I am traveling to Mexico in a week and was wondering if once the phone is unlocked what else must be done to use my bb while I'm there?

Do I need a different sim card or do I just use the one that comes in our storms, sorry just a little confused, its my first bb.
    03-20-09 06:41 PM
    Just call customer service and tell them yoru going out of the country.. and tell them u'd like to change to international service for how many ever days yout going to be there... worked great for me.
    03-20-09 07:00 PM

Once your phone is unlocked, all you have to do is get a SIM card from a carrier in whatever country you're in (in your case MX), and you're good to go. I'm not sure as to how much a SIM card will cost you there, but I've done this all over Europe and Asia and I've never paid more than $20 for one. The new SIM will come with minutes (just like a prepaid in the States.) The bonus is, however, that incoming calls do not get deducted from your minutes...and you'll have your own phone number, so no more having to check with the front desk for any messages. I have a huge collection of SIM cards from all over the world and most of the numbers are still valid because there is no time period as to when I have to refill my minutes so my friends and family already have my contact info before I hop on the plane. Hope this helped.
    03-20-09 07:13 PM
    I was in Mexico for 8 days and Verizon just put me on a international plan for 10 days...
    03-20-09 07:14 PM
    I have always found that buying a SIM in that country was always cheaper that going the International Plan route, but to each his own.
    03-20-09 07:19 PM
    Hmm how hard is it going to be finding a sim card in Mexico and if I don't go that route what do I have to physically do to my phone after its unlocked? Change any settings?
    03-20-09 07:29 PM

Once your phone is unlocked, all you have to do is get a SIM card from a carrier in whatever country you're in (in your case MX), and you're good to go. I'm not sure as to how much a SIM card will cost you there, but I've done this all over Europe and Asia and I've never paid more than $20 for one. The new SIM will come with minutes (just like a prepaid in the States.) The bonus is, however, that incoming calls do not get deducted from your minutes...and you'll have your own phone number, so no more having to check with the front desk for any messages. I have a huge collection of SIM cards from all over the world and most of the numbers are still valid because there is no time period as to when I have to refill my minutes so my friends and family already have my contact info before I hop on the plane. Hope this helped.

When you phone is unlocked does it remove the carrier software that bogs verizon phone down so much or am i crazy?
    03-20-09 07:29 PM
    Also what kind of price is the international plan
    03-20-09 07:33 PM
    dvrmstrong: you'd have to contact verizon for the prices on the intl plan. I think that there may be different prices for different countries. As for trying to find a SIM in MX, I guess it depends on where you'll be. You won't find it if at the all-inclusive, but if you venture out, you can find it in practically any store. Also there are telecom stores/stalls that specifically cater to this.
    03-20-09 09:00 PM
    Also what kind of price is the international plan
    I paid 12 more dollars then my normal plan. Once.
    03-20-09 09:03 PM
    you do not need a sim for mexico as it is CDMA
    03-20-09 09:06 PM
    When i was going to italy they had to activate the Sim on my storm? Not really sure how different it might be down in Mexico
    03-20-09 09:11 PM
    I called Verizon Global Support, they walked me through the unlocking process no problem.

I then went to South Africa and Namibia and purchased simcards in each country--each was about $4. I also purchased extra time in order to call back to the US. Each time, the clerk took the phone and set up the simcard for me. Both times this was done at the airport, no problems.

So it is very simple. The simcards do expire, in these cases, if they are not used for 90 days.

Now I did not get a data plan, but then there are lots of internet cafes and connectivity at hotels.

Good luck in Mexico
    03-20-09 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD