07-27-12 01:41 AM
347 1234 ...
tools
    Good job Tronyx one of the best threads of the year, this should be stickied!
    03-13-09 01:21 AM
    Good job Tronyx one of the best threads of the year, this should be stickied!
    Thank you Xpimp, that was the goal of creating this and asking others to add to it.

Chris
    03-13-09 01:23 AM
    Thanks for the additional information. I'm adding it to the guide now.

Chris

You might want to confirm that about Blackberrys. As far as I know, RIM never crippled their phones. So adding your own mp3 ringtones was never an issue. I know this applies to most Manufacturers except for WinMo and RIM. But please double check on this before posting it.
    03-13-09 01:24 AM
    You might want to confirm that about Blackberrys. As far as I know, RIM never crippled their phones. So adding your own mp3 ringtones was never an issue. I know this applies to most Manufacturers except for WinMo and RIM. But please double check on this before posting it.
    Gonna need someone with a branded phone to check because mine is unbranded.

Chris
    03-13-09 01:25 AM
    Gonna need someone with a branded phone to check because mine is unbranded.

Chris

Well mine is branded to Rogers and I can assign my own ringtones. I am not required to cut the song or unbrand it to add my own mp3 ringtones.
    03-13-09 01:30 AM
    Well mine is branded to Rogers and I can assign my own ringtones. I am not required to cut the song or unbrand it to add my own mp3 ringtones.
    Do you think it's possible for a carrier to limit that function?

Chris
    03-13-09 01:35 AM
    Do you think it's possible for a carrier to limit that function?

Chris

RIM will not cripple this function for any carrier. I am not 100% sure on this. But if the manufacturer refuses to cripple the device, then the carrier will have to live with it. I know Rogers is notorious for not allowing users to add their own mp3 ringtones, but this only applies to most Motorola's, LG's and Samsung's as far as I know. Nokia, you have to cut the song to a certain kb in order to add it as your own ringtone. Some Motorola's are like that too.
    But I have yet to encounter a Blackberry that is crippled.
    03-13-09 01:41 AM
    My phone is not unbranded but switching between 2G, 3G and 2G + 3G is on my phone and I can do it.
    My phone is unlocked though.
    03-13-09 01:48 AM
    RIM will not cripple this function for any carrier. I am not 100% sure on this. But if the manufacturer refuses to cripple the device, then the carrier will have to live with it. I know Rogers is notorious for not allowing users to add their own mp3 ringtones, but this only applies to most Motorola's, LG's and Samsung's as far as I know. Nokia, you have to cut the song to a certain kb in order to add it as your own ringtone. Some Motorola's are like that too.
    But I have yet to encounter a Blackberry that is crippled.
    Ok, cool. I won't add that to the article then.

Thanks WG.

Chris
    03-13-09 01:48 AM
    My phone is not unbranded but switching between 2G, 3G and 2G + 3G is on my phone and I can do it.
    My phone is unlocked though.
    Because your phone is Rogers branded I'm assuming? That only affects the AT&T branded Bolds
    03-13-09 01:49 AM
    Yes it is Rogers and cool to know
    03-13-09 02:06 AM
    Because your phone is Rogers branded I'm assuming? That only affects the AT&T branded Bolds
    That is good to know because that was another thing that I was unsure of about the unbranding process.

Chris
    03-13-09 02:41 AM
    BUMP

Wanna keep this up top for people to read, add to and hopefully for a Mod to make it a Sticky.

Chris
    03-13-09 04:54 AM
    the link to instruction to unlock the phone is not working??
    03-13-09 05:17 AM
    the link to instruction to unlock the phone is not working??
    Yea, I broke it, but now it's fixed.

Chris
    03-13-09 05:20 AM
    BUMP

Gotta keep it up top and on the first page.

Chris
    03-13-09 06:40 AM
    NICE POST.

Kudos Chris.
    03-13-09 08:00 AM
    NICE POST.

Kudos Chris.
    Thanks Crucial!

Chris
    03-13-09 08:13 AM
    So let me get this straight. Unlocking has to do with GSM phones, so unbranding is basically the cdma equivalent?
    03-13-09 08:33 AM
    To my knowledge, unbranding would be the physical aspect of the phone. (Getting rid of your Carrier's logo)
    However, don't quote me on this cos I could be wrong.
    03-13-09 08:39 AM
    Did you even read the article? Lol. Unbranding has nothing to do with whether the phone is GSM or CDMA. Reread the article for the differences. Crucial, this post wasn't directed at you, but the guy at the end of the last page. I'm in bed at on my phone and it can be a PITA to post on here.

Chris

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 09:29 AM
    To my knowledge, unbranding would be the physical aspect of the phone. (Getting rid of your Carrier's logo)
    However, don't quote me on this cos I could be wrong.
    Debranding is removing a carrier's firmware and replacing it with the stock RIM firmware. Firmware should not be confused with the OS, they are not the same.
    03-13-09 09:31 AM
    I'm in the process of unbranding my phone, and I'm stuck at the "Reconnecting to JVM" window in Desktop Manager. On the Bold's screen it reads: "Scrubbing Inte[LOADING]evice Memory".

Perhaps this just takes some time or what? I always get impatient with these things as it takes a while just for them to come on :P
    03-13-09 11:55 AM
    You might want to read the front page again in regards to unbranding. Unbranding is not to be discussed on CB.
    03-13-09 12:17 PM
    You might want to read the front page again in regards to unbranding. Unbranding is not to be discussed on CB.
    The first rule of Unbranding is: We don't talk about Unbranding.
    03-13-09 12:20 PM
347 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD