347 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    nvm! i found it =) love the search feature
    04-23-09 01:33 AM
    nvm! i found it =) love the search feature
    Smart kid. You're gonna go places!

Chris
    04-23-09 02:23 AM
    cuz having the RIM logo splash screens with the notation "For engineering use only, not for sale or lease" is just so pimp!
    That it is. Hardly anybody in the "real" world has them.
    04-23-09 03:00 AM
    cuz having the RIM logo splash screens with the notation "For engineering use only, not for sale or lease" is just so pimp!
    Yup, it screams "Suspected Stolen Phone" to any cop who sees it.
    04-23-09 07:58 AM
    Yup, it screams "Suspected Stolen Phone" to any cop who sees it.
    Hahaha. Most cops probably wouldn't even know what it was!

Chris
    04-23-09 08:52 AM
    For steps just google for Namshik, it's like a blog site and they have the steps to unlock, I got mine unbranded following instructions from another forum and I'm just wondering how to restore my phone back just for the sake of knowing in case I had to apply for warranty (not that I have issues with it!!!).
    04-23-09 01:37 PM
    Well, why not go back there? I'm assuming it's very similar, but you use the VSM file that was originally on your device. You'll have to google it.

Chris

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 02:50 PM
    Tronyx,
    I think branding/unbranding may be my issue, and you're the first person I've discovered explaining it. Big help.
    I just bought a new unlocked Bold to use with a GeoSIM (from GlobalSimCard -- they're about to offer a SIM on May 18 that has both a European number and a US number on it, helpful for people like me who live pretty much over the Atlantic, between Europe and the States). The Bold arrived with AT&T branding. It is unlocked (thanks to your MEPD test, I'm sure). So the phone part works fine. But I cannot get an Internet connection, and when I try to set up email, I'm only offered the option to set up a BlackBerry Enterprise Server account -- no option to set up a "personal" e-mail account such as Gmail, which is what I need. Can you help me clear up what this is? Would unbranding (and I understand the risks), get me past these problems, provided it was succcessful? The GeoSIM people say the APN blank(s) need to be changed, and that AT&T and other outfits aren't making that possible. (I tried putting new data in those fields but it has no effect.) Would unbranding do the trick? I'm at my wits' end on this - I'm in Italy, getting ready to move to Denmark and I"m afraid I got the wrong phone unless I can get the Bold to get an Internet connection and handle Gmail. Sorry for the hassle, but could you help? I'm a newbie in all this, which I know is a pain. Either way, thanks for the good post on the unbranding/unlocking differences.
    Unlocked (but probably not unbranded, huh?)
    04-24-09 12:39 PM
    PM me. Once it is unbranded, it can be rebranded, but I am not sure of the process. You will need the specific VSM file based upon your carrier and device model.

Chris
    Tronyx, Tried to PM you but cannot do it yet since I only have two post, I need to rebrand it back to At&T or possibly rebrand it to Telkomsel or Indosat (indonesian Carrier) and do you know the VSM no.
    Thank you
    04-24-09 02:48 PM
    Unbranded my 9000 by following the instructions, and have a couple observations and questions. I'm on AT&T, running .247.

1) I used the VSM for the E-screens, but I still get the help display. I'm able to access the e-screens through that, by using the code generator.

2) BlackBerry Messenger has disappeared. I can't find an icon, nor find it on the application list.

3) I'm not provisioned to send emails. I'm still receiving emails, but I can't send.

Update: Emails are now working.

I've resent the service books a couple of times, and done a few battery pulls. Any suggestions? I have everything backed up at home, but I'm at work now, and won't be home for another 16 hours...my BB is what keeps me going!
    Last edited by bleeps; 04-24-09 at 05:36 PM.
    04-24-09 03:49 PM
    For rogers Bold, after u unbrand is there still the rogers splash screen?
    04-24-09 04:23 PM
    For rogers Bold, after u unbrand is there still the rogers splash screen?
    Nope. The splash screen goes away.
    04-24-09 04:38 PM
    Yes, use the following settings:
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username: wap@cingulargprs.com
    Password: cingular1
    Thank you for this helpful bit of info

05-07-09 10:43 PM
    Tronyx,
    I think branding/unbranding may be my issue, and you're the first person I've discovered explaining it. Big help.
    I just bought a new unlocked Bold to use with a GeoSIM (from GlobalSimCard -- they're about to offer a SIM on May 18 that has both a European number and a US number on it, helpful for people like me who live pretty much over the Atlantic, between Europe and the States). The Bold arrived with AT&T branding. It is unlocked (thanks to your MEPD test, I'm sure). So the phone part works fine. But I cannot get an Internet connection, and when I try to set up email, I'm only offered the option to set up a BlackBerry Enterprise Server account -- no option to set up a "personal" e-mail account such as Gmail, which is what I need. Can you help me clear up what this is? Would unbranding (and I understand the risks), get me past these problems, provided it was succcessful? The GeoSIM people say the APN blank(s) need to be changed, and that AT&T and other outfits aren't making that possible. (I tried putting new data in those fields but it has no effect.) Would unbranding do the trick? I'm at my wits' end on this - I'm in Italy, getting ready to move to Denmark and I"m afraid I got the wrong phone unless I can get the Bold to get an Internet connection and handle Gmail. Sorry for the hassle, but could you help? I'm a newbie in all this, which I know is a pain. Either way, thanks for the good post on the unbranding/unlocking differences.
    Unlocked (but probably not unbranded, huh?)
    Very sorry for the late response, but I have sent you an e-mail about this.

Chris
    05-08-09 12:15 AM
    I am using a storm brought from Verizon.

MEPD shows my blackberry locked (Network=Active) however It is unlocked for all 5 operators in Pakistan. What am i missing?
    05-12-09 12:34 AM
    I am using a storm brought from Verizon.

MEPD shows my blackberry locked (Network=Active) however It is unlocked for all 5 operators in Pakistan. What am i missing?
    IDK. Perhaps the Storm is different because it is both CDMA and GSM? I'm not sure exactly.

Chris
    05-12-09 12:51 AM
    Thank you Chris for this information. I think you did a great job describing the elephant in the room (debranding) without telling us where to find him
    And thanks for hosting the other, legal, tools on your site. Nice to find everything in one spot.

05-18-09 07:19 AM
    Thank you Chris for this information. I think you did a great job describing the elephant in the room (debranding) without telling us where to find him
    And thanks for hosting the other, legal, tools on your site. Nice to find everything in one spot.

Quite welcome Maxiang. Just glad that I can help others out with all of this information.

Chris
    05-18-09 07:50 AM
    hey just so you guys know, VSM 11697-001 which is used to unbrand the Bold can be used on the Curve too. i just unlocked and unbranded my Curve.
    05-18-09 09:12 AM
    Dear Tronyx:

I would like to know what is the different between Unlocked and Locked Javelin/Bold? I heard that once the device has been unlocked, it will lose several good feature like messaging or Blackberry messengers. Is that true? I realized that the unlocked devices can be used for all GSM carriers around the world. I dont know if several pre-settings that had been release by providers(Tmobile,AT&T,etc) will be erased once th device is unlocked. or will it be exactly the same both locked or unlocked device just the unlocked one can be used on different service provider.

In the bottom line, Will an unlocked device lost some of the feature that a locked device had? whats the advantage or disadvantage of unlocking the phone other than playing with other carrier?
    Please advise.

I am thinking to buy Javelin or Bold next week. My hands and fingers are big. Which device will be suitable for me? I will use the device mostly for typing(messaging, posting stuff in forum/Facebook). I will not use it for listening to music, taking pics. which one is more suitable for me?

Thank you in advance. every opinion and comment will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ichi
    05-19-09 12:33 AM
    Finally decided not to be lazy and debranded, woo. The OS wouldn't update/corrupted so had to use the command line loader.
    05-19-09 01:33 AM
    Dear Tronyx:

I would like to know what is the different between Unlocked and Locked Javelin/Bold? I heard that once the device has been unlocked, it will lose several good feature like messaging or Blackberry messengers. Is that true? I realized that the unlocked devices can be used for all GSM carriers around the world. I dont know if several pre-settings that had been release by providers(Tmobile,AT&T,etc) will be erased once th device is unlocked. or will it be exactly the same both locked or unlocked device just the unlocked one can be used on different service provider.

In the bottom line, Will an unlocked device lost some of the feature that a locked device had? whats the advantage or disadvantage of unlocking the phone other than playing with other carrier?
    Please advise.

I am thinking to buy Javelin or Bold next week. My hands and fingers are big. Which device will be suitable for me? I will use the device mostly for typing(messaging, posting stuff in forum/Facebook). I will not use it for listening to music, taking pics. which one is more suitable for me?

Thank you in advance. every opinion and comment will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ichi
    I apologize, but as a Bleach fan, I just can not call you Ichi.

As the other users have responded to you in your topic regarding unlocking, no, you will not lose ANY features when you unlock your device. The only thing that unlocking your devices accomplishes is allowing you to use your device with any other GSM cellular provider.

I have big hands as well and I absolutely love my Bold. Never really run into the issue of hitting multiple keys. Well, at least not anymore, lol. It took a bit to get used to because it was my first full qwerty keypad, but I love it now.

Finally decided not to be lazy and debranded, woo. The OS wouldn't update/corrupted so had to use the command line loader.
    Really? Wow. First time I've heard of that happening. I blame you...

Chris
    05-19-09 01:35 AM
    Wasn't hard to recover, but yeah the DM didn't want to cooperate and would hang mid update.
    05-19-09 01:52 AM
    Wasn't hard to recover, but yeah the DM didn't want to cooperate and would hang mid update.
    Weird. Haven't had any issues with mine...

Chris
    05-19-09 01:59 AM
    Hi, I just want to know, is this debranding will change my layout keyboard (keypad) from qwertz to qwerty?
    05-19-09 02:19 AM
347 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD