01-06-09 11:46 PM
28 12
tools
    Ok, so if you can unlock a Storm and use it on AT&T would the wifi actually work? Or was wifi physically taken out of the device itself? I was thinking that Verizon just kept it out of its software. I'm sure many of you have heard of jailbreaking iPhones (looking way better than the Storm now), what about doing that on the Storm?

All I want to know is if this is possible? Can you unlock the Storm and still use it on Verizon, but with the functions of the phone unlocked? I am currently on Verizon and I don't want to switch.
    01-01-09 06:20 PM
    No WiFi radio,,,,,,,,won't work Oh No Civic has heard the word WiFi...
    01-01-09 06:21 PM
    WIFI.....why? I really just dont understand.
    01-01-09 06:22 PM
    Priceless. Yes you can unlock the Storm and still use it on Verizon as you're unlocking a portions that has nothing to do with Verizon's service. But you still could regardless.
    01-01-09 06:24 PM
    WIFI.....why? I really just dont understand.

Wifi, because its a **** of a lot faster and it kinda makes sense to use something that is standard on a smartphone and other blackberrys.
    01-01-09 06:33 PM
    Wifi, because its a **** of a lot faster and it kinda makes sense to use something that is standard on a smartphone and other blackberrys.
    You can't unlock and use something that's not there to begin with.
    01-01-09 06:37 PM
    This aint any other SP or BB....its the Storm!

And why does it makes sense?
    01-01-09 06:40 PM
    I can only see 1 things wifi is good for

1- external modem for your laptop or GPS device.

Other than that you are already paying for a data package ******* use it.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 01-01-09 at 06:52 PM. Reason: language
    01-01-09 06:50 PM
    Wifi is good for a few different reasons. It's faster than HSPA or EVDO, it's good for those with low limit data plans, and it's great for corporate users who have low or no data plan and usually get crappy service at work. Plus it's just a nice option to have.

Which is why the 9520 has Wifi.

And if nobody needs it or Verizons' network is so great it doesn't need it, then why does the Niagara have Wifi? Exactly, it's a good option to have.
    01-01-09 06:55 PM
    It all depends on your own usage. I have no need for Wifi as 99% of my time I am in an extremely high signal coverage area. I don't utilize the browser except for on the fly info. I use it for email and phone calls - wifi is not important to me, however, CX's point is spot on if you have a need for it. I had a WM Titan/XV6800 that had wifi and never used it once.
    01-01-09 07:02 PM
    since when is it standard on other blackberries? there r more models without wifi than with wifi
    01-01-09 07:39 PM
    ^ Apart from the Storm, the last 5 BB's that have been released have had Wi-Fi.

Curve 8900, Bold, Pearl Flip, 8320, 8820.
    01-01-09 10:34 PM
    Didn't somebody point out that Verizon didn't want the WiFi to be included in the phone voluntarily? I wish it had it, but deal with it.
    01-01-09 10:37 PM
    ^ Apart from the Storm, the last 5 BB's that have been released have had Wi-Fi.

Curve 8900, Bold, Pearl Flip, 8320, 8820.
    Eh, 8110, 8130, 8330 and 8310 don't have WiFi. Not sure the exact order, but i know the 8330 was released after the 8320/8820.
    01-01-09 10:44 PM
    lol, funny.

Actually, I'm anxiously awaiting the 9520 so that we can see if the hardware id is 9500. If it is, then all the Storms probably have WIFI in them. RIM would only do this to be able to keep production costs down. It would be a lot more cost effective for them to produce 1 hardware model and control it via low level software and sell 3 different branded models. We already know the 9500 and 9530 are identical hardware wise, why would RIM do that with two models and then spend money producing different hardware on the third. Doesn't make financial sense to me, especially if they could produce 1 and sell as 3 without any productions issues or constraints.

I am speculating on this, but 66.66% model builds being identical sure look like good odds that the rest of the 33.33% will be the same. I guess we'll see soon enough.
    01-01-09 10:48 PM
    wifi is for poor people

if wifi is available, I will be in a static location
    if i am in a static location I can take out one of my laptops
    if i can do that....why the **** would I use my phone?

hence, wifi is for poor people who can't afford laptops to travel with.

/thread
    01-01-09 10:49 PM
    The WiFi radio would have to be listed in the FCC documentation wouldnt it? Even if it was inactive, the fact that it is there it should be declared.
    01-01-09 10:50 PM
    wifi is for poor people

/thread
    wow...

What about UMA? What about on a college campus where you are walking around and want to use the internet without having to sit down and use a laptop? What about wanting to surf on CDMA or 2G GSM and talk at the same time?
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 01-01-09 at 10:55 PM.
    01-01-09 10:52 PM
    wifi is for poor people

/thread
    What about streaming faster then EVDO Rev.A can handle now... oh like maybe SlingPlayer or something like that. More bandwidth is more bandwidth. With certain carrier WIFI on Blackberries even equates to UMA for your phone calls meaning no using minutes off your calling plan. I guess if you're on unlimited minutes, it doesn't matter, but even in a case like that, if the carrier signal is weak in someone's home from a perticular carrier which supports UMA, switching to WIFI/UMA while at home or at the office equates to better coverage support. What about remote admin tools for an admin inside the corporate network. If he/she is connected via WIFI on the inside, they don't have to worry about firewalling rules to run these tools on the BB connecting to the devices on the inside of the network. The applications are quite limitless if you think about it... it's not about "just Internet".
    01-01-09 10:55 PM
    The WiFi radio would have to be listed in the FCC documentation wouldnt it? Even if it was inactive, the fact that it is there it should be declared.
    I'm not sure, but I don't think so. As long as it's not a "function" of the device, it doesn't need to be on the FCC docs. I haven't looked, but I'm willing to bet the FCC docs for the 9500 don't have CDMA listed as a function, yet we know for sure the 9500 is hardware identical to the 9530. This is fact and not speculation. (the hardware identical part)
    01-01-09 10:58 PM
    The 9500 shouldnt be in the FCC docs at all. It should only have the 9530, RIM didnt need to submit the 9500 to the US Government since it isnt sold here. Better would be to check the 8830.
    01-01-09 10:59 PM
    The 9500 shouldnt be in the FCC docs at all. It should only have the 9530, RIM didnt need to submit the 9500 to the US Government since it isnt sold here. Better would be to check the 8830.
    lol, good point, duh on my part. The 8830 only has 2 GSM bands listed, but I've seen firmware references on the Qualcomm file dumps that show all 4 bands. Anyone know if Europe has any gov docs that need to be submited like we have here?
    01-01-09 11:06 PM
    it would make sense that the firmware is just an altered 8800 firmware to make the CDMA radio primary in place of the NA GSM bands. The hardware itself only has 2 listed in the GSM because that is all the device supports. As to the EU and FCC type docs, i could only assume they have SOMETHING but what that is I have no idea. Adding a WiFi radio isnt that hard for RIM to do, if you look at the 8800 vs the 8820 it really doesnt take up much board space, and its likely the space has already been allocated just the component is not present.
    01-01-09 11:09 PM
    Ok, so if you can unlock a Storm and use it on AT&T would the wifi actually work? Or was wifi physically taken out of the device itself? I was thinking that Verizon just kept it out of its software. I'm sure many of you have heard of jailbreaking iPhones (looking way better than the Storm now), what about doing that on the Storm?

All I want to know is if this is possible? Can you unlock the Storm and still use it on Verizon, but with the functions of the phone unlocked? I am currently on Verizon and I don't want to switch.
    I doubt it has the hardware

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 11:14 PM
    wow...

What about UMA? What about on a college campus where you are walking around and want to use the internet without having to sit down and use a laptop? What about wanting to surf on CDMA or 2G GSM and talk at the same time?
    walking acorss campus lets you use the same connection the whole time huh...must be some nice free municipal wifi in that location, and a 1 in 10000000000 location at that, lets make a phone for those 40 people in that location using the device, great marketing idea

What about streaming faster then EVDO Rev.A can handle now... oh like maybe SlingPlayer or something like that. More bandwidth is more bandwidth. With certain carrier WIFI on Blackberries even equates to UMA for your phone calls meaning no using minutes off your calling plan. I guess if you're on unlimited minutes, it doesn't matter, but even in a case like that, if the carrier signal is weak in someone's home from a perticular carrier which supports UMA, switching to WIFI/UMA while at home or at the office equates to better coverage support. What about remote admin tools for an admin inside the corporate network. If he/she is connected via WIFI on the inside, they don't have to worry about firewalling rules to run these tools on the BB connecting to the devices on the inside of the network. The applications are quite limitless if you think about it... it's not about "just Internet".
    again, if you are watching an entire show via slingplayer, the EVDO streams it fine, but if you want to "sit down" and watch one...laptop.

and with verizon your data doesn;t affect your talk minutes, so there goes that idea. and whya re you surfing and talkiing at the same time? why even bother talking to the person you are on the phone with. and if you are on a long conference call again...laptop with wifi.
    remote admin tools can be ran from a netbook/laptop more efficiently and quickly than a phone, if you are doing that you are just posing and trying to not look like the nerd you are...

again, lapop with wifi.

and the main reason ATT has wifi isn;t as another "option" it's because thier 3g network footprint looks like an infant's foot. they offer it because their network sucks, same goes for tmobile...see how that works...again..poor companies = poor people

so summary.
    Wifi is for poor people

01-01-09 11:28 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD