07-27-12 01:41 AM
347 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Well, I certainly wouldn't include rumors on an internet forum as part of my due diligence during the purchase.
    I guarantee a lot of people do jus that though, lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 04:37 PM
    I don't know if anyone's asked these yet

Why would you unbrand?
    -sake of mp3 ringers?
    -ability to switch EDGE=> 3G
    ? Can you change the splash screen to something of your choice? I know I change the bootscreen of my PC for fun
    ? What does the engineering screen actually do for us?

cool thanks
    03-13-09 06:00 PM
    So guys, I am in the process of making a type of directory listing of the Engineering Screen. My current progress is here:
    ensc.txt

Feel free to save, edit, and upload another copy. I've done so far the bare minimum. You can make use of the "Copy Screen" feature and paste it into an email to yourself or something of the sort.
    03-13-09 07:05 PM
    I stand corrected.

Bump!
    03-13-09 09:29 PM
    Tony this is a great post.

Ohh I wish I can get my hands on the so called UnBr****** s/w..
    03-14-09 12:03 PM
    It's Tronyx, not Tony. Thanks for the positive feedback. Check google for the software.

Chris

03-14-09 01:16 PM
    Great topics to being up.

03-18-09 01:42 AM
    Some1 pm`ed me the instruction and the location of the files, so if any1 wants em let me know.

Other than downloading the files it doesn`t take much time.

I started at 6:40am, finished at 6:53am, so about 10-15mins. (I didn`t have much to backup, so it could take you longer if your bold is filled wit c**p)
    03-25-09 10:27 AM
    Some1 pm`ed me the instruction and the location of the files, so if any1 wants em let me know.

Other than downloading the files it doesn`t take much time.

I started at 6:40am, finished at 6:53am, so about 10-15mins. (I didn`t have much to backup, so it could take you longer if your bold is filled wit c**p)
    your welcome
    03-25-09 01:54 PM
    What is this? Whats the purpose?

You can also switch between HR codec and FR codec when you debrand.
    03-25-09 04:51 PM
    Hey Tronyx, thanks for starting this. I was wondering if you/community could add more input about the positives and negatives of unbranding. while unlocking is 100% positive the current tone of the main post is that unbranding is too. There are mentions of voiding your warranty but there is also risk of bricking your phone.

I don't want to talk about how to debrand and what it involves as that is not allowed, rather the consequences after. you mention some of the things you can do now like the engineering screen, is there stuff that you can't do? by debranding your phone no longer "squawks" as your providers equipment. What effects have you or others observed? on AT&T for instance, would AT&T Navigator (telenav) still work? Do you know what is controlled by the SIM and what is controlled by the device?

If this sounds stupid, just let me know. However, in all other posts about unbranding most people have said it has overall undesirable results, and that the benefits of it are minimal as so it's not worth the time. I realize you have debranded your phone so you may be bias...lol. If I only had two Bolds and two AT&T SIM cards I could debrand one and not the other and compare!

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
    03-25-09 07:24 PM
    your welcome
    Hey thx, BTW everytime i send it to any1 (here & on hofo), i quote what you sent me, so you`re getting credit.

soo thxxxxx dude. Unbranded Bold > Reg Bold.

Unbranded Bold + unbranded bottom cover =
    03-25-09 07:50 PM
    Hey thx, BTW everytime i send it to any1 (here & on hofo), i quote what you sent me, so you`re getting credit.

soo thxxxxx dude. Unbranded Bold > Reg Bold.

Unbranded Bold + unbranded bottom cover =
    no I don't deserve any credit
    03-25-09 08:16 PM
    no I don't deserve any credit
    Well, you sent it to me so as far as im concerned all credit goes to you.
    03-25-09 08:40 PM
    3. Several items within the menu now have more advanced details listed then they did before. GPS is one of the few items that gets changed.
    5. Depending on your carrier, certain applications may even become available to you as well.
    Regarding #3, I'm curious if you (or anyone with an unbranded phone) could post which menu options are now made available to you.

For #5.. I used to have an AT&T Bold, which I replaced with an unlocked Rogers Bold, mainly for the ability to manually switch between 2G and 3G. I am curious if there are any specific applications which will NOT run on a Rogers branded bold.

Thanks
    03-25-09 11:57 PM
    For the people that asked about the DISADVANTAGES of de-branding. Here are the disadvantages which I've read on other posts:

1. If you have an AT&T Bold, and you de-brand it, you can no longer use AT&T WiFi for free (available at Starbucks, some airports, etc..).

2. You need to fill in your APN settings manually (Options > Advanced Options > TCP/IP).

3. If you screw up in the process of de-branding it, you can permanently brick your phone. I've heard of a few people out there getting some radio core error when they try to use 3G after unbranding it, and AFAIK, they were not able to recover from it.

4. Needless to say, you void your warranty.
    03-26-09 12:04 AM
    Thanks KJNaJ

Here's what I've done so far and have kind of answered some of my own questions. I took an 8310 and unlocked and unbranded it. With an AT&T SIM it did still identify itself as an 8310 to mobile websites and I was able to download and use telenav.

As far as the phone identifying itself as AT&T i'm not able to confirm or deny this. Anyone know a good/simple way to check? The Starbucks test is a good one, there is a Starbucks across the street so I'll see if I can test that.

As far as usability/functionality the only useful difference, IMO, is the 2G/3G switch. So i'll probably do my Bold in pursuit of that. I was talking about this in the 8900 forum and with that device there really isn't much of a good reason to debrand. It's also newer and riskier as I haven't read much about people doing it. And, if there's no useful reason to do it, why bother?

So, the benefits are debatable and up to interpretation for each person.

The risks are a voided warranty and a having a fancy dummy phone.
    03-26-09 12:35 PM
    I'm sort of afraid of debranding? I'm fairly tech savvy but if it bricks is there any way of fixing?
    03-26-09 03:41 PM
    I am able to access the WIFI hotspots for AT&T for free using my debranded bold. I am on AT&T. I had heard about this issue shortly after debranding mine and when I was at a Starbucks, turned WIFI on and it hooked right up with no hitch to the ATTWIFI.
    03-26-09 04:59 PM
    I have the actual method to debranding am I allowed to post ? It took me all day but it worked on my alltel blackberry !
    03-30-09 01:21 AM
    I have the actual method to debranding am I allowed to post ? It took me all day but it worked on my alltel blackberry !
    No it isn't allowed to be discussed openly here
    03-30-09 01:40 AM
    No it isn't allowed to be discussed openly here

What he said.
    03-30-09 01:51 AM
    Can't believe this thread is still alive. Kinda gives me a tingly feeling, lol.

Chris
    03-30-09 03:32 AM
    Can't believe this thread is still alive. Kinda gives me a tingly feeling, lol.

Chris
    x2
    Gotta Love 3G Wireless Method ALL DAY EVERYDAY!
    No more 2G & 3G
    03-30-09 03:56 AM
    if my service provider doesn't give me a code. where else can i get one and for how much?? thanks
    03-30-09 10:08 AM
347 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD