I'm strongly considering switching to an iPhone, but before going into the AT&T store I'm hoping I can get a little more info about what to expect....

Alright, so I'm able to upgrade to the 3GS (but it costs $399), and I've decided to look into it. Basically, I'm curious about the process you would go through to upgrade/sell your bold. From what I've seen, you unlock the bold by calling the service provider and asking for the unlock code, and if they will "release your PIN." Then you switch to a new 2-year contract with the iPhone and choose whatever data/texting plans you want. Once you have the iPhone and everything is set up, you can sell your unlocked bold. So:

Is what I wrote above the gist of the process?

Will AT&T unlock the phone/release the PIN if I explain that I will be selling it?

Once the phone is unlocked, the data is wiped, and the PIN is released; all I would have to do is sell it somewhere (ebay, here, etc). If I do that, will the buyer successfully be able to use the phone on his/her service provider (and more importantly - not get emails/texts/calls that are supposed to go to me).

I'm not sure if I signed up to BIS. I only have one email (an aol one) linked to my Bold, and I didn't create a new blackberry email account. When I type my PIN on the AT&T BIS site to request a new password, I get an email sent to that AOL account that says my username and password don't exist. I thought the PIN was locked to my BIS account, but supposedly I don't have one? This is where I'm confused the most.

I'd appreciate any help. I really don't want to go into the AT&T store and screw up somehow (not successfully canceling bold contract/getting charged twice, not unlocking/releasing PIN, etc). Thanks.
    09-19-09 04:13 PM
    You have to give at&t a good reason to get an unlock code. Something like "I treavel a lot and would like to use my bold over seas" somethong along those lines will work. And yes if you ask them to release your pin they should have no prob doin that for ya either

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-09 04:43 PM
    the buyer won't have access to any of your messages if you restore your bold to factory settings and keep your SIM card.
    09-19-09 05:19 PM
    You have to give at&t a good reason to get an unlock code. Something like "I treavel a lot and would like to use my bold over seas" somethong along those lines will work. And yes if you ask them to release your pin they should have no prob doin that for ya either

Hm, lying to them makes me a little worried about the possible legal issues. If I was switching to a new provider, I wouldn't really care....but since I'll be staying with AT&T I'd be a little worried about the complications if they found out.

the buyer won't have access to any of your messages if you restore your bold to factory settings and keep your SIM card.
    Sounds easy enough, heh.

Thanks for the help
    09-20-09 05:22 PM
    Hm, lying to them makes me a little worried about the possible legal issues. If I was switching to a new provider, I wouldn't really care....but since I'll be staying with AT&T I'd be a little worried about the complications if they found out.

Sounds easy enough, heh.

Thanks for the help
    Don't lie, if you are buying an iphone from them, they won't care. Tell them you intend to sell it and unlocking it will make that easier. Really you are staying with them, so they are not losing you to another provider. If they won't do it, hang up, call back and lie to the next CSR.

09-20-09 05:59 PM
    Just to clarify a bit:

Releasing your pin and unlocking your phone are 2 completely different things. Releasing your pin isn't a big deal for any carrier to do. Without them releasing the pin, your Blackberry can still be used on other GSM networks if unlocked...JUST NOT WITH ANY DATA CAPABILITY.

Providing an unlock code is the harder of the 2 processes (but still not hard at all). You can either do as some of the other posters above have said and try to get AT&T to provide you with an unlock code for free. Or you can pay an unlocking service to do it for you. It would probably be faster, but would cost a minimum of $10 to get done..whereas the AT&T option is free. Depends how you want to go about it.

Either way, let me know if you need any help unlocking your phone
    09-22-09 07:40 PM
    I've gotten 3 phones unlocked thru AT&T. Never had a problem with any of them. Unlocking your phone will add value to it when you sell it. When I bought my Storm on Ebay, there was a significant price difference in the locked and unlocked ones.

You don't need to worry about lying to them anyway, it's your phone and you want it unlocked. I just ask for the subsidiary unlock code for int'l travel (didn't lie and said I was traveling). The first time, they offered me the roaming plan. I said no, and they haven't bothered me since. It's a lot faster than using an unlocking service (as the prev poster stated), I was off the phone in less than 10 minutes the last two times, 20 the first.
    Last edited by bish0p34; 09-22-09 at 09:24 PM.
    09-22-09 09:22 PM
    dont worry about "lying" to them. Just tell them you are going overseas and need to get ur phone unlocked and they will give you the code right away.

worst case scenario you can always say your trip got cancelled but they dont care and they wont ask.
    Ive done it three times (warranty exchanges) and they always gave me the code right away.

good luck
    09-22-09 09:27 PM
    or just sell it me as is and get the iphone. Ill take care of unlcoking it. PM if interested....
    09-23-09 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD