How can I get my Verizon Tour 9630 completely working on Bell Canada's CDMA network?

A lot of people say CDMA phones can't be unlocked, but there's gotta be a way it can be done... I'm halfway there... I got the Verizon Tour reprogrammed so it will work as a phone on Bell's CDMA network (using the SPC programming code to change the MDN & IMSI_S on the phone's CDMA Service Edit Screen); however, none of the data functions work

I have heard I need to get my Carrier to program the ESN or something into their system? or maybe flash the phone? What do I flash it with and how? I've searched all over and can't seem to find anything for the Tour 9630

I didn't research the difficulties of unlocking a CDMA phone before I purchased this Verizon Tour from someone on Crackberry. I just assumed "unlocked" meant it would work anywhere....

I want to use this Tour on CDMA while at home in Canada, then switch over to GSM using my no contract T-mobile sim card for when I travel into the US for cheaper data, calling & texting then my home carrier (Bell) offers when roaming.

I found this thread for how to get a Verizon Tour working on T-Mobile which will help me when I am traveling in the US on my tmo SIM http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=374181
    Do I need to do something similar with service books for CDMA? Would I need to swap the service books from Bell to tmobile when I switch back & forth?
    05-06-10 05:43 AM
    Drive to waterloo and ask rim to do it.

You're going through a lot off issues for a discontinued phone.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 08:10 AM
    How can I get my Verizon Tour 9630 completely working on Bell Canada's CDMA network?

A lot of people say CDMA phones can't be unlocked, but there's gotta be a way it can be done... I'm halfway there... I got the Verizon Tour reprogrammed so it will work as a phone on Bell's CDMA network (using the SPC programming code to change the MDN & IMSI_S on the phone's CDMA Service Edit Screen); however, none of the data functions work

I have heard I need to get my Carrier to program the ESN or something into their system? or maybe flash the phone? What do I flash it with and how? I've searched all over and can't seem to find anything for the Tour 9630

I didn't research the difficulties of unlocking a CDMA phone before I purchased this Verizon Tour from someone on Crackberry. I just assumed "unlocked" meant it would work anywhere....

I want to use this Tour on CDMA while at home in Canada, then switch over to GSM using my no contract T-mobile sim card for when I travel into the US for cheaper data, calling & texting then my home carrier (Bell) offers when roaming.

I found this thread for how to get a Verizon Tour working on T-Mobile which will help me when I am traveling in the US on my tmo SIM http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=374181
    Do I need to do something similar with service books for CDMA? Would I need to swap the service books from Bell to tmobile when I switch back & forth?

As we always suggest is doing your research before even purchasing a device a particular carrier doesn't sell, which in your case you failed to do so. As far as I know no one has activated a NON-Bell CDMA Device on their network sorry. Even flashing it wouldn't help you at this point.
    05-06-10 09:37 AM
    Darn, thanks for the info... I didn't know there was a difference between GSM and CDMA unlocking so I didn't even think to look that up before I bought it. I just made sure it was unlocked...

Technically what would have to be done?

I was able to get Bell to activate it, so somehow it partially slipped through their system so that I can use it to make calls and text message, but the BIS isn't setup and no data functions are working. I'm thinking I might get lucky if I knew what else needed to be done so I can convince the techs to do it for me as it partially works already which shouldn't have been possible...

Do I need to convince the Bell tech's to add the ESN to their system? Bell seems to like me and want to help me out, so I'm thinking it could be done somehow

@fubaz, it wasn't a discontinued phone when I bought it a couple weeks ago and it is still a great phone that serves my needs very well
    Last edited by Big_Ern; 05-06-10 at 12:07 PM.
    05-06-10 12:04 PM
    A non carrier branded bb will not have bb native applications.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD