I spent some time searching/researching unlocking my bold but I've still got some questions.

People say that it is always a good idea to unlock it, but I want to know why. Yes, I know that you can use other sims with the phone (for travelling overseas and places where you don't get ATT coverage) and you'll get more when/if you sell it, etc.

But I don't travel overseas or really anywhere where I don't get att coverage and I don't plan on selling my phone anytime soon.

- Is there any reason for me to unlock it?
    - How would it handle different networks? (ie, would it ever go to say a T mobile network and then charge me up the yank with data charges?)
    - Could anything bad happen to my phone if I unlocked it?

Thanks and any other useful tips/info would be nice. I'm just trying to decide if there are any real benefits for me or not.
    04-13-09 06:32 PM

- Is there any reason for me to unlock it?

In your case, no. Not really. Other than it slightly raises resale value.

- How would it handle different networks? (ie, would it ever go to say a T mobile network and then charge me up the yank with data charges?)

No, no difference there.

- Could anything bad happen to my phone if I unlocked it?

No, Not at all.

Should you decide to, just get the code free from your provider.
    04-13-09 06:48 PM
    Yea that's what I was planning on doing, but thaks for the tip. I don't understand why people pay other companies to do it for them...

EDIT - didn't notice your responses in the quote. Thanks for the help. But if it's unlocked, why doesn't it go to say a tmobile/verizon network if they're available? Would I have to set my network preference to ATT or something?
    Last edited by jabomb9; 04-13-09 at 06:53 PM.
    04-13-09 06:50 PM
    it cant go to verizons network since they arent even GSM. as for t-mobile or any other carrier, if there is no native AT&T coverage, as long as the phone/provider/OS settings allow you to, it will roam onto another GSM carriers towers. but it will only do so if theres no native network detected. sometimes, you can search for other networks and force the phone to roam on them, but i wouldnt do that since theres no need to roam when there is AT&T available. also, your carrier might charge you for roaming, since you should be on your home network since there is available coverage.

years ago, i was driving to south carolina with my nokia 6230 while on t-mobile. as there was no native t-mobile service past southern virginia at the time, it switched over to Suncom Wireless and Cingular. both companies had roaming agreements with t-mobile, so i wasnt charged for roaming while on their networks while i travelled.
    04-13-09 07:29 PM
    So I can set it to not roam to another carrier's network if I want?

One last quick question - if I were to unlock it, does it disable my access to att wifi hotspots?
    Last edited by jabomb9; 04-13-09 at 07:56 PM.
    04-13-09 07:49 PM
    unlocking it doesnt effect your access to wifi, unbranding will. as for the roaming thing, i know my last phone (non BB) i was able to limit its ability to roam. not sure about the BB. check your settings or owners manual.
    04-13-09 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD