I am on a Canadian carrier and wondering what will the unlocking option give me extra? If i do unlock my phone does this mean when i go to the states i will no longer pay a roaming fee? Or is this only to be able to re sell your phone ?

Just can't seem to get a straight answer that is why i am asking.
    09-28-10 09:05 PM
    If you UNLOCK your phone you can put another carriers SIM in it, so you can switch from Rogers to Bell to Telus.
    09-28-10 09:06 PM
    Unlocking just unrestricts it to one carrier. I have an unlocked 9700 and can use it overseas with another companys sim card, which is what I usually do i the middle east. If you come to the states, you can get an ATT sim card and use the phone.

EDIT******* looks like this got answered as I was typing.
    09-28-10 09:07 PM
    ok so this does not cut out the roaming fees i get when i go to the states.
    09-28-10 09:08 PM
    Unlocking your phone will not change the roaming charges if you continue using
    your present SIM card while in the states.

What most people do is purchase a pre-paid SIM in their destination of travel
    and use that service instead.
    09-28-10 09:08 PM
    Unlocking just unrestricts it to one carrier. I have an unlocked 9700 and can use it overseas with another companys sim card, which is what I usually do i the middle east. If you come to the states, you can get an ATT sim card and use the phone.

EDIT******* looks like this got answered as I was typing.
    thanks for the fast replies but how do i get sim from another carrier?
    09-28-10 09:09 PM
    guys thanks a million for the really fast replies you have greatly helped my with the uncertainty i had with this issue! This place is the best!
    09-28-10 09:11 PM
    I am on a Canadian carrier and wondering what will the unlocking option give me extra? If i do unlock my phone does this mean when i go to the states i will no longer pay a roaming fee? Or is this only to be able to re sell your phone ?

Just can't seem to get a straight answer that is why i am asking.
    Yes no more roaming fees, but this will require you to buy a local sim card.
    09-28-10 10:51 PM
    You can pick up a local sim in all cellphone stores. In some asian countries, you can even pick them up in a 7/11 convenience store!
    09-29-10 07:07 PM
    ok so this does not cut out the roaming fees i get when i go to the states.
    No but when you get to the USA, just grab a local prepaid SIM card..and give the US number to you friends back home..(let them pay LD to call you )
    09-30-10 11:51 AM
    Lol 7/11

It's IMEI Base so any carrier works

<Cmn>
    10-05-10 04:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD