07-27-12 01:41 AM
347 ... 1011121314
tools
    Hi, I just want to know, is this debranding will change my layout keyboard (keypad) from qwertz to qwerty?
    No. De/Unbranding is no longer something that I recommend to anyone for a few reasons. The main one being that what was accomplished by unbranding an AT&T Bold can now be done without the somewhat risky operation of unbranding the device.

Chris
    05-19-09 02:29 AM
    hey just so you guys know, VSM 11697-001 which is used to unbrand the Bold can be used on the Curve too. i just unlocked and unbranded my Curve.
    It will not work on the Curve 8900.
    05-19-09 03:03 AM
    No. De/Unbranding is no longer something that I recommend to anyone for a few reasons. The main one being that what was accomplished by unbranding an AT&T Bold can now be done without the somewhat risky operation of unbranding the device.

Chris
    so if I have qwertz keyboard and want to switch to qwerty keyboard I can't do it by de/unbranding?

the link you gave it to me for AT&T is very usefull without the debranding, thanks! But it resets to original setting when i do a battery pull...
    05-19-09 03:16 AM
    so if I have qwertz keyboard and want to switch to qwerty keyboard I can't do it by de/unbranding?

the link you gave it to me for AT&T is very usefull without the debranding, thanks! But it resets to original setting when i do a battery pull...
    Yes, I know. I responded to that in the other topic that you posted it in. Try to stick to one topic at a time.

Unbranding will not convert your qwertz into a qwerty.

As for the settings reverting upon performing a battery pull....just the way it is unfortunately. Same thing goes with using the AMR-F voice codec.

Chris
    05-19-09 03:25 AM
    Very helpful thread ?

Tronyx*

You are good at explaining

Blesses
    05-19-09 03:49 AM
    Very helpful thread ?

Tronyx*

You are good at explaining

Blesses
    Why thank you.

Chris
    05-19-09 04:16 AM
    It will not work on the Curve 8900.
    im assuming you tried it? i didnt think it would work with a curve, but i said screw it and tried anyways. and the "program" i used successfully loaded the VSM and unlocked the phone. i then reloaded the OS and sure enough, it has the RIM engineering splash screens and is unlocked. maybe you can try the netx VSM up which ends in 002, which is just a regular "Blackberry" splash screen, not the "RIM Engineering Use Only" one.
    05-19-09 11:41 AM
    hey just so you guys know, VSM 11697-001 which is used to unbrand the Bold can be used on the Curve too. i just unlocked and unbranded my Curve.
    Very, Very good to know Did this open up the engineering screens on your Javelin like it does on the Bold?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 12:02 PM
    Yes, I know. I responded to that in the other topic that you posted it in. Try to stick to one topic at a time.

Unbranding will not convert your qwertz into a qwerty.

As for the settings reverting upon performing a battery pull....just the way it is unfortunately. Same thing goes with using the AMR-F voice codec.

Chris
    thanks a lot for your explanations!
    05-19-09 12:48 PM
    thanks a lot for your explanations!
    Not a problem. Always glad to help.

Chris
    05-19-09 02:24 PM
    I did it on an older curve, not an 8900. And yes it unlocks the engineering menu. But I think VSM that ends in 001 is the only one that opens the engineering menu cuz that's the engineering VSM file. The one ending in 002 is an end user VSM that might not have the engineering menu. But I'm not sure. But I know the 001 and 002 VSM files both work on the curve. Some guy on the gsmforums used 002 on his curve. I said why not try the 001 and see what happens.

05-19-09 04:27 PM
    I did it on an older curve, not an 8900. And yes it unlocks the engineering menu. But I think VSM that ends in 001 is the only one that opens the engineering menu cuz that's the engineering VSM file. The one ending in 002 is an end user VSM that might not have the engineering menu. But I'm not sure. But I know the 001 and 002 VSM files both work on the curve. Some guy on the gsmforums used 002 on his curve. I said why not try the 001 and see what happens.

Ahh...sorry for the misunderstanding.

Anybody try this with an 8900 yet? Like the poster on pg16 that said it won't work, I'm also curious if you tried it.

05-19-09 04:37 PM
    Well, after a quick search, it seems that the *ahem* program doesn't like the 8900 http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/debranding-unlocking-curve-8900-a-196334/
    Too bad

05-19-09 04:59 PM
    Well, after a quick search, it seems that the *ahem* program doesn't like the 8900 http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/de...8900-a-196334/
    Too bad

that sucks and odd at the same time. oh well.

just to reiterate.....

VSM-11697-001 gives you the RIM "For engineering use only, not for sale or lease" splash screen and access to the engineering menu. This has been proven to work with the Bold and Curve 8310. This is probably for internal RIM engineering samples, not released to the public yet.

VSM-09712-002 gives you the "Blackberry" splash screen and i dont think it gives you access to the engineering menu. i havent tried this VSM on a Bold or Curve 8310, but someone on the gsmforums used it on his Curve 8310. This is most likely the VSM that is used on factory unlocked/unbranded blackberry devices.

i happen to prefer the first one.
    05-19-09 06:54 PM
    i happen to prefer the first one.
    Same here. There's something cool about "Property of Research In Motion"

05-19-09 07:10 PM
    Same here. There's something cool about "Property of Research In Motion"

hahahaha yup. but most importantly, its the only VSM that allows full, untimed, access to the e-screen.
    05-19-09 07:31 PM
    im assuming you tried it? i didnt think it would work with a curve, but i said screw it and tried anyways. and the "program" i used successfully loaded the VSM and unlocked the phone. i then reloaded the OS and sure enough, it has the RIM engineering splash screens and is unlocked. maybe you can try the netx VSM up which ends in 002, which is just a regular "Blackberry" splash screen, not the "RIM Engineering Use Only" one.
    I meant it wouldn't load the VSM file on the Curve 8900. When you load any VSM files, it gives an error. It has been reported to ONLY work on the Bold 9000 and Curve 8310.
    Last edited by sramesh; 05-20-09 at 05:06 AM.
    05-20-09 05:03 AM
    5. Some additional items will appear at the bottom of the list of information
    6. Network, Network Subset, Service Provider and Corporate. All of which will say Disabled

So if all of these items say Disabled, then my phone is unlocked?

Mine shows all as disabled EXCEPT Network which says "Active". Does this mean it is locked?
    05-23-09 11:22 PM
    Unlock link is dead.
    05-24-09 12:51 AM
    5. Some additional items will appear at the bottom of the list of information
    6. Network, Network Subset, Service Provider and Corporate. All of which will say Disabled

So if all of these items say Disabled, then my phone is unlocked?

Mine shows all as disabled EXCEPT Network which says "Active". Does this mean it is locked?
    Please check the unlock link in the original post again for clarification.

Unlock link is dead.
    Thanks, I knew there was a link that I forgot to fix. All taken care of.

Chris
    05-24-09 03:02 AM
    IDK. Perhaps the Storm is different because it is both CDMA and GSM? I'm not sure exactly.

Chris
    After your post i was thinking that my fone is unlocked for GSM but still locked for cdma may be.

However I upgraded to .148/5.0.0.93[9000] Hybrid (.90 radio) for speed issues and now the mepd shows

sim: disabled
    network: inactive (instead of disabled)
    network subset: disabled
    service provider: disabled
    corporate: disabled

Is "inactive" as good as "disabled" or still there is any difference?

I am curious because i don't want any gsm/cdma roaming issues during my upcoming visit abroad.

Thanks
    Last edited by sudo; 05-30-09 at 01:47 AM.
    05-30-09 01:17 AM
    Hi,

On my device, when I type MEPD, I do get disabled on three of the options. Does this mean my curve is locked or unlocked.

Many Thanks,
    Chris

05-30-09 02:30 AM
    I actually prefer 002. I like seeing just the BlackBerry logo better....
    05-30-09 02:53 AM
    Really nice thread. the Info over here is really cristal clear & very usefull.

According to me Re-Branding can b done by putting back the original vsm file of the service provider & then reloading the service provider's official os. Correct me if I m wrong.

06-02-09 06:51 AM
    this was a great help. thanks so much.
    06-02-09 10:33 PM
347 ... 1011121314
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD