Hi guys,
    I've recently acquired a Curve 8320 that is branded for a Central American carrier. I'm using T-Mobile here in the US, and I want to unlock the phone and use it with T-Mobile, and if possible get UMA to work as well... What is the best way to go about this??

I've contacted T-Mobile and they won't give me the unlock code for the phone. They told me to contact the original carrier. This may be possible, but is very difficult at the moment, and I doubt that they would give me the code anyway (or at least not in a timely manner)... So, am I basically stuck paying to use an unlocking code request service?? Or can I use something like MFI Multiloader to do it??

Once I do get it unlocked, I'd also like to activate UMA... It seems like there are many tutorials out there that will be able to guide me through this... Or if I use MFI Multiloader to install the T-Mobile version of the BB OS, will UMA be automatically enabled as well??

Please help
    01-21-10 01:20 AM
    Hi guys,
    I've recently acquired a Curve 8320 that is branded for a Central American carrier. I'm using T-Mobile here in the US, and I want to unlock the phone and use it with T-Mobile, and if possible get UMA to work as well... What is the best way to go about this??

I've contacted T-Mobile and they won't give me the unlock code for the phone. They told me to contact the original carrier. This may be possible, but is very difficult at the moment, and I doubt that they would give me the code anyway (or at least not in a timely manner)... So, am I basically stuck paying to use an unlocking code request service?? Or can I use something like MFI Multiloader to do it??

Once I do get it unlocked, I'd also like to activate UMA... It seems like there are many tutorials out there that will be able to guide me through this... Or if I use MFI Multiloader to install the T-Mobile version of the BB OS, will UMA be automatically enabled as well??

Please help
    We or any reliable unlocker here can help you unlock your Blackberry, using the other software can brick your Blackberry
    01-21-10 09:50 AM
    Unless that carrier uses UMA it will not have UMA with T-Mobile.
    01-21-10 01:23 PM
    True, I have not heard of anyone taking another carrier's phone and enabling UMA with tmobile
    01-21-10 01:25 PM
    True, I have not heard of anyone taking another carrier's phone and enabling UMA with tmobile
    Do you use your UMA a lot? just asking because when I had T-Mobile, never turned it on once
    01-21-10 01:38 PM
    We or any reliable unlocker here can help you unlock your Blackberry, using the other software can brick your Blackberry
    $38 for Digicel! Whooo... that's a little pricey.. but i suppose its still better than buying a used T-Mobile one for $90-$120....

awww really? darn, I totally thought that's what was happening in all those how-to's I read last night... but I guess it was late and I misunderstood that they were just making unlocked phones that already had UMA capability work with another carrier's UMA.... So, it's really not possible?? I don't believe it!

Do you use your UMA a lot? just asking because when I had T-Mobile, never turned it on once
    Are you kidding!!?? I LOVE UMA!!

It's basically one of the only reasons I'm still with T-Mobile... (and because of their free tethering). Plus, SHHHH, don't tell anyone, but if you disable the cellular radio and only use UMA, it will work overseas... Combine that with iScoot for Skype and you never have to worry about international roaming... I'm also able to split a mere 700 peak minutes/month with my girlfriend on a family plan because we both have UMA capable phones (My Pearl 8120, and her Nokia 6301)...

However, she's not really happy with the call quality or features of the Nokia, especially after trying out my 8120... So, we got her family in El Salvador to send an old Curve that they weren't using... and now I'm trying to unlock it (and make it work with UMA, if possible)

If UMA really isn't possible, then I may have to convince her to sell it after we unlock it, and buy another pearl or pearl flip that will work with UMA... Or an even better plan yet: Let her use it for a couple of months until I'm eligible for an upgrade discount. Then, sell the 8320, give her my 8120, and purchase a new 9700

Then I'd have everything: 3G, Wi-Fi, GPS, UMA and tethering...
    01-21-10 07:39 PM
    You can use coupon code "crackb50" and get 50%

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 07:52 PM
    Cheers. I actually just found the same code on Google... and I think I will do this, as I highly doubt Digicel is willing to give up their code too easily, and I'm afraid that I might brick the phone using MML...

Another question though: Can I upgrade the firmware after I unlock it?? Will the phone still be unlocked? Can I upgrade from 4.2.2.176 to the T-Mobile release of 4.5.0.81?? Or should I do this before I unlock it?? Is there any chance of bricking a phone by unlocking it (other than by entering the wrong unlock code too many times)?

Edit: Found Digicel's 4.5.075 firmware.. Is it a safer bet to upgrade to this version before I unlock??
    Last edited by firstorbit84; 01-21-10 at 08:15 PM.
    01-21-10 08:11 PM
    Cheers. I actually just found the same code on Google... and I think I will do this, as I highly doubt Digicel is willing to give up their code too easily, and I'm afraid that I might brick the phone using MML...

Another question though: Can I upgrade the firmware after I unlock it?? Will the phone still be unlocked? Can I upgrade from 4.2.2.176 to the T-Mobile release of 4.5.0.81?? Or should I do this before I unlock it?? Is there any chance of bricking a phone by unlocking it (other than by entering the wrong unlock code too many times)?

Edit: Found Digicel's 4.5.075 firmware.. Is it a safer bet to upgrade to this version before I unlock??
    Great! Don't worry you can upgrade and the phone will never relock. You can unlock it before or after. Blackberry unlocking is permanent.
    01-21-10 10:07 PM
    Unlocked! Thanks cellunlock.net!
    01-21-10 10:48 PM
    Unless that carrier uses UMA it will not have UMA with T-Mobile.
    Booya to both of ya! UMA enabled!

Search & Read: It does a BB good
    UMA Device Swapping?
    01-22-10 02:21 AM
    Don't knock it till you try it. Seeing is believing
    01-22-10 10:32 AM
    Unlocked! Thanks cellunlock.net!
    You're very welcome!
    01-22-10 10:36 AM
    Don't knock it till you try it. Seeing is believing
    Not sure what you mean by this... but if you're doubting that I was able to do this, then you're wrong. I definitely got it working using those steps, and it was quite simple actually. The hardest part was getting to the escreens. You also have to make sure that you have a sim card installed and are connected to a wireless network with the "Wi-Fi" logo lit up, or else I don't think the "UMA Options" menu will be there...

The only thing that told me the original carrier didn't support UMA was that there were no existing profiles in the UMA Options menu, where I created a new profile... I can post pics later of the phone connected to UMA with no logo at the bottom of the face plate, and pics of the Digicel-specific BB OS 4.5 loaded on there. BTW, I had to re-enter the UMA profile, and re-trust the T-Mobile certificates when I upgraded the OS.
    01-22-10 02:57 PM
    Not sure what you mean by this... but if you're doubting that I was able to do this, then you're wrong. I definitely got it working using those steps, and it was quite simple actually. The hardest part was getting to the escreens. You also have to make sure that you have a sim card installed and are connected to a wireless network with the "Wi-Fi" logo lit up, or else I don't think the "UMA Options" menu will be there...

The only thing that told me the original carrier didn't support UMA was that there were no existing profiles in the UMA Options menu, where I created a new profile... I can post pics later of the phone connected to UMA with no logo at the bottom of the face plate, and pics of the Digicel-specific BB OS 4.5 loaded on there. BTW, I had to re-enter the UMA profile, and re-trust the T-Mobile certificates when I upgraded the OS.
    Great to know!
    01-22-10 03:49 PM
    I have used Unlock Blackberry & Any Cell Phones Remotely by Code | CellUnlock.net several times and am quite happy with them!
    02-22-10 01:08 PM
    Thank you for the referral, much appreciated!
    02-25-10 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD