I recently bought a Verizon Tour from a seller on eBay to replace my Curve. When I took the Tour into the Verizon store to make the transfer, the representative told me that the phone was locked to the previous user's account and until he signed a new contract with Verizon the Tour that I bought would be locked to his account. I was wondering if the process for "unlocking" this phone would be the same as the process for unlocking it to use it on a different network. When I bought it from him, I purposely bought the Verizon version of the Tour so I would be able to use it with my Verizon account without having to unlock it. Will it be possible for me to unlock the phone so I can use it, or does he have to sign a new contract (presumably with a new phone) in order for me to use it? Thanks!
    12-20-09 09:49 PM
    Perhaps the previous owner of your Tour has an unpaid bill with Verizon. I can't think of any other explanation, but there may be one. Verizon will have to agree to activate your phone, unlocked or not, or you won't be able to use it.
    12-20-09 10:16 PM
    I recently bought a Verizon Tour from a seller on eBay to replace my Curve. When I took the Tour into the Verizon store to make the transfer, the representative told me that the phone was locked to the previous user's account and until he signed a new contract with Verizon the Tour that I bought would be locked to his account. I was wondering if the process for "unlocking" this phone would be the same as the process for unlocking it to use it on a different network. When I bought it from him, I purposely bought the Verizon version of the Tour so I would be able to use it with my Verizon account without having to unlock it. Will it be possible for me to unlock the phone so I can use it, or does he have to sign a new contract (presumably with a new phone) in order for me to use it? Thanks!
    In your case, unlocking will not help, only if you plan on using it with TMO or ATT or any other GSM carrier, but like the OP said, maybe the person you bought the phone from has an unpaid balance on the account.
    12-20-09 11:50 PM
    It doesn't necessarily have to be the an unpaid balance at all

Other reasons for having the phone locked to the network:

1) The previous owner hasn't released it from their BIS
    2) The phone was reported as lost or stolen and the previous carrier has locked the pin/imei for use

I guess regardless of the reason, there's no way around it besides contacting the previous owner
    12-22-09 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD