Hi All,

I have a question about traveling internationally with an unlocked phone. WIth Verizon's now crappy international plans, the next time I travel out of the country I am definitely getting a local SIM card.

After unlocking the phone, and using a local SIM card, are you able to use PIN messages, and BBM? What about BIS? I assume you can't use the mail app anymore b/c the BB is no longer a part of the (in my case) VZW network?
    04-01-11 10:05 PM
    You would need to get a SIM card with BlackBerry Data in order to use BlackBerry Data features such as PIN messages, BBM, BIS, BlackBerry Browser, etc.

You would also have to release the device PIN from your Verizon account.
    04-01-11 10:16 PM
    so, if I understand what you're saying .... I need a special SIM card setup for Blackberry? After using one of these "special" SIM cards is there anything i have to do to revert to the VZW setup?

Maybe its just easier to get a regular data SIM card, and use the gmail client and forget about BBM? One thing I don't want to do is waste a whole bunch of time trying to get stuff to work. Can you even use just a regular data SIM?
    04-02-11 10:50 AM
    No. A 'regular data SIM' will not work.

You need a plan/SIM card that includes BlackBerry Data if you want to use BlackBerry Data features.

And the GMail apps require a BlackBerry Data Plan.

Your BlackBerry can only be active on one BIS at a time. In order to use it with another carrier, you have to release it from Verizon.

But the process of switching shouldn't necessarily be that difficult.
    04-02-11 10:56 AM
    Whatever network you're using your phone on, needs to have a Blackberry Data plan on it for you to be able to PIN people
    04-02-11 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD