How can I get my Verizon Tour 9630 working on Bell Canada's CDMA network?

Everyone say CDMA phones can't be unlocked, but I got the Verizon Tour reprogrammed so it will work as a phone on Bell's CDMA network (using the SPC programming code to change the MDN & IMSI_S on the phone's CDMA Service Edit Screen); however, none of the data functions work

I have heard I need to get my Carrier to program the ESN or something into their system?

I didn't research the difficulties of unlocking a CDMA phone before I purchased this Verizon Tour from someone on Crackberry. I just assumed "unlocked" meant it would work anywhere....

I found this thread for how to get a Verizon Tour working on T-Mobile http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=374181
    Do I need to do something similar with service books?

I want to use this Tour on CDMA while at home in Canada, then switch over to GSM using my no contract Tmo sim card for when I travel into the US for cheaper data, calling & texting then my home carrier (Bell) offers when roaming.
    05-06-10 04:00 AM
    That thread refers to unlocking the GSM part of the Tour to work on a GSM carrier.

Bell is a CDMA carrier. CDMA devices cannot be "unlocked" in the way that GSM devices can.

Typically, CMDA carriers will not activate devices from other carriers on their network.
    05-06-10 05:53 AM
    Yes, I know that thread is for unlocking the GSM portion of the phone, and that CDMA *usually* can't be unlocked, but Bell seems to like me and is willing to try and help me get it setup on their system. I shouldn't be using it as a phone right now, but I was able to get that working with them. I'm thinking I might get lucky and slip it through into their system

Technically what would need to be done?

BTW, thanks for the help on the No Contract plans with tmobile. I got a tmo sim card and used it heavily on a road trip this past weekend. Full data didn't work (browser didn't) but email & BBM did which was good enough at the time... I probably did 150mb data which would have cost me a fortune roaming
    05-06-10 11:07 AM
    CDMA carriers decide which phones they will or will not allow to be registered on their ESN system, without this the data functions of the phone will not work on another carriers CDMA network. Verizon, Sprint and I believe Bell do not have an Open ESN Policy and will not allow phones from other networks to be registered on their networks. I am not 100% sure about Bell Canada, but I do not think they have an Open ESN Policy so it is not likely that you will be able to get the data functions to work on their network with a Verizon phone.
    05-06-10 12:11 PM
    Not to be a kill joy but your chances are slim to none. It's a miracle you even got your Verizon BB's ESN registered on Bell's network. I have friends that work for Spring and Verizon. They tell me the system will not allow them to enter another carriers ESN because it matches to a known pool of ESNs. To get an ESN entered into the system manually basically takes an act of Congress. Even if you were able to add a data package it's simply not going to work IMO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 12:48 PM
    How can I get my Verizon Tour 9630 working on Bell Canada's CDMA network?

Everyone say CDMA phones can't be unlocked, but I got the Verizon Tour reprogrammed so it will work as a phone on Bell's CDMA network (using the SPC programming code to change the MDN & IMSI_S on the phone's CDMA Service Edit Screen); however, none of the data functions work

I have heard I need to get my Carrier to program the ESN or something into their system?

I didn't research the difficulties of unlocking a CDMA phone before I purchased this Verizon Tour from someone on Crackberry. I just assumed "unlocked" meant it would work anywhere....

I found this thread for how to get a Verizon Tour working on T-Mobile http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=374181
    Do I need to do something similar with service books?

I want to use this Tour on CDMA while at home in Canada, then switch over to GSM using my no contract Tmo sim card for when I travel into the US for cheaper data, calling & texting then my home carrier (Bell) offers when roaming.

Needs to be flashed not unlocked sorry.
    05-07-10 06:51 PM
    Needs to be flashed not unlocked sorry.
    How would I flash it? or do you flash phones as part of your service?
    05-08-10 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD