In November I might be going to the Netherlands for a huge event and want to still have a functional storm both before, during and after I get back... what is the best/cheapest route to take?? I know its a ways away but id like to get my feet wet with the idea/procedure...
    05-14-09 03:11 PM
    As long as you've been a verizon customer for more than 60 days, just call them and tell them you are going out of the country and that you would like to unlock the sim card so you can get a local one.
    05-14-09 03:24 PM
    kindly clarify "a functional storm"...meaning you would want it to function the same way as it does in the US or that it works on the local networks?

You will need to get it unlocked. Once that is done, you have two options - use the vodafone sim in there and get data (i.e. emails) and even calls while overseas. However, the rate will be per minute for voice and also you should get the international data plan. If however you would like to use the phone to make calls, you should swap out the vodafone sim for a local one - much cheaper for calls. Keep in mind that with the second option - you dont get data (=no email - unless you get a prepaid data plan in the netherlands) and your US number won't work.

HTH/
    05-14-09 03:25 PM
    Try reading this, it may help some, although it is more of a how to:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/unl...p-step-101677/
    05-14-09 03:37 PM
    the only thing im really concerned about is sending bb messages to my buddies pin who will be there as well with a US phone & US number and also email access... making calls would be an emergency basis only...

the event we are going to will be holding 30,000+ attendees...
    Last edited by TechnoRocker; 05-14-09 at 04:00 PM.
    05-14-09 03:55 PM
    ^ I would highly suggest getting an el cheapo quad band GSM phone (razr) to keep with you...then get your storm unlocked and keep it with the vodafone SIM...that will allow you to use BB IM as that is data....and you can buy a prepaid SIM from the airport to use for calls from the razr if need be...

REMEMBER: activate the unlimited international data plan (~$65) otherwise they will rob you when you get back!
    05-14-09 04:05 PM
    I would highly suggest getting an el cheapo quad band GSM phone (razr)
    like a basic att or tmo Razr??

REMEMBER: activate the unlimited international data plan (~$65) otherwise they will rob you when you get back!
    Why is this necessary if I'm using the Vodaphone Sim on an unlocked phone??
    05-14-09 04:11 PM
    right on the first but that will need to be unlocked as well.

The data you use while roaming on vodafone's network is through an agreement with verizon; and for you to continue receiving your email via BIS (or BES) you will need to either have an unlimited data plan or pay per KB through VZW...and the latter will be the "roaming" rate.... the unlocking lets you use vodafone's network as well as be able to swap a SIM in should you need to make a few calls....

I wonder if Netherlands has a CDMA carrier with a roaming agreement with VZW....
    05-14-09 04:17 PM
    If you can't unlock it by Verizon, Horizon has the codes for $13 and had me a code in less than 3 hours.
    05-14-09 04:47 PM
    Is there any bugs with having a phone unlocked through verizon and keeping it on verizon?? If so is there a way to re lock it when i get back?
    05-14-09 04:54 PM
    also. does BB maps support international maps??
    05-14-09 05:10 PM
    You don't have to have the Storm unlocked, that's what the "world" part is of the Storm. Of course you will need the international plan from VZ which is $60 amonth, but will be prorated on use. If you don't want to do this, then yes, call VZ and have it unlocked. It's free. Takes about 10 minutes on the phone by the time you get to Global Services and they give you the unlock code. With it unlocked, you can then get a cheap prepaid local card and swap out the Sim you already have in the Storm. It can be cheaper this way.
    It does hurt anything having the Storm unlocked (I have had mine unlocked since December. There's no reason to have it locked again upon return. It's really no big deal.
    05-14-09 06:03 PM
    also. does BB maps support international maps??
    yes, so does google maps. they both work great
    05-15-09 12:03 AM
    If you will only be going out of the country temporarly just contact Verizon International and just let them know you are going to be out of the country for a while and owuld like to get an int. call and data plan. And they should pro rate the charges for as long as you need to service.

There is no to unlock your phone unless you plan to insert an international sim card into your phone.
    05-18-09 12:48 PM
    I travel internationally all the time. The central question is: do you plan on visiting more than one country? because in each country you need a different sim card or you will wind up paying more than just sticking to Verizon. my recommendationjust keep your verizon and don't hassle yourself with changing sim cards . the signal is great in Europe and the data is much better than here.
    05-18-09 04:51 PM
    no cdma in europe and none needed that is why your storm has a sim card in it , most places you will be on the local vodaphone circuit
    05-18-09 05:26 PM
    No need to unlock the phone. Like the other peeps said, get the international data plan from VZW ($64.99) I'm basing these numbers off a 4 week billing cycle, but if you have it for a week you will pay like $16.25 for that week and $22.50 for the rest of the month (assuming your dataplan is $29.99) So for around $10 you are gonna have unlimited global data.

Voice is pricey. $1.29 a minute, or $.99 a minute if you add the $3 value voice plan.. probably not worth it.
    05-18-09 05:29 PM
    All you have to do is go to verizon wireless tell them your going to be out of the country and where you are going and they will unlock it. NO 60 day requirment that way I dont know why people say that. And DONT pay for an unlock code verizon will do it FREE for you. just go into the store
    05-18-09 06:10 PM
    Is there any bugs with having a phone unlocked through verizon and keeping it on verizon?? If so is there a way to re lock it when i get back?
    When a phone is unlocked, there is no way to lock it and no there are no bugs with using an unlocked phone on VZW.
    Last edited by mpafr012; 05-18-09 at 06:50 PM.
    05-18-09 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD