i got a code off horizon and im wondering if i debrand the phone software will the unlocking wipe away?

sorry if this is a stupid question it happened with my sony ericsson
    06-29-09 03:39 PM
    Yes. It is.
    06-29-09 03:43 PM
    The unlock doesn't go away. I believe that if the phone was re-branded back
    then it would be locked once again.
    06-29-09 03:49 PM
    If I recall you can have it rebranded by the service provider.
    06-29-09 03:52 PM
    would the unlock code would work a second time since it's the same pin and imei?
    06-29-09 04:19 PM
    would the unlock code would work a second time since it's the same pin and imei?
    I don't think so because if it's rebranded then they can create a new code.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 04:32 PM
    I'm not sure? But I've received refurbs in the past that were unlocked.
    06-29-09 05:35 PM
    I don't think so because if it's rebranded then they can create a new code.

i think this is wrong. im pretty sure the lock code is unique and created with an algorithm at the factory using the IMEI and PIN and held in a different part of the phone, not with the branding. on most other phones, it just uses the IMEI. although some companies might use a random generator, im pretty sure BB's use the IMEI and PIN so it should work again. unbranding/rebranding wont necessarily unlock/relock a phone. when you use MFI to unbrand a Bold or 8300 series, you still need to check the unlock button prior to unbranding. if not, you will have an unbranded but locked phone.

this is how carriers can get the code after being locked by the manufacturer. your information is put into the calculator and generated. old school nokia unlock generators can be found online once someone cracked the algorithm. it used to use the IMEI and the device type number to generate a code.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 06-29-09 at 07:00 PM.
    06-29-09 06:54 PM
    I'm not sure? But I've received refurbs in the past that were unlocked.
    heres a likely scenario. the original locked/branded phones were sent back to RIM for repair, unlocked, rebuilt and put into storage. when needed by a carrier as a replacement, orders are placed, phone is rebranded to the carrier requesting it and sent off yet still unlocked. maybe this is done so they have a large pool of unlocked phones they choose from and just rebrand them as needed to be returned to the carrier. im not sure of this, but can explain why refurbs are unlocked.
    06-29-09 07:05 PM
    I'm new to the whole unlocking thing but what are the benefits to unlocking a phone and what are the cons?

06-29-09 07:08 PM
    For me it makes the odds better for resalem it does not limit my phone options. Downfall is loading settings for my carriers.

06-29-09 08:14 PM
    I'm new to the whole unlocking thing but what are the benefits to unlocking a phone and what are the cons?

you are able to use the phone no matter what carrier the phone was locked to. im currently using an unlocked, T-mobile branded 8900 on AT&T's network. and also, the resale value is much higher for unlocked phones and even higher than that for unbranded.
    06-30-09 01:04 AM
    Can we get a final say whether wiping the device will relock the phone?

06-30-09 01:10 AM
    im nearly 100% sure it wont. like i said above, when i used MFI to unbrand my Bold, i still had to manually click the unlock button in the menu. if i didnt, it wouldve been unbranded but locked. this leads me to believe the SIM lock is held on another part of the phone than where the branding and OS goes.

worst case, use the code again to unlock it, it should be the same. besides, how do you plan on unbranding it if the only leaked software to do so doesnt even work on the 8900?
    Last edited by dictoresno; 06-30-09 at 06:17 AM.
    06-30-09 06:14 AM
    Can we get a final say whether wiping the device will relock the phone?

Wiping the device.... OS will 100% not lock the phone.
    06-30-09 06:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD