07-27-12 12:41 AM
347 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Why would you unbrand your phone? Other then the 2g/3g thing which only AT&T blocks and gps. What is the pros for this?
    03-13-09 02:22 PM
    For people who want to really make their phone their own and not have a carrier's logo and software and stuff plastered all over it.

Chris

PS - HOLY CRAP I'M A CRACKBERRY MASTER!
    03-13-09 02:25 PM
    You can also switch between HR codec and FR codec when you debrand.
    03-13-09 02:26 PM
    You can also switch between HR codec and FR codec when you debrand.
    Holy crap, thanks for reminding me of that Xpimp. I'm adding that now.

Only adding it to the new topic for it and not this one though folks, so don't get crazy.

Chris
    03-13-09 02:32 PM
    RIM will not cripple this function for any carrier. I am not 100% sure on this. But if the manufacturer refuses to cripple the device, then the carrier will have to live with it. I know Rogers is notorious for not allowing users to add their own mp3 ringtones, but this only applies to most Motorola's, LG's and Samsung's as far as I know. Nokia, you have to cut the song to a certain kb in order to add it as your own ringtone. Some Motorola's are like that too.
    But I have yet to encounter a Blackberry that is crippled.
    Sprint bbs used to be cripples(MMS)
    Att bolds ARE cripples, unable to choose path, forced to drive lambos on dirt roads (locked to 3g+2g)
    Verizons gps is crippled
    VVM cods will only load on ATT branded phones

I'm sure rim could limit whatever they wanted depending on what the carrier would like included/removed from the mfi file loaded.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 02:39 PM
    I'll leave that up to the Mods. It's just information on what it does. Nothing on how to do it, where to specifically find any of the tools used. It goes along with the guidelines just fine.

Chris

I know it's just information but almost every forum I'm active in, people will start asking how to unbrand their phones or ask for help because they messed up. Not everyone fully reads the "stickys" on forums and that's something the Mods will have to consider.
    03-13-09 02:42 PM
    Sprint bbs used to be cripples(MMS)
    Att bolds ARE cripples, unable to choose path, forced to drive lambos on dirt roads (locked to 3g+2g)
    Verizons gps is crippled
    VVM cods will only load on ATT branded phones

I'm sure rim could limit whatever they wanted depending on what the carrier would like included/removed from the mfi file loaded.

I should've been more clear. I was referring to mp3 ringtones.
    03-13-09 02:43 PM
    I know it's just information but almost every forum I'm active in, people will start asking how to unbrand their phones or ask for help because they messed up. Not everyone fully reads the "stickys" on forums and that's something the Mods will have to consider.
    So they lock it or we tell the poster that. Either way it will cut down on the amount of topics that flood the forum and push other important topics onto the other pages.

Chris

PS - Someone actually said no to this becoming a sticky.
    03-13-09 02:44 PM
    So they lock it or we tell the poster that. Either way it will cut down on the amount of topics that flood the forum and push other important topics onto the other pages.

Chris

We get more questions about unlocking than unbranding. I hate to see the Mods' workload go up because of the increase in unbranding questions. But we'll see what they decide to do. It's entirely up to them. I'm all for the unlocking. But since unbranding is a taboo topic here, I think it should be left out entirely. Just my opinion.
    03-13-09 02:48 PM
    Disclaimers are stupid anyways.

Tronyx has no responsibilities for other people screwing up their phones or the 'legality' (which I use that term quite loosely) of doing it.

You have basically the same risk of trashing your phone with a carrier branded OS update... On that same note, double standards are stupid. Leaked OS's vs unbranding for example... I'm referring to talking about unbranding here, not posting files needed to do so.
    03-13-09 02:48 PM
    I should've been more clear. I was referring to mp3 ringtones.
    Like I said
    If verizon wanted you to have to pay for gps
    And att won't even let you use 2G unless you have no 3g coverage
    And sprint wouldn't allow mms
    If fido up and wanted , no mms, only theyr themes, only encrypted fido/blackberry ringtones, no gps, no 3g/2g, no bb maps, no call forwarding.
    All rim would have to do, is strip the mfi file of the functions.

If a carrier wants rim to remove the option to use yor own ringtones
    It would be as transparent ad the 2g/3g, and the gps issues
    And yes it can be done...

03-13-09 02:51 PM
    I added a bit to the top of it. You'll have to check the newer topic since I'm not gonna update both of them.

Chris
    03-13-09 02:53 PM
    I'm betting those "leaks" are not accidents. That suddenly provides you with a whole lot of beta testers, and total deniability for the consequences.
    03-13-09 02:54 PM
    I'm betting those "leaks" are not accidents. That suddenly provides you with a whole lot of beta testers, and total deniability for the consequences.
    Exactly.

That's why I always tell people that we're the guinea pigs. (Those of us who are degenerate OS upgraders.)
    03-13-09 02:55 PM
    E-X-A-C-T-L-Y!

Chris
    03-13-09 02:56 PM
    Kind of how the tool used to unbrand was not an accident?

A whole bunch of beta testers who don't know what's changed and probably couldn't pick out 9/10ths of what occurred from one update to the next unless it's highly visible...
    03-13-09 02:57 PM
    SO TRUE!!!!
    03-13-09 02:57 PM
    Kind of how the tool used to unbrand was not an accident?
    Maybe, but that appears to be a one off leak. None of us know one way or another. But I'm not buying that beta OS's are leaked every week on accident. If their security really was that bad at RIM, they would have few corporate customers.
    03-13-09 02:59 PM
    The security of other aspects of RIM doesn't mean they have to be as strict on stuff that is less important.

OS release leaks vs server security isn't even a comparison to be made.
    03-13-09 03:01 PM
    Like I said
    If verizon wanted you to have to pay for gps
    And att won't even let you use 2G unless you have no 3g coverage
    And sprint wouldn't allow mms
    If fido up and wanted , no mms, only theyr themes, only encrypted fido/blackberry ringtones, no gps, no 3g/2g, no bb maps, no call forwarding.
    All rim would have to do, is strip the mfi file of the functions.

If a carrier wants rim to remove the option to use yor own ringtones
    It would be as transparent ad the 2g/3g, and the gps issues
    And yes it can be done...

Anything CAN be done. But the ultimate decision is RIM. If they say no we are not going to cripple mp3 ringtones, there's nothing any carrier can do. Carriers can request whatever the heck they want, but it doesn't mean they will get it.
    03-13-09 03:09 PM
    The security of other aspects of RIM doesn't mean they have to be as strict on stuff that is less important.

OS release leaks vs server security isn't even a comparison to be made.
    Yeah, it really is. It points to overall operating processes. If you are sloppy in one area, you're probably sloppy in another.
    03-13-09 03:14 PM
    Yeah, it really is. It points to overall operating processes. If you are sloppy in one area, you're probably sloppy in another.
    So what you're effectively saying is that RIM being worth anything security wise hinges on the fact that these leaks are done on purpose.

03-13-09 03:18 PM
    I'm saying that any company that has this many leaks that were not done on purpose tells me that they are not to be entirely trusted. If I were looking for a secure communication solution, which corporate e-mail is, I would have to take a hard look at how they control information. And, I've never seen any proof at all that these OS's were leaked, on purpose or otherwise. My guess is that with RIM's reputation in the industry, they are not accidental leaks, they are done with the full knowledge of RIM and are completely on the up and up. No conspiracy, but I think the story of "leaked" OS's is just one more piece of self perpetuating FUD that people push of as fact.
    03-13-09 03:24 PM
    Yeah, but because of your view on "lax in one area = lax in many", RIM could easily be a sucky company (50/50 since no one here knows if its intentional).

But anyways, the issue of moderation... From what I've heard some "unbranding" posts were removed due to "linking" without actually linking to any files...

03-13-09 03:29 PM
    Well, I certainly wouldn't include rumors on an internet forum as part of my due diligence during the purchase.
    03-13-09 03:35 PM
347 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD