So I came into possession of a T-Mobile BlackBerry Pearl 8100, no SIM card, nothing in the inbox, etc. Unfortunately in this case, I am an AT&T subscriber, so I hoped I could unlock the phone. Following the instructions I found on line, I learned about entering MEPP2 and all that, and came to the screen where it asked for the 10-digit unlocking number. Apparently you can get this from your provider, but I don't have T-Mobile, so I don't know what I'd ask for? Or who to ask... I don't want to pay $25 to have the phone unlocked, so it would be a big help if someone could tell me how to acquire these digits.

Thank you so much.
    05-10-09 06:02 AM
    You cant. You have to use a set of software to unlock the phone by essentially bricking the device and then installing an unlocked OS, which is what I did. Im exactly the reverse of you lol. 8110 on a tmobile network.
    05-10-09 10:11 AM
    05-10-09 11:13 AM
    I think he is trying to avoid paying and doing a more of a diy method. If thats the case OP, message me on the forums. Ill see what I can do to help.
    05-10-09 12:59 PM
    I think he is trying to avoid paying and doing a more of a diy method. If thats the case OP, message me on the forums. Ill see what I can do to help.
    hehe my bad!
    05-10-09 02:46 PM
    Could anybody link to a downloadable OS for the 8100 that isn't associated with a network? It would be hugely appreciated.
    05-10-09 07:28 PM
    You don't need to worry about who it's associated with. Use this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/upgr...step-z-188139/
    05-10-09 07:31 PM
    Could I just brick the phone and re-install the BlackBerry OS from RIM's website?
    05-10-09 07:33 PM
    You don't need to worry about who it's associated with. Use this (I can't post links)
    I did that last night, but I didn't brick the phone prior. Should I?
    05-10-09 07:39 PM
    You shouldn't need to. You don't have a problem now, other than the fact that it was locked.
    05-10-09 07:40 PM
    It is still locked. I don't think vendor.xml was deleted, however, but everything else that I ticked was (no default pictures, etc) so I'm not sure. Should I just try it again?
    05-10-09 07:46 PM
    Can't hurt. I don't think the fact that it's locked will keep you from doing an upgrade. You will have to delete the vendor code though. In fact, because it was a T-Mo first, you'll always have to treat it as such.
    05-10-09 07:51 PM
    So what do I do about unlocking it? Will the upgrade guide you wrote allow me to use AT&T? It's kind of a stupid question, I am relatively new to all of this...
    05-10-09 07:55 PM
    It won't unlock your berry, it will upgrade your operating system. You need to get a code to unlock your berry.
    05-10-09 08:01 PM
    Arghh, so it's back to square one. I need to figure out how to get the code without being a T-Mobile subscriber, that's my main issue.
    05-10-09 08:03 PM
    Just call them and tell them what's going on. They should be able to provide you the code.
    05-10-09 08:46 PM
    I tried that last night, they said it's against policy to provide the code to anyone who isn't associated with the network.
    05-10-09 09:07 PM
    Then call ATT. I presume the phone is legal, they want you on their network, they'll get that sucker unlocked.
    05-10-09 09:41 PM
    If you want it unlocked, or at least a knowhow, pm me. I will tell you how. Yes, it will unlock it. I am tmobile and SOMEHOW running an 8110 on the network.

It works.
    05-11-09 08:08 AM
    Just call At&t say you want to get a phone unlocked, reason: going oversea'd (say in couple of days to get it over phone) give your IMEI and your good.
    Worked for me, im a Tmobile customer and got a free pearl but it was for At&t and im not subscribed to them, i called up and did exactly as i typed only questions i was asked was: What kind of phone do you have, When did you get it? I got my code over the phone and it took 5 mins and was free
    also if the person tries to ask you for account info just say well i have a question, so you can just get it with out giving any details..
    Good luck
    05-12-09 08:16 PM
    I used the MFI Multi-loader utility. Thanks to everyone who offered great advice (especially WonderfulPlague, BigBadWolf, and Evolancer)
    05-17-09 06:18 AM
    Your welcome Horatio, hope you stick around!
    05-17-09 07:20 AM
    deleting the vendor.xml does nothing in the lines of removing the sim lock on the phone.. sorry.
    06-03-09 07:07 PM
    I asked t-mobile to unlock my blackberry and they did it for free. Then i put in my AT&T sim card and it works fine.
    06-17-09 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD