03-20-09 12:56 PM
26 12
tools
    Just wondering if unlocking my rogers bold would casue any poromlems to software or anything on my phone or account? I got an unlock code for my bold but now I'm a little nervous to use it. I was told that it is permanent. Even if I upgrade my OS its still unlocked. Also can rogers find out? Thanks Guys!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 10:51 PM
    There is no real reason to unlocking a rogers phone unless if you travel a lot.
    If you do not travel out of Canada, you wasted time and money in getting that code as rogers is currently the only gsm carrier.

03-03-09 12:54 AM
    I got the code for free, I will be going on vaca for 2 weeks and I wanted to be able to use my phone while away. Also I always upgrade my phones every year, this way when I sell it on ebay I can list to as an unlocked phone, and it will be available to Everyone. Can I purchase t-mobile + vodaphone sims with pre-paid voice and Data?
    thank you
    03-03-09 01:03 AM
    I always unlock my phone
    I am like you I keep them a few months then sell them
    An unlocked phone has a better chance at selling
    I am on my 4th BB all unlocked no issues
    If not mistaken it voids the warranty

Wayne
    03-03-09 11:47 AM
    did u loose anything once you unlocked it?? Ive heard people say that programs have disappeard? Also when I put in a different SIM do i loose all of my HOME BBMESS contacts? Will they have to add me again? THanks!
    03-03-09 01:45 PM
    did u loose anything once you unlocked it?? Ive heard people say that programs have disappeard? Also when I put in a different SIM do i loose all of my HOME BBMESS contacts? Will they have to add me again? THanks!
    People unlock phones so that they can use different carriers when they travel. All features remained.

How did u get the free code?

Enjoy.
    03-03-09 08:35 PM
    I got the free unlock code yesterday too! It works flawlessly!
    03-03-09 09:16 PM
    Cellunlock.net was giving it away for free for one day, now its 50percent off. I heard some people may not be able to use youtube anymore? That rogers re-diretcs u? Is this true?

I got the free unlock code yesterday too! It works flawlessly!
    03-03-09 10:55 PM
    Cellunlock.net was giving it away for free for one day, now its 50percent off. I heard some people may not be able to use youtube anymore? That rogers re-diretcs u? Is this true?

I don't really use youtube that often on my Bold. But I checked it out for you... it works! It didn't redirect me or anything like that! No problems with youtube!
    03-03-09 11:58 PM
    i got my code from rogers.

03-05-09 02:50 AM
    double post... (the INTRAWEB DIED)
    Last edited by shabbasuraj; 03-05-09 at 09:28 PM.
    03-05-09 02:51 AM
    REALLYY??? Rogers actually gave you the code? What did you say?
    03-05-09 01:22 PM
    I unlocked my Bold as soon as I got it. It had no impact on the performance of it.

03-06-09 05:27 PM
    Is the unlock code reusable on different phones or specific to individual phones?
    03-18-09 07:33 AM
    I tired to get my code from rogers, because I'm in the military and was going to a-stan but they told me that they don't give them out anymore so I had to use a third party

03-18-09 07:45 AM
    Just wondering if unlocking my rogers bold would casue any poromlems to software or anything on my phone or account? I got an unlock code for my bold but now I'm a little nervous to use it. I was told that it is permanent. Even if I upgrade my OS its still unlocked. Also can rogers find out? Thanks Guys!!
    did u loose anything once you unlocked it?? Ive heard people say that programs have disappeard?
    Unlocking your Bold shouldn't cause any problems whatsoever with the phone's OS or any of the applications. Yes, it is permanent and even with OS upgrades/downgrades it will remain unlocked. And, no, I'm pretty sure Rogers can't find out unless you take it to a Rogers rep and they actually go out of their way to look.

I heard some people may not be able to use youtube anymore? That rogers re-diretcs u? Is this true?
    YouTube runs exactly the same on my Bold now that it's unlocked as it did before I unlocked it. That's not to say that other people didn't have some problems maybe, but I don't think that it should have an impact.

If not mistaken it voids the warranty
    Over the years, I've had phones repaired or replaced under warranty that were unlocked. That being said, maybe it technically voids the warranty, and in practice, they just don't bother checking to see every phone they receive for repair/replacement is unlocked. Although, when I think about it, it would be pretty harsh of them to claim that unlocking voids the warranty - you aren't opening the phone, tampering with components and hardware, soldering, or anything like that - you're just entering a code (some keystrokes) on a menu on your BB. And, also, if I'm not mistaken, the warranty is usually through the manufacturer (?) and not Rogers (although you will call them to facilitate the repair or replacement of your phone under warranty), so I can't see RIM caring whether or not your phone is unlocked. Anyways, the verdict is still out on this one I guess.

Can I purchase t-mobile + vodaphone sims with pre-paid voice and Data?
    As far as I knooow (and don't quote me on this) you will have a hard time finding pre-paid data. But I could be wrong (I have been before)!

Is the unlock code reusable on different phones or specific to individual phones?
    The unlock code is phone (IMEI) specific, so it will only work with the device it was generated for.

Skytrain
    Last edited by Skytrain; 03-18-09 at 12:38 PM.
    03-18-09 12:36 PM
    i got my code from rogers.

No you didn't.
    03-19-09 03:08 AM
    I believe carriers have stopped giving out codes to unlock the phone. I was travelling out of the country and asked rogers to see if my phone can be unlocked, and they just said no.
    Rogers is pretty stingy in this respect but a lot of other carriers in the USA/Europe will give them out.

Skytrain
    03-19-09 03:22 PM
    I had something weird happen today when I unlocked my Bold with the Cellunlock code. After 5 minutes all of my messages from my @rogers.com account disappeared from my Bold's message file (and the bold @rogers.com message file). I have lots of free memory at 40MB. New messages are arriving fine...just lost all of the old messages.
    Anybody else have this happen after an unlock?
    03-19-09 03:40 PM
    it will have no effect on your account, rogers does not promote or encourage that you unlock your phone, the phone is yours. you can do with it as you please, unlocking your phone will void out your warranty through rogers.
    03-19-09 05:50 PM
    I had something weird happen today when I unlocked my Bold with the Cellunlock code. After 5 minutes all of my messages from my @rogers.com account disappeared from my Bold's message file (and the bold @rogers.com message file). I have lots of free memory at 40MB. New messages are arriving fine...just lost all of the old messages.
    Anybody else have this happen after an unlock?
    I unlocked my phone via cellunlock and didn't loose anything. I just did a battery pull and its all good today
    03-19-09 06:09 PM
    I'm just trying to figure out how this unlocked berry thing works; I'm live in canada, if I were to go down to the states for a couple of weeks what would I do? Get a SIM card and that's it? Do I keep the same number or is a new one assigned? If I do keep the same number, are people from home still able to call me?

03-19-09 09:21 PM
    I'm just trying to figure out how this unlocked berry thing works; I'm live in canada, if I were to go down to the states for a couple of weeks what would I do? Get a SIM card and that's it? Do I keep the same number or is a new one assigned? If I do keep the same number, are people from home still able to call me?

The SIM card you get in the US would have a phone number assigned to it. You can still use your number down there, but you'd have to use your Rogers SIM card and therefore pay roaming.
    03-19-09 09:29 PM
    The SIM card you get in the US would have a phone number assigned to it. You can still use your number down there, but you'd have to use your Rogers SIM card and therefore pay roaming.
    So basically you don't use your own line at all? (If I understand correctly, its like using another phone)

03-20-09 05:17 AM
    So basically you don't use your own line at all? (If I understand correctly, its like using another phone)
    Yes, if you go to the states and get a SIM on prepaid from a US carrier it will be completely separate (number and all) from your Rogers SIM/number/line, etc.

Skytrain
    03-20-09 12:42 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD