So ive had an iPhone for 2 years and we just switched to VW and now me and the girl have BB storms. My iPhone was unlocked and jailbroken with the latest software the only reason I did this was so I didnt have to pay for a data plan (used Wi-Fi), which at the time i didnt use, and to have Cydia which aloud for the download of free stuff apps themes ect.

Now im curious, What are the benifits of unlocking and upgrading to the most recent OS? What does it do for the phone? I have whatever OS was on it the day I bought it. Anyone have a link that explains the benifits of doing it to the BB storm?

Thanks!!
    05-18-09 01:35 AM
    unlock=sim free so it could be use on any GSM network provider

upgrading to most OS, think of it as Windows Millenium to Windows XP and now Windows Vista

Some are happy with officially firmware on the phone, most don't included me. SO by flashing to the latest leaked software, phone performance has been improved in many different ways while waiting for the next officially firmware from VZW.
    05-18-09 02:02 AM
    well the .75 thats on the storm now is crap you really need to upgrade to a new os everything is faster browser,accelerometer,switching apps. etc......75 was basically an official update to the os just to keep storm owners happy for the time being (which it didn't)....but of course in the meanwhile there has been alot of good leaked os's and hybrids that are fabulous on the storm i would highly recommend upgrading.......
    05-18-09 02:04 AM
    welcome to CB!

you're on VZW so unlocking won't help you much unless you travel int'l and want to use a local SIM to avoid gashing long-distance charges...

the OS builds are drastically improved over the "official supported" version that comes loaded on the device. there are bugs and flaws, but there are also work arounds. i'd say stay on .75 to get used to the device for a week, then start messing with that stuff.

if you need help, feel free to PM me or email me, patches152@gmail.com.
    05-18-09 02:11 AM
    I think most people expect the bb storm to have some secret unlockable os like the iphone has installer and cydia but in reality the best we bb users have is new little improvements in leaked os's. I wish some kick *** dev could manipulate the blackberry os to be something stable and as awesome as the iphone. You know like a blueberry os that would enable flick scrolling and a proprietary free app installer with some kick *** games.this has been done on other devices (ie. Rockbox) so why not on blackberry?

Oh and to answer the op the bennifits would be stability and minor new features and speed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 02:40 AM
    I think most people expect the bb storm to have some secret unlockable os like the iphone has installer and cydia but in reality the best we bb users have is new little improvements in leaked os's. I wish some kick *** dev could manipulate the blackberry os to be something stable and as awesome as the iphone. You know like a blueberry os that would enable flick scrolling and a proprietary free app installer with some kick *** games.this has been done on other devices (ie. Rockbox) so why not on blackberry?

Oh and to answer the op the bennifits would be stability and minor new features and speed.

yeah thats what I miss about the iPhone was the Cydia. Too cool kept me busy for months with everything you could do with that. So basically its a hurry up and wait to catch up to the iPhone's capabilities?! Ill look into upgrading OS's what does everyone recomend for my phone? I just want it to run smoother it lags alot and does the "reboot" deal with the red light and hour glass at least once a day. Kinda annoying... Someone said upgrade it and that will stop and kill the lag im having. Its not the mem and i only have 2 themes and 4 apps. So it shouldnt be slow right?
    05-18-09 02:54 AM
    welcome to CB!

you're on VZW so unlocking won't help you much unless you travel int'l and want to use a local SIM to avoid gashing long-distance charges...

the OS builds are drastically improved over the "official supported" version that comes loaded on the device. there are bugs and flaws, but there are also work arounds. i'd say stay on .75 to get used to the device for a week, then start messing with that stuff.

if you need help, feel free to PM me or email me, patches152@gmail.com.

Thanks!

10 char...
    05-18-09 02:55 AM
    just haven't seen you around before, so figured i'd offer my help if you need it on this topic or otherwise...
    05-18-09 02:56 AM
    btw, all of your original questions have been answered at this point. anything else you wanna know or have further clarification on?
    05-18-09 02:58 AM
    just haven't seen you around before, so figured i'd offer my help if you need it on this topic or otherwise...
    Yeah switched from the iPhone to BB Storm because I HATED Att with a passion. Now ive come to realize they all just stick their hand in your pocket...
    05-18-09 02:58 AM
    Some advice. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES expect an iphone out of a Blackberry. They are two totally seperate beasts.
    05-18-09 02:59 AM
    oh no I dont... Just trying to figure out how to make my new beast run smoother without the lag im getting. Seems like somedays its okay and others its terrible. Someone on here told me to update the OS so here I am. Just dont know how to or which to go with...
    05-18-09 03:01 AM
    okay well ill check back in the morning. Im passing out for the night
    05-18-09 03:10 AM
    Go with any of the 141 hybrids they're all good. I don't think anyone gave u a straight answer yet.

05-18-09 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD