I desperately need advice please! I live in South Africa where the Blackberry Bold 9700 is around $750!!! This is why I want to get a Blackberry 9700 from the U.S. but ofcourse it will be locked to T-mobile or AT&T, I can get one from the US through a relative but i will need to unlock it to work in South Africa. Do you think it will be worth my while to purchase it from the U.S? Will I be guaranteed to be able to unlock it? If I cannot unlock it, I can never use the phone and that would be a huge waste of money. What experiences have you had with unlocking Blackberries? I'm aware that I could get an unlocked one from the US, but as this is a last-minute thing i have to decide whether i want it by Moday and unlocked blackberries are hard to come by on short-notice. Basically, I have to decide whether i want to take the risk of having a Blackberry that doesn't work in South Africa, and I was hoping you could enlighten me on the amount of risk I would be taking. Any response is most appreciated.
    04-28-10 07:24 PM
    Yes both At&t and Tmo 9700's are 100% unlockable. Mine At&t 9700 is
    04-28-10 07:26 PM
    Several trustworthy sites/vendors on here that will unlock your BB.
    I have unlocked 2 in the past couple months.
    I purchased an unlock code ($10) recently and had my 9700 unlocked within 10 minutes of completing the order.
    Go for it.
    04-28-10 07:38 PM
    yeah att unlock its trustworthy i'm using 9700 unlock att since the 9700 came out.. like dustbow said there's alot of sites that can help you i think even on this forum they people to unlock your berry for you
    04-28-10 07:54 PM
    Also check out local forums. I purchased my 9700 unlocked from another member. BTW, I'm in the same boat as you, living in a different country facing astronomical prices on phones.
    04-28-10 07:56 PM
    Check your 3G bands so the phone can have working 3G in your country, T-Mobile 3G is not the same freq as at&t.
    04-28-10 07:58 PM
    Go for it! You'll be able to get it unlocked. (:

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-10 07:58 PM
    go ahead BUT check your bands, maybe your carrier's 3G isnt compatible with your 9700. So you'd get only to Edge
    04-28-10 08:11 PM
    Yes the unlock is guaranteed. Blackberry's are the only device that I can confidently say is guaranteed. I suggest you buy the AT&T, Rogers, Bell or Telus versions of the 9700 though. Stay away from Tmobile and Wind for your purposes as their 9700's have a different 3G frequency that is really only compatible between those 2 networks.

When choosing your 'unlocker' make sure they're trustworthy and have a good reputation. There are a number of us on Crackberry.com

Let us know if you have any other questions.
    04-28-10 08:14 PM
    If you get it directly from AT&T - not ebay or anything I know you can get the unlock code from them for free. But regardless where you get your phone from - the unlock code I think is IMEI and pin specific so it is guaranteed to work. Ebay works too but unlock code is not free you can also search for good unlock place on youtube.
    04-28-10 08:44 PM
    I desperately need advice please! I live in South Africa where the Blackberry Bold 9700 is around $750!!! This is why I want to get a Blackberry 9700 from the U.S. but ofcourse it will be locked to T-mobile or AT&T, I can get one from the US through a relative but i will need to unlock it to work in South Africa. Do you think it will be worth my while to purchase it from the U.S? Will I be guaranteed to be able to unlock it? If I cannot unlock it, I can never use the phone and that would be a huge waste of money. What experiences have you had with unlocking Blackberries? I'm aware that I could get an unlocked one from the US, but as this is a last-minute thing i have to decide whether i want it by Moday and unlocked blackberries are hard to come by on short-notice. Basically, I have to decide whether i want to take the risk of having a Blackberry that doesn't work in South Africa, and I was hoping you could enlighten me on the amount of risk I would be taking. Any response is most appreciated.

It will function just fine inn your country, but you have to remember in order to get full functionality you will need to have a BlackBerry Data Plan.
    04-29-10 09:21 AM
    Yes the unlock is guaranteed. Blackberry's are the only device that I can confidently say is guaranteed. I suggest you buy the AT&T, Rogers, Bell or Telus versions of the 9700 though. Stay away from Tmobile and Wind for your purposes as their 9700's have a different 3G frequency that is really only compatible between those 2 networks.

When choosing your 'unlocker' make sure they're trustworthy and have a good reputation. There are a number of us on Crackberry.com

Let us know if you have any other questions.
    the T-Mo/Wind version both equally support the Euro 2100 MHZ 3G band so outside of north america, it really doesn't matter which he gets... T-Mo version supports UMA, AT&T does not... so there's a reason for the T-Mo one....
    04-29-10 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD