02-28-10 02:58 PM
303 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I have a similar question about this. I may move to another country how would I go about doing that while keeping my phone? Don't want to give up my storm and not be able to use it. Don't want roaming charges basically
    12-07-08 01:30 AM
    purchase a SIM card from whatever country you are moving to. I'm visiting Thailand and they have SIM cards everywhere for purchase, and you just recharge them whenever you want
    12-07-08 01:43 AM
    Then I'd be able to use their service instead of Verizon correct? Oh and I'd have to pay the termination fee right? For Verizon I mean
    12-07-08 01:49 AM
    You need to get the unlock code inorder to use a different sim. Call VZW and tell them you are going on a trip to another country and want the unlock code so you can use a prepaid sim
    12-07-08 01:53 AM
    is the code different for every phone?
    yes it is.
    12-07-08 01:55 AM
    Well I also wanted the other question answered lol. Cause I am wondering about the termination fee. Or can I just get an international plan? Which is best?
    12-07-08 02:02 AM
    you can go to another country and get a SIM card for whatever carrier there and not have to terminate with verizon
    12-07-08 02:04 AM
    i'm pretty new to this so if i get another country's SIM card I can still use verizon's plan? and if so would need international plan correct?
    12-07-08 02:11 AM
    guh...

u dont need an international plan if ur gonna use another carrier's sim card
    12-07-08 02:25 AM
    Oh ok I get it now. Sorry. -hides- I told you I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.
    12-07-08 02:29 AM
    I'm a Verizon customer and am not interested in switching carriers. Just out of curiosity, why is everyone unlocking their phones? Are you planning to move to AT&T or TMobile? I may be traveling to Italy in a few months, but I'm new to the whole SIM card unlocking thing and am curious if there is any real benefit to me to call and get the phone unlocked. Also, if I unlock my phone does that mean that it won't work on Verizon anymore?
    the biggest benefit to unlocking the phone and using an overseas SIM card is the $ savings.

on verizon's SIM card is going to charge you about 1.29 per minute while over there.

but if you put in an Italy sim card, about .39 per minute.

PS you don't even wanna know the data rates. very spendy. no "unlimited" plans that i could find.
    Last edited by DruDog; 12-07-08 at 02:46 AM.
    12-07-08 02:41 AM
    Ouch that's got to hurt the wallet and in these times, yeah bad lol
    12-07-08 02:48 AM
    Does unlocking your sim card mean that you can use it on a GSM phone? Like if i wanted to use an IPhone.
    12-07-08 09:25 AM
    I got it to work with Tmobile with literally no effort. Phone calls incoming and outgoing no problem. Internet no problem. Download of emails successful and text messaging work like a charm.
    12-07-08 10:06 PM
    Does unlocking your sim card mean that you can use it on a GSM phone? Like if i wanted to use an IPhone.
    You unlock the phone, not the card. Unlocking is the ability to use any SIM card you want in the phone. If you wanted to use the Verizon SIM card in an IPhone you would have to unlock the IPhone to use a non-ATT SIM card.

Why you would want to do that, I have no idea...
    12-07-08 11:51 PM
    I just went through the process of unlocking my SIM card. If I use JL_Cmder to wipe my phone and then reload the operating system, do I need to go through this process again or will my phone stay unlocked?
    12-08-08 04:24 PM
    very nice instructions and easy to understand
    12-08-08 04:50 PM
    I live in Sweden and the Storm has not yet been released here.
    A friend of mine that lives in the US has bought me a 9530 Storm without contract that he will ship to me.

My question is if you can see some issues when i receive the phone here.
    I will probably have to call Verizon to get the unlock code but will the phone work at all since its not registerred on a US sim.

Thanx.
    12-09-08 04:35 AM
    Hi everyone...
    I am one of the Storm owner that haven't been able to use it. The problem is I am in Indonesia right now, and my storm arrived here without even get activated from Verizon. Is it still possible to call them from here through the direct line mentioned earlier? Do we have to state our verizon number when we call the customer care or just the imei?
    Thanks for the info...
    12-09-08 09:38 AM
    Hi everyone...
    I am one of the Storm owner that haven't been able to use it. The problem is I am in Indonesia right now, and my storm arrived here without even get activated from Verizon. Is it still possible to call them from here through the direct line mentioned earlier? Do we have to state our verizon number when we call the customer care or just the imei?
    Thanks for the info...
    Before talking to a representative, a automated system will ask you to enter your 10 digit mobile number and than it asks for your last four social security #/tax id. Once it transfers you to a rep, they will than ask for your name to verify account. Even if you avoid typing this by pressing any numbers, the representative will still ask for your mobile number and information so that they can record and keep track of any information.
    12-09-08 09:58 AM
    So I got my code and entered on my phone and it was successful. After reading more about this UNLOCKING, there was mention of handset unlock and SIM unlock. Are they both the same? I dont know if SIM unlock referred to unlocking the sim card and not the handset itself.

I have this displayed when I type MEPD

SIM: Disabled
    Network: Active
    Network Subset: Disabled
    Service Provider: Disabled
    Corporate: Disabled

However, reading the Vodafone unlock thread, it seems that the phone is still locked? Maybe I'm not understanding it clearly or misread it. Can someone clarify this for me? Again, I got the code from Verizon, and it was successful.

I dont have a Tmobile or AT&T SIM card to try out. Hence my questions and curiosity.
    12-09-08 11:33 AM
    the network says active because you have a sim card in it and the connections are still on..if the network was disabled you could not make any calls whatsoever from your phone...so basically your phone is unlocked now and you can pop in another sim card and see it works with any carrier..
    12-09-08 01:15 PM
    Wow I Didnt Think It Would Work, But Here's My Story I Just Order The Storm Which Arrived On The 5th, I Was Checking Out The Fourms When I Came Across This Thread. I Said What The Heck And Called VERIZON. The First Guy I Got I Told Him I Was Going Out Of The Country And He Said Let Me Transfer You To Global. The Lady Got On The Phone And Looked At My Account And Said Since You Didnt Need To Pay A Security Deposited I Can Give You The Code And I Can Set It Up For You 10 Minutes Later I'm Unlocked..............i Will Never And I Mean Never Go To Another Blackberry Forum Site From This Day On
    12-09-08 04:27 PM
    I was able to unlock my blackberry storm yesterday. my question is if i can use T-Mobile's 3G network on this phone? Because under network connections, there is an option to choose "2G", "3G", OR "2G & 3G". When I chose "3G", i lose all signal and I would have to keep it on "2G&3G" to keep a signal. Just wondering if anyone knows if we can use TMobile's 3G network on my storm??
    12-09-08 04:39 PM
    with all the excitement .....what happens if i cancel my verizon account will the phone still work?
    12-09-08 04:48 PM
303 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD