I tried looking this topic up in other forums/threads but couldn't find it, so I'm asking now:

Comparing my Sprint 8530 to my friend's new Tmobil 8520, I noticed her SMS is set up differently. Specifically, with the 8530 when typing the field automatically stops at 160 characters and will not let you type any further without sending it first, very annoying. Versus my friend's 8520, she can keep typing past the 160 (up to 6 msgs or 960 characters) and it sends the texts split up accordingly so.

I know these are 2 different models and carriers, but was wondering if there was a way to unlock or do the same with the Sprint model, because I am an avid texter and this 160ct max is quite annoying. Or, if any one knows of any good apps for SMS expansion?

Thanks everyone!
    06-06-10 09:03 AM
    If a carrier supports extended SMS, you have it. If the carrier doesn't, you don't. There isn't anything you can unlock to get it. Many users recommend Beyond160. It's available in the CrackBerry Store and has a free trial. Beyond160 - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    06-06-10 09:22 AM
    Ok thank you. It is odd though because it was supported on my previous phone the LG Lotus with Sprint, but not on the 8530.
    06-06-10 09:28 AM
    The Lotus when sending a long message, would actually break it up at 160ct, allowing you to "send" long messages, but others would receive 2 or more. Most CDMA carriers (sprint/verizon) do not support more than 160ct.

Beyond 160 is a good program to break them up, CrunchSMS (free threaded sms app) will also automatically break up long messages. There are others also.
    06-06-10 09:41 AM
    Just downloaded the CrunchSMS app, hopefully will work better. Yes the Lotus is set up that way, sends in broken 160ct msgs but could still just keep typing away rather than getting cut off at 160 with the 8530. Like I said, same carrier (Sprint).

My apologies as well for not fully understanding everything, only had the 8530 for couple months as I am still trying to figure it out as my first BB, lol.

Thanks again though your input.
    06-06-10 09:56 AM
    I downloaded the crunch sms app and it works wonders I don't think I wl ever go back to the regular sms they put on the phone ... ENJOY!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-10 11:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD