02-28-10 03:58 PM
303 12345 ...
tools
    ok so the storm is supposed to be cdma and gsm so what i want to know is can it be unlocked to work on sprint, thats what i want to do cause right now sprint has the best price plan $99 unlimited evrything
    11-25-08 09:09 PM
    Here is my issue with unlocking:

I called VZW, got the unlock code, entered it onto the storm, and it said ok, code accepted.

I rebooted the phone, but if I go back to the SIM -> MEPD, it still says Active next to network.

Is there anyway to tell if it is unlocked? I dont have access to any ATT or TMobile SIM cards, as all my friends/family have VZW. I wanted to unlock it since I will be traveling out of the country next month.

Any ideas?
    It still says Active on mine after doing it but I am using my company's TMobile SIM card in it while I travel to China and everything is working fine.
    11-26-08 07:45 AM
    Well i just got off the phone with customer service and now my phone is unlocked. The best part is i got it done on the first shot.

Like what others have already said all you have to do is say your going to be travelling international and they get it going for you.
    11-26-08 08:58 AM
    It still says Active on mine after doing it but I am using my company's TMobile SIM card in it while I travel to China and everything is working fine.
    Thanks, very good to know.

I had just read some posts on here and other forums about unlocking blackberries, and thought it was supposed to change to disabled after it was unlocked.
    11-26-08 01:01 PM
    i just unlocked my phone..called verizon they walked me through it..they also said that if you want to use a different network just call them up and they will give you the network settings that you need to change on your phone to get it to work..
    11-26-08 05:53 PM
    Just got my phone unlocked without any problems. I called customer support and the lady had no idea so she transfer me to global support. The lady from gobal support knew what i was talking about and walked me through unlocking it. She didnt ask any questions either. Great customer service
    11-26-08 06:12 PM
    I just called and they told me I would have to pay $64.99 to unlock it? I am thinking the guy was just being smart with me.

Ok, I called back and got the unlock code. Thanks!
    Last edited by k761110e; 11-27-08 at 01:25 PM.
    11-27-08 01:00 PM
    The lady didn't want to give me the unlock code because I was a new customer and needed to wait 60 days. Told her I would have to cancel my service and use a different carrier because I needed my phone overseas... She gave me the code Another note, when I use my AT&T sim it still shows my Verizon number on caller ID.

Never mind... Had to switch the network to GSM... Kind of cool.
    11-27-08 02:13 PM
    i am excited for tomorrow i am gonna buy the storm and get it unlocked .... its gonna be sweet
    11-27-08 02:14 PM
    Got my Storm unlocked on Tuesday. No Problem. However, on the call screen, it still displays my Verizon # number. What will be displayed once I cancel service and are there anu settings to change to get MMS working? I'm on ATT.
    11-28-08 12:49 AM
    i bought my storm today and got the unlock code (and im not a customer) but how do you get it to work on the network. i followed the directions but it still not working
    What did you tell them to get the unlock code?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 02:17 PM
    Question, why would anyone aside from those planning overseas trips want to change to a different network domestically?

If you are with ATT you have the iphone which every other carrier and phone maker is attempting to emulate. If you are with Sprint you have the well rebiewed Instinct.

Now we loyal VZW folks finally have something reasonably competitive to use on the most reliable network.......just wondering.

Also, The reason I have waited so long for this phone is b/c I travel overseas regularly and have a European phone in addition to my VZW and I wanted one number, one device and the ability for statestide people to call me with no cost to them if there is an emergency......and look at my email and recv. texts while away.
    11-28-08 03:28 PM
    I am new member and I hate to ask for help in my first post, but.
    I just bought on eBay new Blackberry Storm model: BB9530T

Question: will it work on GSM 1800 network in Costa Rica with my SIM card?
    Or do I need to unlock if yes how?

BTW: I don't live in USA and don't have friends there either.

Anyone can help?

TIA
    11-28-08 04:10 PM
    So say I do use a tmo or att sim card... What happens to my VZW account? I just close it? Kinda new to unlocking but not new to bbs

11-28-08 04:18 PM
    What about Sprint Phone? Can we used our sim card on the Storm phones?

11-28-08 06:55 PM
    Still no answer...
    11-29-08 12:22 PM
    Still no answer...

i doubt it since its not tru GSM technology .... and the nextel is a iDen service so i know it WON'T work at all with that ....

i guess trial and error is the only way but then again

iirc sprint doesn't use those frequencys that att use for voice service....
    11-29-08 05:56 PM
    What about Sprint Phone? Can we used our sim card on the Storm phones?

for all intensive purposes, you can not unlock the CDMA function of a Storm for use on Sprint. Unlocking for CMDA is different than for GSM. GSM phones are made for switching carriers, CDMA is not.
    11-29-08 06:40 PM
    Since the Storm comes with a "global sim card" how do I convince VZW that I need that unlock code for going abroad?
    11-29-08 09:11 PM
    no charge. they simply deduct the minutes, and it doesn't matter where the call is forwarded to.
    11-29-08 09:20 PM
    So here is a question for you folks... In my area we have great VZW coverage, in the flats... nothing in the mountains. Now in the mountains, we have great coverage from a local GSM carrier (NOT AT&T OR ANYTHING). Would I be able to roam on the local GSM network then if it unlocked? Or will the vodafone only work overseas?

I suppose I could get a sim from the local carrier and try that. But it would have a different number right? Until my Storm gets here....

Thanks for you input!
    11-29-08 09:32 PM
    After unlocking the phone, do I still need to keep the verizon sim card or could I just throw it away. Also I'm only getting edge and not EDGE, how do I fix that. I currently running on T-Mobile.
    11-30-08 06:27 PM
    For the unlocked phone on T-mobile.. it switched the edge from EDGE on me one time.. but has worked perfectly since. Go to options... advanced options.. then TCP and take out the APN settings that are already in there for verizon and put in wap.voicestream.com to the APN and save it. Thats how I get my opera mini to work on my tmobile storm too.

I have a question..

I have an unlocked storm for tmobile and my girlfriend has an unlocked storm for ATT... we both cant recieve or send MMS.. is there anything we can do to get that to to work? Is there anyway we can get 3G?

Thanks in advance.
    11-30-08 06:46 PM
    I just bought a new storm and tried unlocking it for several days. Since I'm not a verizon customer, people at verizon customer support said they can't unlock the phone for me. Today, i just went to a verizon store and asked to unlock the phone for me. They plugged the phone to the computer and did something and said the phone is already unlocked. I put my tmobile sim and tried it and it said "insert sim card." I don't know why it says that. Is it not reading the sim at all? Then I read the directions for unlocking the phone on this thread. I went to options > advanced options > sim card. It says on top sim card: security disabled and on the bottom of that it says ID: 19 digit number. Does that mean the phone is already unlocked? I tried my tmobile sim card and it won't work. Please help!!!
    12-01-08 12:18 AM
    One more question...for the storm to work on tmobile...do you have to have an internet plan? Would it work if you just have basic service? Because for some reason whenever I try to detect available networks, it can only detect at&t. Whenever I try to connect to tmobile, it keeps timing out and it can't connect.
    12-01-08 02:28 AM
303 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD