My understanding is that term 'lock' is used short for 'SIM locked' which means the GSM phone component is (via software) forced to work only with a single carrier such as ATT or T-mobile. This question is somewhat of a CDMA twist to the notion of locking the phone to a carrier.

That being said, I am intersted in using the carrier known as 'straight talk'. This carrier is a MVNO of the Verizon (CDMA) flavor. Specifically, i would like to use a Blackberry Tour or Storm handset on this carrier. Given that there are two CDMA carriers with Blackberries, (Sprint & VZN), I would like to know if it is possible to use these handsets on straight talk. Not really sure what the right questions are but here goes:

1) Does the StraightTalk network blocks registration of VZN handsets?
    2) Does the StraightTalk network blocks registration of Sprint handsets?
    3) What is the CDMA locking model: GSM uses a 'password' to unlock.

Hopefully this is posted to the right place.
    03-03-10 11:32 PM
    My understanding is that term 'lock' is used short for 'SIM locked' which means the GSM phone component is (via software) forced to work only with a single carrier such as ATT or T-mobile. This question is somewhat of a CDMA twist to the notion of locking the phone to a carrier.

That being said, I am intersted in using the carrier known as 'straight talk'. This carrier is a MVNO of the Verizon (CDMA) flavor. Specifically, i would like to use a Blackberry Tour or Storm handset on this carrier. Given that there are two CDMA carriers with Blackberries, (Sprint & VZN), I would like to know if it is possible to use these handsets on straight talk. Not really sure what the right questions are but here goes:

1) Does the StraightTalk network blocks registration of VZN handsets?
    2) Does the StraightTalk network blocks registration of Sprint handsets?
    3) What is the CDMA locking model: GSM uses a 'password' to unlock.

Hopefully this is posted to the right place.
    StraightTalk is new to me, but I'm sure they work just like MetroPCS and Cricket. It would require the cdma devices be flashed to the StraightTalk network and before doing so and spending money on this process you will need to ask that carrier DIRECTLY and ask them if they will add that esn to their network.
    03-03-10 11:39 PM
    Very sensible: ask the MVNO if they will accept the ESN. That being said, I would need a BB ESN. I guess I will need to ask friends if they have an old Storm or Tour.
    03-03-10 11:42 PM
    Very sensible: ask the MVNO if they will accept the ESN. That being said, I would need a BB ESN. I guess I will need to ask friends if they have an old Storm or Tour.
    Just got word they will only activate their OWN stock, so your SOL.
    03-03-10 11:43 PM
    It may work for phone only but no data. Do they sell BBs.
    03-03-10 11:48 PM
    Too bad. If I wanted to ensure that only StraightTalk branded handsets were activated I would have a list of ESNs that are activate-able.

They do not have BBs, which would mean no BIS, however, I would be OK with that. I wanted to use a Storm or Tour because, it would provide quicker web surfing then on an IDEN blackberry.

I guess the best deal for me would be the Boost 8830 at $60 per month (prepaid).
    03-04-10 01:06 AM
    Too bad. If I wanted to ensure that only StraightTalk branded handsets were activated I would have a list of ESNs that are activate-able.

They do not have BBs, which would mean no BIS, however, I would be OK with that. I wanted to use a Storm or Tour because, it would provide quicker web surfing then on an IDEN blackberry.

I guess the best deal for me would be the Boost 8830 at $60 per month (prepaid).
    Yup or Metro PCS as well.
    03-04-10 01:08 AM
    MetroPCS has a $40 a month plan with unlimited data, voice, SMS: I now wonder if a BB Storm 2 or Tour could be used? (I have no need for BIS service). Maybe others have flashed an 8830 to MetroPCS?
    03-04-10 01:22 AM
    BIS is the data service for ANY BlackBerry. Metro will NOT activate a device they didn't sell from their inventory. They PREVIOUSLY did, but have since discontinued that practice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-10 01:36 AM
    MetroPCS has a $40 a month plan with unlimited data, voice, SMS: I now wonder if a BB Storm 2 or Tour could be used? (I have no need for BIS service). Maybe others have flashed an 8830 to MetroPCS?
    You can do it. Basically you will need to get it flashed, and then you will need to get the ESN added to their database through a source we have (costs $50 and takes up to 3 days). Once that's done you will be able to use Voice/SMS/Browser but you will not be able to use BIS (Email/BBM).
    03-04-10 10:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD