Background: I have T-Mobile service, less than halfway through a 2 year contract. I drowned my Curve 8320 by putting it through the wash and totally bricked it. A friend gave me a Storm locked to Verizon. I brought it to a local store and asked them if it could be unlocked. They said they'd do it for $80.00 (yeah, I know that's outrageous). But they told me any time I upgraded the system software, or even downloaded an app, I'd need to unlock it again. I decided to just buy a Bold 9700 outright from T-Mobile directly. I called them and they gave me the unlock code no questions asked within 10 hours.

Questions:
    1.) Is there any downside to unlocking the phone if I won't be immediately using it on another network?
    2.) Will the code they gave me expire? (The T-Mobile rep sounded like it would in a few weeks.)
    3.) Are there any circumstances under which an unlocked BB would revert to being locked? I can't imagine installing an app would do it, but I like to keep current on OS's. How about a memory wipe?
    4.) If it ever needs to be unlocked again, can I use the same code? i.e. Is the code related to the IMEI and will never change?

Thanks a bunch. I kind of suspect the local store was feeding me misinformation to sell me a new phone, or at least to rack up $80.00 for unlocking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-10 01:38 AM
    Let me start by saying that I am not an expert.

With that said, in this past week I have wiped/installed OS on my Unlocked 9530 at a mininum of 10 times. Kind of extreme but have been playing with different radios to see which one works better on T-mobile.

My answers:
    1. No downside at all. Actually a lot of upside if you ever want to sell phone.
    2. The code does not expire.
    3. I don't know of any.
    4. Given the answer to 3 I think 4 is not an issue.

I hope I am not giving you wrong info.
    02-07-10 02:04 AM
    Background: I have T-Mobile service, less than halfway through a 2 year contract. I drowned my Curve 8320 by putting it through the wash and totally bricked it. A friend gave me a Storm locked to Verizon. I brought it to a local store and asked them if it could be unlocked. They said they'd do it for $80.00 (yeah, I know that's outrageous). But they told me any time I upgraded the system software, or even downloaded an app, I'd need to unlock it again. I decided to just buy a Bold 9700 outright from T-Mobile directly. I called them and they gave me the unlock code no questions asked within 10 hours.

Questions:
    1.) Is there any downside to unlocking the phone if I won't be immediately using it on another network?
    2.) Will the code they gave me expire? (The T-Mobile rep sounded like it would in a few weeks.)
    3.) Are there any circumstances under which an unlocked BB would revert to being locked? I can't imagine installing an app would do it, but I like to keep current on OS's. How about a memory wipe?
    4.) If it ever needs to be unlocked again, can I use the same code? i.e. Is the code related to the IMEI and will never change?

Thanks a bunch. I kind of suspect the local store was feeding me misinformation to sell me a new phone, or at least to rack up $80.00 for unlocking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    First off yes they were screwing with you and the guy was a ***** LOL.

1. Unlocking doesn't affect the phone in any way.
    2. The code doesn't expire as it is unique to each devices imei.
    3. A unlocked device cannot be relocked by any normal means.
    4. This question pretty much is answered by my last answer.
    02-07-10 09:50 AM
    Thanks guys! Everything is fine now. The unlocking worked great. However, afterward I did a battery pull, and my wi-fi radio wouldn't come on. It took two more battery pulls and a 10 minute wait - then the wi-fi came back. I don't think the wi-fi issue was necessarily related to the unlocking, but it scared me for a bit. I need my UMA! Thanks again for the info! (I'm never gonna do business with that local shop. That's for sure!)
    02-08-10 01:31 AM
    Glad to hear you are up and running
    02-08-10 01:59 PM
    Just like the guys said above..you have nothing to worry about. The guy either wanted your $80, or he doesn't frequent Crackberry.com enough lol
    02-08-10 03:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD