I bought a Bold online from someone who claimed it was "unlocked". I am going over to England for spring break and was wondering if I'd be able to use it over there if I can score a sim for whichever network they use. Does anyone know if it is indeed unlocked, if there is a way to tell? Also, how would I be able to unlock it oversees in england for instance? Thank you.

OK so I figured out how to tell and it is indeed unlocked. I guess my question is how to get it to work over in England. Would I be paying a "pay as you go" fee if I were to get it to work on one of their networks? Just curious on a plan pricing option. I'd only be there for about a week.
    Last edited by tom1l21; 03-05-09 at 11:37 PM.
    03-05-09 11:34 PM
    I think you can buy prepaid SIMs out there, but I am not entirely sure...
    03-05-09 11:44 PM
    when i went to europe in the summer i got a pay as you go sim card, and you can reload as you go along. i think i went with tmobile, and i think you get free incoming there, not sure if its the same in england, and i was using euros and if remember right it was 50 euros for 500 minutes with the sim, but this was in serbia and in macedonia
    03-05-09 11:58 PM
    I think you can buy prepaid SIMs out there, but I am not entirely sure...
    If you just need the phone - any pre-paid SIM should work. I would do this often in New Caledonia and Indonesia (with an Australian phone) - just buy a local pre-paid SIM and use that.

Getting data capability (email, internet etc) is a different matter - not sure if this is possible..

As regards incoming call charges - North America is the only place I have seen where (some providors) charge for incoming calls.
    Last edited by carsten; 03-06-09 at 12:08 AM.
    03-06-09 12:05 AM
    data is possible, but it goes against your credits, and you have to adjust your settings and stuff but it was too expensive, only sms worked, and no bb messenger
    03-06-09 12:09 AM
    If you go to options>advanced options>sim card at the very top it should say "security: disabled" if it doesn't then it's still locked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 12:31 AM
    Look at prepaidgsm.net for specific prepaid GSM questions.
    03-06-09 01:03 AM
    If you go to options>advanced options>sim card at the very top it should say "security: disabled" if it doesn't then it's still locked.

\

That's weird. Mine says "SIM Card: Security Disabled" but I have not unlocked my phone at all. It is simply as was given to me by my carrier. I guess, since you are paying a contract for 2 years and the phone is yours afterwards anyway, they might not care too much to lock it?

I suppose I should try a different SIM and see?
    03-06-09 01:51 AM
    I apologize. Huge error on my part. Here's how to check if your phone is unlocked.

Options>advanced options>sim card, while on the screen type "MEPD" and your network should be "disabled." If it's not disabled then the phone is still locked.

03-06-09 02:00 AM
    Get an Orange Pay As You Go SIM when you arrive in the UK. They provide BIS on Pay As You Go, no other carrier in the UK is offering this service.
    03-06-09 03:48 AM
    Get an Orange Pay As You Go SIM when you arrive in the UK. They provide BIS on Pay As You Go, no other carrier in the UK is offering this service.

Wow thats pretty cool. How do they charge you for data? Is it a flat fee for say 10mb or something like that? I plan on using about 100 mins tops while i'm over there. Thanks for the help.
    03-06-09 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD