-31-07 10:33 PM
    I didn't have to beg. here is what I did to unlock my phone:

E mailed Verizon customer service. They sent me an e mail back with a number to call to unlock my phone.

The e mail said i had to buy a sim card. I got one from verizon for $40.

I called the number given (not from my cell). They unlocked it for me.

Here is the steps they took me through:

4.Type "MEP2"

She then gave me a code that only works on my phone/sim.

I returned the verizon sim card (you can return it no questions within 30 days

I am not waiting for some news on the GPS front and i will be a happy man
    Once unlocked with a Verizon SIM card, can you use foreign cards freely?
    10-31-07 11:52 PM
    Once unlocked with a Verizon SIM card, can you use foreign cards freely?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/883...ad-first-3308/
    11-01-07 05:29 AM
    PLz tell me the right way to get it fixed i need more precise solution to getrid of invalid sim card message
    11-01-07 07:07 AM
    PLz tell me the right way to get it fixed i need more precise solution to getrid of invalid sim card message
    Dude we have discussed it several times in this thread. You just have to read back some.

you know what.. its almost friday so im not going to be a ****...

Call verizon global support... tell them you want your phone unlocked.... give them your IMEI.... Get your code. Once you haev your code do the following...

4.Type "MEP2"
    5.) Enter your code when it asks for it
    6.) Boom your done!

By the way DO NOT mess up the code more than 10x. If you do your phone will be permanently locked... If it does not work the first time double check the code from Verizon and make sure thet gave you the right one.
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 11-01-07 at 09:18 AM.
    11-01-07 09:14 AM
698 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD