I'm wondering if unlocking a Tmob 8900 will disrupt the UMA capabilities? I live in a somewhat rural area and my UMA is something I absolutely cherish!
    07-04-10 11:14 AM
    I'm wondering if unlocking a Tmob 8900 will disrupt the UMA capabilities? I live in a somewhat rural area and my UMA is something I absolutely cherish!
    Absolutely not, unlocking your Blackberry will not affect any features on the phone. It will enable you to use it with other SIM cards.
    07-04-10 04:05 PM
    It will disrupt it, but if you use it on a network that does not support UMA then you will not be able to use UMA while on that network.
    07-04-10 10:07 PM
    I'm planning on staying with Tmob for now. I did the check by navigating to SIM card and typing in MEPD and it shows network as Active. This means the BB is locked to Tmob.

I would prefer to have an unlocked BB and if I did get it unlocked- would my Tmob SIM card suddenly not support UMA is what I'm asking. Hope that makes some sense
    07-04-10 11:40 PM
    Everything would be the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-10 11:41 PM

That is something good to hear! Thanks.
    07-05-10 12:15 AM
    I just got off the phone with Tmob and the rep tried to help me with unlocking my phone. He couldn't do it. He said that since I was new to Tmob I had to have an account active for 30 days and the SIM had to be active for 90 days.

My reason for unlocking was I was going out of the country at the end of the month. I'm pretty familiar with how these call centers work as I used to work in telemarketing many moons ago. Most of the time it's required that you read a script and the customer rep follows prompts.

He was ready to send the unlock instructions to my email but after a little bit he said the system was not allowing him b/c of the 30day with Tmob and 90day with SIM. I asked him for the MEP code so I could unlock the darn thing myself but he said a MEP code was available only for two types of Blackberries- IIRC one was the 8250 and some other model.

Is it safe to use third-party unlocking services??? I have a cell tower two miles down the road that would give me excellent service but the carrier doesn't seem to have an agreement with them so I totally rely on UMA here at home.
    07-05-10 10:10 AM
    I just got off the phone with Tmob and the rep tried to help me with unlocking my phone. He couldn't do it. He said that since I was new to Tmob I had to have an account active for 30 days and the SIM had to be active for 90 days.

My reason for unlocking was I was going out of the country at the end of the month. I'm pretty familiar with how these call centers work as I used to work in telemarketing many moons ago. Most of the time it's required that you read a script and the customer rep follows prompts.

He was ready to send the unlock instructions to my email but after a little bit he said the system was not allowing him b/c of the 30day with Tmob and 90day with SIM. I asked him for the MEP code so I could unlock the darn thing myself but he said a MEP code was available only for two types of Blackberries- IIRC one was the 8250 and some other model.

Is it safe to use third-party unlocking services??? I have a cell tower two miles down the road that would give me excellent service but the carrier doesn't seem to have an agreement with them so I totally rely on UMA here at home.
    Unlock Code and MEP are the same thing. 3rd party unlockers are safe as long as you get one that is a reputable one.
    07-05-10 10:54 AM
    I just worry because I feel that the IMEI is like the phones Social Security number... and you know you never give out that information to strangers!

I did not know MEP and unlock code were the same thing.. so that's why he couldn't bring that up on his end! I'm thinking that I'll give this some time and do more research on the topic.
    07-05-10 11:17 AM
    I just worry because I feel that the IMEI is like the phones Social Security number... and you know you never give out that information to strangers!

I did not know MEP and unlock code were the same thing.. so that's why he couldn't bring that up on his end! I'm thinking that I'll give this some time and do more research on the topic.
    You have nothing to worry about giving out your IMEI to a reputable unlocker. Most of us here have good feedback and will not use your IMEI for anything else other then generating your Unlock Code. Let us know if you need help.
    07-05-10 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD