So I unlocked my blackberry with a online service because I was living in Europe for a few months over the summer and now I'm back in the US. I'm having problems with the keyboard. So the only question i have is if i take it back to Verizon will they know that I unlocked it and still provide me with service?
    09-20-09 01:45 PM
    They won't know you unlocked it unless you mention it to them.

But the more important point is that unlocking does not void the waranty. So you are fine. Just stop into a VZW store or give them a call.
    09-20-09 01:55 PM
    Thanks for the good info.
    09-20-09 02:09 PM
    They won't know you unlocked it unless you mention it to them.

But the more important point is that unlocking does not void the waranty. So you are fine. Just stop into a VZW store or give them a call.
    Verizon Global Support and Tech Support reps have both told me that unlocking the Tour voids the warranty, as recently as 3 weeks ago. So I would double check this info. I wish that weren't the case, and I hate that policy if it's true, but they told me it was in place b/c if you unlock it they assume you use third party SIM cards (and not the Vzw ones) and thus don't want to be liable if your phone breaks due to a foreign SIM card (which is ridiculous logic anyhow).
    09-20-09 03:18 PM
    Verizon Global Support and Tech Support reps have both told me that unlocking the Tour voids the warranty, as recently as 3 weeks ago. So I would double check this info. I wish that weren't the case, and I hate that policy if it's true, but they told me it was in place b/c if you unlock it they assume you use third party SIM cards (and not the Vzw ones) and thus don't want to be liable if your phone breaks due to a foreign SIM card (which is ridiculous logic anyhow).
    You spoke to mis-informed reps.

What they are supposed to tell you is that they are not responsible if your phone stops working with a foreign SIM card, in the sense that you can't call VZW Global Support for help if you are having trouble making calls with a different provider's SIM card.

Unfortunatley, some of the reps just get confused and say that it completley voids the waranty.

I suppose technicially if you inserted a non-VZW SIM into the Tour and somehow broke the SIM socket, they might they could try saying you used un-approved equipment, and not honor the waranty. But in this case the OP was having problems with the keyboard, so there is no possibly way they could try and say the other provider's SIM caused the problem.
    09-20-09 03:35 PM
    You spoke to mis-informed reps.

What they are supposed to tell you is that they are not responsible if your phone stops working with a foreign SIM card, in the sense that you can't call VZW Global Support for help if you are having trouble making calls with a different provider's SIM card.

Unfortunatley, some of the reps just get confused and say that it completley voids the waranty.

I suppose technicially if you inserted a non-VZW SIM into the Tour and somehow broke the SIM socket, they might they could try saying you used un-approved equipment, and not honor the waranty. But in this case the OP was having problems with the keyboard, so there is no possibly way they could try and say the other provider's SIM caused the problem.

I really hope you're right, and what you're saying would make much more logical sense. However, the person in Global Support that informed me that it would void the warranty was named Mohammed and he was a supervisor that seemed to really know his stuff. I had to hold a long time to speak with him, and he was able to override everything the person who transfered me to him said couldn't be done, so he did seem to have a lot of power and common sense!

but I really hope you're right on this.
    09-20-09 03:39 PM
    I really hope you're right, and what you're saying would make much more logical sense. However, the person in Global Support that informed me that it would void the warranty was named Mohammed and he was a supervisor that seemed to really know his stuff. I had to hold a long time to speak with him, and he was able to override everything the person who transfered me to him said couldn't be done, so he did seem to have a lot of power and common sense!

but I really hope you're right on this.
    I know one way to find out for sure.

Take a look at the back of the manual where it has the waranty details (I don't have mine with me right now or I would check).

See if it says anything like "waranty void if GSM radio is unlocked".

If it doesn't, I think your in the clear.
    09-20-09 03:53 PM
    I was told that if a third party app or sim card is what caused damage to the phone then its my problem.

And I'm more than sure that when any phone is brought to Verizon, its scanned and they do know if it was unlocked. Your altering settings in the code to have it unlocked and they would most defiantly know.
    09-20-09 06:08 PM
    They will not know plain and simple. Carriers really don't care. They tend to say to discourage buying their phones without using their service because then they have no monthly income from you.
    10-01-09 06:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD