I've read that unlocking a phone has another advantage besides enabling the phone to be used on a different carrier than the one through which it was originally purchased. Many of the sites that offer the service also state that since unlocking removes the carrier-specific aspects of the software, the phone ends up with some increased memory and storage capacity, and free of all the "junk" that most carriers load on the phones.

I'm not interested in switching carriers; just wondering if anyone has tried this.
    01-30-11 11:37 PM
    What sites say this?

All unlocking does is remove the SIM lock. All those carrier specific aspects are sent to your phone when you activate it on their network. I suppose a true factory unbranded phone might have a little more memory because there isn't anything carrier specific on it at all to begin with, but to say that unlocking a phone from a carrier will give you more memory is just non-sense...
    01-30-11 11:46 PM
    What sites say this?

All unlocking does is remove the SIM lock. All those carrier specific aspects are sent to your phone when you activate it on their network. I suppose a true factory unbranded phone might have a little more memory because there isn't anything carrier specific on it at all to begin with, but to say that unlocking a phone from a carrier will give you more memory is just non-sense...
    I didn't save the links since I was just browsing and reading, didn't recall any of them as being associated with folks who post here. One site showed some screen shots of a Nokia phone, I think, and one had Motorolas and BBs. Will look further and post if I can find either one again.

I figured that all the carrier-specific stuff would get pushed to the phone anyhow when it was activated on the "new" network, or just wouldn't go away if you stayed on the same one. So there wouldn't be any real gain in memory.

Thanks for the response.
    01-31-11 12:09 AM
    yes, its the sim unlocking only. you might need to install a new software in it to get rid of carrier specific stuff.
    01-31-11 08:18 AM
    You can't get rid of the 'carrier specific stuff'. It is pushed by the carrier as a function of the device being active on the network.
    01-31-11 11:20 AM
    Unlocking the phone does not remove the carrier-specific aspects of the software...
    01-31-11 03:16 PM
    Agreed folks...unlocking it allows the following:

1) You can use your phone on another GSM network in your country, or while traveling abroad
    2) You can usually get more money for your phone if you sell it since its able to be used on more networks

It DOES NOT remove anything from your phone, carrier specific or not. In order to do that, we need your actual phone and rarely do it for customers because the process is so tedious with so few benefits
    01-31-11 07:47 PM
    raises re-sale value around 50-100$ which is nice. i'd suggest everyone unlock their phone before selling it.

Also when you unlock it moving the data services over to your new network is sometimes a pain, depending on what network your going to use it on.
    02-03-11 11:40 AM
    I've read that unlocking a phone has another advantage besides enabling the phone to be used on a different carrier than the one through which it was originally purchased. Many of the sites that offer the service also state that since unlocking removes the carrier-specific aspects of the software, the phone ends up with some increased memory and storage capacity, and free of all the "junk" that most carriers load on the phones.

I'm not interested in switching carriers; just wondering if anyone has tried this.
    Will not remove all the carrier branded stuff
    02-06-11 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD