View Poll Results: Should this article be stickied somewhere?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 76.40%
  • No

21 23.60%
08-28-09 10:09 AM
37 12
tools
    This topic is simply to let people know what unlocking and unbranding are in an effort to reduce the amount of threads that get created regarding these two subjects. This is not the place to ask about unbranding your device since it is a taboo topic. Do not post anything about how you are on this step and now it stopped working. Nothing regarding unbranding your device should be posted here. There are other forums that will gladly talk to you about it, but Crackberry.com does not support it.

Unlocking:

Unlocking your device simply allows you to use it with any other GSM carrier in the world. It is a good way for you to not incur roaming charges since you can travel out of the country and pick up a prepaid SIM card from a local cell phone service provider and use it in your device. It does not damage your phone, disable any features or functionality and does not void the warranty. Unlocking your phone can also increase its value since it is now able to be used by someone who may not use a carrier that offers the Bold. A set of instructions for unlocking your device can be found HERE. There are some carriers, however, who do not like to give out the Subsidiary Unlock Code (such as Rogers) and you will have to pay to have someone provide you with a Subsidiary Unlock Code. There is a method to check to see if your device is unlocked or not and thank you to Garz for bringing it to our attention.

Do this:

1. Go to Options
    2. Then Advanced Options
    3. Then Sim Card
    4. Then type MEPD (may or may not have to hold shift while typing, I don't have to)
    Under network, it will say disabled if unlocked or active if locked.

Unbranding:

Unbranding, or debranding as it is some times referred to, is where you remove the carrier branding from your device. This will in fact void your warranty since you are essentially removing any and all carrier affiliation (except for the network logo) from your device. It is possible for you to "rebrand" your device with your carrier again, but it seems like it is hardly worth all of that work. One of the effects of unbranding is that it will remove the carrier splash screen that is displayed when your phone is turning on. It will also revert your device back to the factory defaults. These default settings include:

1. The RIM splash screen is typically displayed displayed, but there have been cases where it is just a white screen. You are able to apply your own customized splash screen with the right software.
    2. The engineering menu is now typically accessible by pressing Alt+Shift+H where the Help Me screen used to come up. You have the ability to see all of the sinner workings of your device and can change whatever you want, but I know that I wouldn't want to mess with anything since I have no idea what 99% of it even means or does.
    3. Several items within the menu now have more advanced details listed then they did before. GPS is one of the few items that gets changed.
    4. With an AT&T device you will gain the ability to switch between 2G, 3G and 2G + 3G within your Mobile Network options. To some this is a huge benefit because it really helps with the battery life of the phone. Some carriers, AT&T for example, limit you to just 3G.
    5. Depending on your carrier, certain applications may even become available to you as well.
    6. Some carriers do not allow the use of uploaded MP3's as ring tones because they want you to purchase ring tones from them. Unbranding your device will allow you to do so.
    7. You are able to force your phone to use the AMR-F Voice Codec for higher quality calls. Most devices will switch between AMR-F (Full-range) and AMR-H (Half-range), but typically use AMR-H (Half-range) a majority of the time.

Actually unbranding your device is not illegal, but the software that currently exists that allows you to do so is. It was leaked from someone at RIM and is a piece of pirated software. This is the reason for it being a taboo topic within the forums. For those of you looking for how to unbrand your device, try Google, because it is doubtful that anyone here will be able to help you or want to help you with it. This is not us being mean or rude, rather us respecting the wishes of the Mods as well as the morals that these boards and their users like to uphold.

Chris
    Last edited by Tronyx; 03-14-09 at 02:31 AM.
    03-13-09 02:08 PM
    Please try not to hose this thread up too much. Use the old one to continue conversations about these two topics.

Thanks,

Chris
    03-13-09 02:09 PM
    This was probably not the best idea..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 02:26 PM

Why not? I still don't know exactly what "bricking your bold" really means. This is of informative nature, not promoting or conspiring.
    03-13-09 02:45 PM

03-13-09 03:20 PM
    Why not? I still don't know exactly what "bricking your bold" really means. This is of informative nature, not promoting or conspiring.
    "bricking" is the act of turning your once-useful device into a brick.

Brick (electronics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    03-13-09 03:21 PM
    Yes I think it's an excellent idea. I won't bring up the unbranding again. LOL
    03-13-09 03:34 PM
    thanks for explaining that!
    03-13-09 03:41 PM
    Not a problem. I've been wanting to make something like this for a while.

Chris
    03-14-09 12:33 AM
    I gave you a good opportunity lol. Hopefully this one will be stickied, very informative.

03-14-09 01:26 AM
    Yes you did, thank you and I hope it gets stickied or used somewhere too.

Chris
    03-14-09 02:01 AM
    How does one get access to some of the BlackBerry goodies you host?
    03-14-09 06:35 AM
    Perhaps some of the many links in my signature? That might be a good place to start.

Chris

03-14-09 12:21 PM
    Is for no to the sticky. Only one sticky should be search tutorial. Teach your children for teach themselves the smart-making.
    03-14-09 12:27 PM
    Was that supposed to be English?

For those of you who voted "No", I'm curious as to why.

Chris
    03-15-09 03:54 PM
    Seems like a lot of people want this to die. All I want is some Moderator feedback. Perhaps even some feedback from the mighty Kevin too.

Chris
    03-15-09 04:34 PM
    7. You are able to force your phone to use the AMR-F Voice Codec for higher quality calls. Most devices will switch between AMR-F (Full-range) and AMR-H (Half-range), but typically use AMR-H (Half-range) a majority of the time.
    Once you're in the engineering menu, how do you force AMR-F only?
    Is it under UMTS codec?
    If so, which do you enable, which do you disable?

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out - Special thanks to Tronyx (Chris)
    Last edited by kittiyut; 03-15-09 at 05:36 PM.
    03-15-09 05:29 PM
    Seems like a lot of people want this to die. All I want is some Moderator feedback. Perhaps even some feedback from the mighty Kevin too.

Chris
    Try PMing one of them and see what any of them say?
    03-15-09 05:32 PM
    Once you're in the engineering menu, how do you force AMR-F only?
    Is it under UMTS codec?
    If so, which do you enable, which do you disable?

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out - Special thanks to Tronyx (Chris)
    I'm assuming you found the document on it within my server?

Chris
    03-15-09 06:19 PM
    I was trying to say that I'd like to see this stickied and locked. The first post is a great post, but the discussion that follows is really likely to cross a line or two regarding conduct. I think people who want answers to some more specific questions should have a search tutorial as a sticky post.
    03-16-09 01:39 PM
    Thanks nice thread.

03-18-09 12:08 AM
    Wow, thanks. Thought this thread died. You must have been bored, lol.

Chris
    03-18-09 12:14 AM
    Unlocking:

Do this:

1. Go to Options
    2. Then Advanced Options
    3. Then Sim Card
    4. Then type MEPD (may or may not have to hold shift while typing, I don't have to)
    Under network, it will say disabled if unlocked or active if locked.

Chris
    Thanks for the information...I just wanted to see your thoughts on this? I have a BlackBerry Storm currently using on TMO's network. However, when I view Options and Sim Card my "Network" shows "Active"

I'm not sure if the above is a 100% way to see if your phone is unlocked. I would say using another carrier's SIM on that phone is the best means to see if it's unlocked. Any thoughts or has anyone experienced this?
    04-04-09 02:38 PM
    Best way I've found. I keep a pre-paid TMO SIM card and recharge it - sometimes to use it, but always just to have it handy when someone asks if their AT&T phone is locked or unlocked.
    04-04-09 03:04 PM
    The network "active" will always display active if you have a valid SIM in your device regardless of locked or unlocked. If you take the SIM out and check it again on an unlocked phone it will say disabled. Minor mistake in the description, but no big deal.

04-04-09 03:40 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD