I'm in the States for a 3 month visit and ordered my girlfriend to buy a mobile phone somewhere.
    She came back with a Blackberry 9630, which she bought really cheap from a Chinese guy in a really small shop.
    The Blackberry shows sings of heavy usage and also had some data on its mini sd card.

So as you see I have some doubt this was legal, it could be a stolen Blackberry, right ?

Although the guy told her the BlackBerry was unlocked, it is not.

I'm trying to use it with a T-Mobile SIM card, the Blackberry has Verizon printed on it. I figured out I need to buy some kind of unlock code.

Is this purchase safe for me ? Or could I get in any kind of trouble if this BlackBerry is really stolen, as I provide unique data of the BlackBerry and make a connection to my credit card ?
    If somebody report this BlackBerry as stolen, would it be illegal if I own, unlock and use the BlackBerry, even if I'm not aware of the origin of the BlackBerry ?

I thought of giving it back, but the chances are pretty low i will get the money back ... no receipt
    Also calling the police isn't really a option, I don't have a proof it's stolen, or even that she purchased the phone in this store ...

Please don't make any comment on the awesome purchase of my girl, i'm pretty sure she'll go to some kind of official store next time.
    Last edited by Remy Zero; 07-09-10 at 09:28 AM.
    07-09-10 09:17 AM
    Just because it has data on it doesn't mean it was stolen so no reason to really jump to conclusions here. If not unlocked then you can get it unlocked and still use it with any GSM carrier.
    07-10-10 09:58 AM
    Might not be stolen, you should be good. As Carrier mentioned, you can get it unlocked and used with T-Mobile. You won't get it any trouble if the phone ever gets reported stolen.
    07-11-10 10:57 PM
    Had a customer with a similar problem recently. They got it unlocked and are using it on T-Mobile without any problems. You should be good to go going forward with your unlock. Good luck!
    07-12-10 01:59 PM
    Agreed. Nothing will happen, but if it does just tell the carrier the story.

But realistically get it unlocked and you can use it on Tmobile
    07-12-10 04:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD